2006 Outback

4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Another good car from Subaru

by Michael from Boulder, CO on November 2, 2010

I sold a 2001 Subaru Outback with 139K miles and bought an '06 with 39K. Major comfort difference, with more seat adjustment and leather seats. It seems to have more pep, even though it has the basic 2.5 engine, and yet I get three mpg better overall. With four studded snows, there isn't a more appropriate vehicle for a skier living in Colorado, as I am.

Not Your Father's Station Wagon

by Joe San Diego from San Diego, Ca on April 23, 2010

I bought the 2006 Subaru Outback X/T Limited wagon to satisfy my midlife crisis. It was only the second new car I ever bought in my life, and might be my last. It has the 2.5 L turbo charged engine and I bought it with the 5 Speed manual transmission, and it is the best performing car I have owned. (I also owned a 1969 Dodge Charger SE/RT with a 440 and a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am with a 455, so I'm not comparing this car to Geos.) It also gets much better gas mileage than either of those two. The combination of Torque (about 250 Ft-lbs) and all wheel drive make it a pleasure to drive. What's more it comfortable, roomy and reliable. I haven't had any maintenance/repair problems in 4 years and 74,000 miles, and have owned other Subarus that I have put over 200,000 plus miles on, so I don't expect any. The only bad thing I can say about the car is that it goes through tires, and since it is AWD, you have to buy all four tires at a time. That can get pricy when you are buying Michelins.

Great cr

by CToutback7 from Manchester, CT on February 13, 2012

I was looking for Subaru outback and, I found a 2006 Subaru Outback with only 19,443 miles through Cars.Com. The car is perfect for our life style, can carry the kayaks, the mountain bikes and is great for the fire roads throughout New England. The car is comfortable on long drives, has ample power and is incredible in the snow, (with the right tires). The Outback holds more luggage than the full size SUV we had. This is our 6th Outback and there isn't anything I can think of that I don't like about the car. Thanks Cars.Com!

My 2nd Outback Sport and I love it even more!

by Mountain road creeper from Portland, OR on February 5, 2007

I had a '99 Impreza Outback Sport (OBS) prior to this car but as that car aged past 145k miles, I decided it was time for a new car. After looking & driving numerous cars (RSX-S, Civic Si, GTi, WRX) I bought a brand new Special Edition 5-speed manual OBS. My loyalty to the OBS ultimately led to me buy this car over cars which were faster, flashier, and more expensive. The car accelerates well but is not going to win you many drag races. The engine revs freely and responds amazingly well to a day of driving at 8/10s+ in the mountains. The car handles very well, especially for having the 'higher than many other cars it has out-cornered' look. It also has great potential as an enthusiast's choice as the amount of modifications continues to grow. All suspension, body, interior, brakes, & wheels are interchangeable w WRX/STi parts, and the amount of engine upgrades continues to grow as the popularity of the EJ25 grows. The wagon provides extreme utility and generous cargo space. I have put 14k miles on the car in 7 months and am loving every moment of it! Fuel economy averages to 23.1mpg even w/ countless blasts thru the mountains and a commute full of the hills of PDX. The interior has held up well and the exterior is growing on me. The car has received high-perf M+S tires & 17" Prodrive wheels along w/ an adjustable rear sway bar and it handles great. Body roll still hinders response & low-end power is still a little lacking for low-speed switchbacks but never-the-less the car is a blast to drive everywhere - the twisties, the mountains, the coast, the highway, the city, the suburbs - and I would (and have) recommend it to anyone. The only reason this car does not receive all 5-stars from me is: Comfort - The seats are too wide for my 160lb 6'3" frame and a little harsh. Exterior Styling - The front end of the car still creates mixed messages in my head. Pros of the new frontend: Projector headlamps, better fog lamps, more sporty front bumper. Con is the new grille. The car has been very reliable as, in my 14k miles with it, I have not paid a single penny towards unplanned maintenance. I have driven this car as a car is meant to be driven. I have taken it full throttle all the way to 4th gear redline & I have cornered till the tires squeal. I keep it clean but also get her dirty in some mud & snow when she wants it. A 1-of-a-kind all-arounder.

