2002 Outback

2002 Subaru Outback

2002 Subaru Outback

Have you driven the 2002 Subaru Outback?

I loved this car

by Elle from Denver, CO on August 29, 2012

I was recently in a very bad accident i was hit in the side by an suv going 50 the car was totaled but the thing saved my life! The doctors said it would've been much worse if i hadn't been in such an amazing car! This car took the impact like a champ i mean this thing is a tank, this car took some serious impact. its so safe and it looks amazing so much room in the front seat and i loved this car i will be getting another one with the money i receive from my insurance! this car is amazing!

Long lasting

by subiemike from desert hot springs,calif on October 25, 2011

Subarus are the most relaible cars i've owned. I have 2 outbacks, one with 206k and one with 148k, and the resale value is still high on both.

Subaru outback

by jg from Southern Indiana on June 1, 2011

Great car .Good handling great fuel economy.Superior product.Very fun to drive.Very comfortable.I would definitively recommend.

Outback H6:3.0 (LL Bean)

by Stein13 from Hermosa Beach on February 1, 2012

This is my second Soob. Had an '87 back in the day. Love the utility of this wagon. Just moved and it was a workhorse. The H6 is highly recommended. More guts and very smooth on road trips. My only gripe is gas mileage - which around town is surprisingly low.

It has Made Me Love Subarus

by Alex from Boulder, CO on September 5, 2013

I bought this car about a year ago from a private seller, and I am absolutely in love with it. Its a small car, so its not to good for tall people but since I'm short its a rather comfortable ride. The interior has a classic style to it, but rich in grey shades that give its a very stylish look. Its decently fast but can haul up a mountain like a beast! I use this thing to go hiking and camping all the time. (lives in Boulder Colorado.) Its safe, a good ride and has a beauty engine purr to it. (that sound me me love Subarus) Highly recommend, Mines going strong at 145,000K. Just need to re-charge the A.C.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Sturdy, reliable, a few issues

by Celtic Gardener from Atlanta, GA on December 2, 2013

Have owned my 2002 Impreza Outback Sport from new (12 years). Very reliable, solid ride, maybe a bit lacking in the looks department. Surprising amount of road noise for highway driving. Has required some more expensive maintenance over the last few years, despite only doing 90,000 miles (engine seals replaced, couple of AC overhauls, new catalytic converter). However, mainly in-city driving in the humid south, not its prime market! AWD makes it fabulous in rain or on mud (it also got used for trucking stuff around in my gardening business for a while). Came out well from a minor shunt. Regular trunk space a bit limited, but can get huge amounts in with back seats folded down. My gripes would be that the A/C has never been quick or particularly cold, fuel economy isn't great (about 21-2 mpg in the city, 25 highway), rust spots starting to appear on roof. Gray interior trim shows every mark, rear passenger space a bit tight. Despite this, great little car, and resale value still looks good.

Great car in the snow

by THeffle from Boston, MA on August 5, 2017

Living in boston with AWD is almost a necessity, my '02 Outback was fantastic in the snow, If I hadn't already hit 200k on it and the head gasket wasn't going I would still have it.

This car was an outstanding choice for me.

by Sam from Colorado Springs, CO on March 30, 2017

This car isn't for everyone, but was a fantastic choice for me. The winter weather performance is amazing. I have the H6 Sedan and I live the smooth, quiet power. It is best above 4000rpm! I can easily take 4 adults in decent comfort and excellent safety. Upkeep cost is extremely low for me with normal expenses like tires, oil, spark plugs, bulbs, belts, and filters. I am able to take care of almost everything myself. I had the driver's seat foam replaced by an upholstery shop at 180k miles and I made a big difference. Highway driving comes with a little bit of wind noise, like all Subarus, but when off-road or in winter driving conditions, this thing is excellent. The visibility is my favorite feature from the interior and the exterior my favorite feature is the contrast of paint color from top to bottom panels.

I loved my Subaru -2002

by Wilderness lover from Burlington, Maine on March 26, 2018

Reliable, sturdy and a car with plenty of space. My 2002 Outback took me on long distance rides without a hitch. Climbed very rough terraine like a truck and started up after a week of sitting in -20 degree weather. Seats are a bit unforgiving on a long drive (8 plus hours), but handles like a small car. Tight turning radius makes life easier than the typical SUV or wagon. Repairs are expensive when they happen as well as basic maintenance scheduled. My car went on to be my daughter’s car and went well over 300,000 miles. I loved my Subaru!

This car will run forever like all Subarus

by fairhurst from Toms River, NewJersey on July 6, 2017

Great in all weather. Very reliable and very comfortable. As safe as can be foe the year. Boxer engine just like a german example. Al wheel drive just like an Audi

1 2

Our Take on the 2002 Subaru Outback

Some circles should be broken. The Subaru H6-3.0 Outback sedan is proof.

It is the unfortunate progeny of a trend in which cars became pickup trucks in the manner of the 1959 Chevrolet El Camino -- then pickup trucks became sport-utility vehicles, SUVs became hybrid wagon/truck/minivans and hybrid wagon/truck/minivans became sedans.

In the case of the H6-3.0 Outback sedan, both the tested 2002 and the slightly changed 2003 version, the result is an ugly car that rides like a truck.

I can put it no other way.

The car is ugly, square, confused, stylistically injured. Its face says SUV. Its side panels, including its egregious lower-body cladding, say pickup truck. Its boxy rear... Read More