2006 9-3

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Safest car ever

by Saab enthusiast from on May 1, 2011

Safety, Safety, Safety!!! Was involved in an accident where the other driver (street racing at the time) struck my Saab at the right rear corner sending me across the intersection and into a brick wall, then back into a light pole. My left arm was pinned by the pole. When I regained consciousness, the paramedics pulling me out were surprised anyone even survived the wreck. Had it not been for the rollcage construction of that car, I would have at least been left a parapelgic and probably lost my arm. Can't say enough good things about it.

Really good car

by saab93turbo4 from New Jersey on February 10, 2011

I honestly love my 06 Saab 9-3 2.0T. There have always been mixed reviews on Saab's reliability especially in the 9-3 range. It seems like some reviewers have a terrible car and some have an excellent car, there really never seems to be a grey area with Saabs. Fortunately, for me, I believe that I have a very reliable one. It has had a few electronic-related quirks in the first few months that I owned it, but not anymore. The car always starts right up whether it has 4 feet of snow covering the hood on a 5 degree morning or sun beaming down on a 95 degree summer afternoon. Living in New Jersey, we get the extremes of all four seasons and this vehicle has performed admirably in each and every one. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market of something like an Audi A4 or BMW 3- series. It may not be for all, but for those who can appreciate the understated Scandinavian design and quirky interior touches, you will be very pleased. Keep in mind that test drives are still free, so try out everything in your price range before you buy it. Performance is great in the car as well. Go easy on the gas pedal and you can easily achieve over 30MPG highway. The nice thing about the small turbo is tons of power when you need it, but a small, efficient engine when you don't. It really is an ideal blend of both. Handling is very good, and not just "for a front-wheel drive car" but simply good in general. I do wish that the 13 speaker sound system had deeper bass and that the front seats more more contoured, but those are my only complaints about the interior. The 9-3 is definitely worth at least a 20 minute test drive, it could surprise you and be the one you end up with.

A Great Car of the Money

by DrMrMom from Libertyville, IL on August 16, 2011

The 9-3 is returning 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway with the 5-speed automanual. It passes other cars quickly on the highway and rides like it is on rails. Excellent handling. The suspension is set for handling not comfort. You can feel hard bumps but it is not jarring. Very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a better used car for the money. Don't let the demise of Saab stop you from buying this car. From 2006 and on it is really an Opel at heart. There will be parts to fix it in the future if needed.

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon - Great car so far

by Radj from Boston, MA on August 28, 2012

I just recently purchased this 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo wagon and it's the most comfortable and smooth car I have ever driven. I think for the money, this is a great choice. Saab may have gone out of business, but their product is top notch. I have not owned it long so I cannot speak to the long term reliability, but so far I am very happy I purchased it. Based on the fact that I saved $3-4k compared to other choices I had, I have no problem spending a bit more on maintenance over the next few years because this is such a nice ride.

Fantastics!

by Saab Forever! from Maryland on February 2, 2013

I put 50,000 miles on my 2.0T since I bought it used in 2010. Great car: fantastic seats, great steering, quiet, the engine performance at low revs is amazing! I've recently tested (for my wife) Volvo's new 250hp S60, some Accura, but performance is nowhere near my Saab. The interior has some cheap plastics, sure, but it's definitely got the fundamentals right: safe, comfortable, performance, reliable, very good on gas. The design has aged gracefully. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat, unfortunately that is not an option anymore...

My favorite so far

by 26 years driving saabs from Valparaiso, In. on February 6, 2009

I've owned Saabs for years and never have had any major issues. I still own a 900T (250,000 miles ) along with my 9-3 Aero. The one problem with the Aero has been a " loose " front end. There is a TSB out on the fix and once done the cars ride is fantastic. The work was also covered under warrenty.There may be some reviews that are less impressed with the 9-3 but take it from a long time saab owner - this car is great.

Great Choice. Very good value for the money.

by Saab 1 from West Bloomfield, MI on March 27, 2012

I am very happy with my choice, this cars are sporty in a very smoorg way, but also up scale, the compare to Volvo but the airplane inspired dashboard wins. If you are looking for European style but can't pay for the 3 top germans. This is a great choice. By the way I picked a 2006 over a 2007 on low milage and condition but I also liked the dasboard better without the standard stereo unit from. GM.

Most reliable and economical car I have ever owned

by Bought it new and still don't regret it from Wilton, CT on April 3, 2016

Bought the car new May 2006 with 6 miles on the odometer. Today, after 9 years and 10 months just passed 141,000. The car was before its time. They had turbos well before they became popular with the mainstream manufacturers these last 5 years. They drive on regular and still can go from 0 to 60 mph in about 8.5 seconds (7.9 seconds if I put premium in). Although some complain about the GM parts bin I actually like it because it introduced reliability to Saabs. Over the last nearly 10 years I replaced the alternator at 70,000 as the battery went dead every three years (fixed the problem) and recently replaced the heat/ac blower motor and power steering pump. Total cost of all three repairs over the life of the car - just under $1000. Otherwise just regular maintenance and taking care of it. The handling for a front wheel drive car is fantastic, and I can keep up with BMWs in the curves. Imagine the owner's shock when a mundane Saab keeps up with them. It is fun to drive. The ride is a little harder than most other sedans because ride takes a backseat to handling, but it does not disturb my family and my kids still fall asleep at night in the back seat. Gas mileage has been great as well. On a recent 500 mile round trip between CT and Boston, MA, I averaged 36 mpg cruising on the highway between 70 and 60 mph. In CT traffic I tend to get as low as 24 mpg and usually average 27-28 mpg. I keep thinking I will need to get a new car but everyone tells me if I keep taking care of it the GM version of this car does last a very long time - at least 200,000. Probably will have to buy a new car in a few years but when I do, I can only hope it is as economical, fun to drive, and reliable as this car has been.

A sweetheart of a deal!

by Saab Story from Libertyville, IL on January 28, 2010

The 2006 Saab 9-3 Super Sport is a wonderful sports sedan. I purchased the 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo model with a 5-speed auto stick manual. The car is very quick and fun to drive. I am getting 23 mpg around time in the dead of winter. The ergonomics are wonderful. The engine idles smoothly with very little body shake. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Love this car and it will love you back

by Nlock from California on June 17, 2017

At first glance, it is apparent that this car is different from many others on the road. While the company has a bad rep due to it's going out of business, SAAB cars are designed to be a joy for the driver. Anyone that I have let drive my car agrees with me that it is fun, sleek, and comfortable. Purchased used and runs like any beamer you can find today, but at a much lower price and a much cooler design.

1 2 3 4 5 6