Great Vehicle

by JM94 from Germantown,MD on September 3, 2006

I've owned many vehicles, Exploreres, Grand Cherokees, Saabs and Hondas. I never thought that I could like this kind of car, I was wrong. I have the 2.5I auto w/Navigation. The ride is much smoother than I expected. I haven't had the chance to drive it in the snow yet, but I have in heavy rain, and Subaru's awd system did not dissapoint. After 1000 miles, I'm averaging 26 mpg in mixed driving. You won't win any drag races in it, but power is adequate for everyday city and highway use. It has a unique feel, part SUV, part Tank, part luxury car. The navigation system is cool, the male voice has a slight Australian accent. Before you drive a 4 Runner, check this out.

The SUV for people who think

by Dog owner from Colorado Springs, CO on August 16, 2006

I wanted to get a car that had the AWD feature like my Cherokee and my Escape, but didn't need something that looks like a truck, rides like a truck, and eats gas like a truck. The Outback fills my needs well. I live in Colorado and we often have snow conditions, and we frequently go up in the mountains. My Outback has the traction and ground clearance that most people are looking for in a SUV. (On the rare occasion that I want to drive through really rugged, off-road areas, I'll make my kids let me borrow their Cherokee or Escape) Why pay for all that gas and put up with the noise for an SUV if the Outback serves the same purpose? As a professional person, the Outback has plenty of class, comfort and features. I can take it out with a client and not be embarrassed. It has a quality feel throughout. I got the LL Bean package with all the goodies. I can honestly say that I like this car better than my last vehicle (Which was, by the way, a Lexus). It has been as reliable as any Toyota or Lexus I've owned. I'm a dog owner, and the optional dog guard and heavy-duty rubber mats make this a perfect dog car. I can haul the dogs around on the weekend and put a client in the car the next day with no mess to deal with. I've been quite satisfied with the car so far. It has 13,000 miles on it with no returns to the dealership except for oil changes. I get an average of 22.5 mpg with the V-6. If a good sound system matters to you, get the optional subwoofer. I'm a sun lover and the Outback sunroof is the largest I've seen and it works perfectly, too, with an unbelievable quietness while wide open even at highway speeds.

Unbelievable winter machine

by Sweeps from Ontario, Canada on October 10, 2012

My wife and I bought her 2006 Outback 2 years ago to replace a Toyota Yaris (Which was great, just too small). I cannot believe how good this car is in the winter (I always use 4 snow tires). It is simply unstoppable. I've driven lots of vehicles, and this car is the best vehicle I've ever used in the snow. We bought it with 127,000km, and now has 159,000km. No issues so far. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that it needs a 5th gear on the highway (Although it's still really quiet). I don't know why anyone would buy an SUV over one of these. It has the same cargo capacity (even more than some SUV's) handles better on the road, and is better in the snow. It's a great all around vehicle.

by TomN from West Milford, NJ on October 16, 2013

I purchased a used 2006 Subaru Outback several weeks ago, after looking at older models and deciding to buy something with some hope of minimal repairs. This purchase has met all my expectations, and then some. It is extremely comfortable and looks new. I wish it had the gas mileage of my old Toyota Corolla, but since it's so much heavier and larger, 28 mpg is very reasonable. It's very well made.

drives awesome

by kim from on August 12, 2009

Love it and now I am sold on Subaru. My next car will also be a Subaru. I drive to the mountains to go and snowboard. This car is awesome compared to my previous midsixe SUV

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

great price

by family car from Md on February 13, 2012

Love this car! Will buy another one in 10 months! My husband likes this car. So I will give him this one and buy another later in the year. Hope to buy from the same dealer.they were Great!

1 2 3 4