2001 Subaru Forester consumer reviews

$20,295–$21,095 MSRP range
side view of 2001 Forester Subaru
Explore the 2001 Subaru Forester

Should have kept it

I test drove this car with 142,000 miles on it. It was a dealer sale and they had just changed out the head gaskets and a rear axle bearing. It looked new inside and out and they only wanted $4500 for it. I banged around in it for several years until the mileage was 189,000. My kid needed a car so I gave it to him. It still looked like new inside and out. I informed him that it would need a timing belt at 220,000 miles. Several years later I asked him about the mileage and he told me it was 232,000 miles. I told him to take it to the dealer and I would pay to have the timing belt changed. Several years passed and he didn't do it. One day he called me and told me the car had stopped running. The first thing I asked him was how many miles are on it. His response was 259,000 miles. He got a mechanic to look at it and sure enough the timing belt broke. The mechanic gave him $500 for it and he was without a car for awhile. These cars are very reliable although the head gaskets leaking were a problem in certain model years.

4.4

Great Car, Great Experience!

I bought this car having known that it was previously used by one owner who had owned it for 12 years, so I was expecting something with high mileage. To my pleasant surprise, it only had 60K miles on it and still runs great! Could be brand new, you'd never know unless someone told you it was used. Great experience with the dealership in making this vehicle mine. Was worth the trip out of town and well worth my money. I would recommend shopping around for the perfect Subaru because it is worth it 100%!

Great car for the $

Great car for the money! Bought as my daughter's 1st car, due to the all wheel drive feature. So far it's been great on the snowy roads in northern CT.

I love mine!

I love my subaru forester! It's great off road and in snow and just on the pavement! It has a six disc cd player and heated seats and mirrors. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

3.7

Great car for young drivers!

Subarus combine AWD with all of today's modern safety features like air bags, ABS and excellent crash testing to make this the safest used car for the money by far! Forester, in particular, adds the benefit of being classified an SUV (cute ute) and that gives it a low insurance risk rating. That's very important if you're insuring a young driver!

3.3

Pitfalls

Hello, Be warned that the 2.5 liter Subaru 4 cyl. engine was derived from the solid 2.2 liter engine. There are points where the gaskets don't have thick enough purchase due to the removal of metal necessitated by increasing the engine's displacement. The engine leaked coolant. That's inexcusable. The panderous car market always wants more. The drive train remains quite sound otherwise. The interior is comfortable and the car rides well. Check for leaks before you buy.

My Forester is a True, Reliable Friend

I bought my '01 Forester in 2005, and it had 59,000 miles on it. Six years later, it's approaching 172,000 miles and has given me and my family outstanding service. I'm the type of driver who tends to run cars through the wringer, and this one runs as strong as it did when I bought it. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and hasn't lost any fuel mileage. The only breakdown I ever experienced was due to the clutch failing, and the clutch that had failed was an aftermarket clutch I'd had installed two years prior, after the original clutch had gone for about 130,000 miles. During college, I commuted 40 minutes one-way over winding mountain roads for 2 years. Afterward, I commuted over an hour to work each day for seven months. NOT ONCE did this car let up on me during all of that. I've taken it on countless trips out of town for concerts, camping trips, and sporting events, and it NEVER fails to get the job done. Over the years, my "Silver Tank," as I call it, has become considered a longtime, trusted, valued friend to me.

most reliable car ive owned

its great for handling off road terrain, reliable as ever. low maintenance & great on gas. whats not 2 love?

Subaru

I own a 2001 subaru forester awd and love it its gotta 167,000 miles and is still in perfect condition.

I love This car.

this car is another world of Driving and Stability. This car is driving safely. What U Want, car realise it in the life. Interior is optimal for driver and passanger. When U Buy it U need first understanding what U want, If U need "Active Driver Car", unbeliveble stabilized, safe and real 4 moution, U find it in this car. U do not like Car extra service ? this car is for U. U Need real ! Universal ! car, for all situation in your life, This car is for U. U do not like Big monster Car? Ok That`s it. For Quicker or slower driving, Snow and Whinter driving, Street or Dirt Driving.... ALL - In - One Car is Subaru Forester, ... try drive it and U trust me. Real allways FULL Moution small Sport Utiliti Vehicle. I can wrote more, but best if stop here, because i love this car.....