2016 Outback

2016 Subaru Outback

2016 Subaru Outback

Have You Driven the 2016 Subaru Outback?

My 2016 Subaru Outback is my favorite car ever

by tj from Dublin, OH on Wed Aug 03 2016

I was dreading purchasing a car and haggling with salesman. Yet, going to Byers Subaru was a no hassle experience. I can't tell you how much I LOVE my Subaru Outback. This is the best car I've ever owned. Great gas mileage, super design, and features I love. It's easy to navigate, and I even have plenty of room for my Great Dane. I love the visibility, the roof rails, the navigation and no hands phone capabilities, and cargo space. With my hitch, I easily put on my bike rack and my bike and go. I researched many cars, and this one definitely fit the bill for everything I needed, dependability, economy, and best resale/safety features. I love driving it and feel very safe in it.

New Outback 3.6 R Limited

by Jedediah from Silver Spring, MD on Tue Aug 25 2015

I've owned a great many cars in my lifetime--my new Outback 3.6 R Limited being my 40th, but others have included numerous Mercedes, Jaguars, Fords, Lincolns, VWs, Cadillacs, Chryslers, Nissans, Alfa Romeos and yes, a few other Subarus. I've always found Subaru to be a reassuring ride--solid, dependable, and able to go anywhere under even the worst of weather conditions. They're cars you can trust. But unless you've been driving one of their WRXs or WRX Stis, excitement was probably not a word that came to mind when tooling around picking up groceries, mulch, and ferrying dogs about on joy rides. Even my 2011 Outback 3.6 R. Limited, which has been my "go to" car in monsoons and blizzards, was comfortable, reliable, roomy, and quick enough, but exciting? Meh. The new 2016 Outback, however, is a breed apart. It's new CVT transmission is smooth and, not having any gears, doesn't "hunt" for the right one when accelerating or decelerating. The suspension and frame are much tauter than the 2011, and an improved stability control system has changed the Outback's cornering from a top-heavy wallow into a reasonably able and predictable handler. The 3.6 liter 254 horse engine is the same as in the 2011, though slightly slower than its predecessor, owing to more weight and the coupling with the CVT transmission---but still good for a 7-second 0-60, and a top end of 139 mph. Technology is where the 2016 really shines. The Eyesight system with adaptive cruise control and emergency braking is startlingly effective. Set your speed and distance from the car in front of you on a highway and the Outback maintains it. If the car in front comes to a complete halt, the Outback stops safely behind it. If someone pulls in front, it readjusts to maintain distance from them. Employ the lane monitor, and the car will gently adjust steering to remain between striped lines as well. Have Pandora on your phone? It's on your Nav screen, with all controls to like, dislike, skip songs, etc. No more fumbling to train your playlist. Front and rear seats are heated and all recline. There is also slightly more luggage space and rear seat leg room. The front bucket seats also have a longer cushion to support legs for tall folks. Even the gas mileage has edged up a tad, thanks to the CVT. As I said before, I've owned a lot of cars, and many of them I quite loved, but the new Outback is head and shoulders above most of them, and dare I say it--even bordering on exciting to drive.

Best car I have ever owned !

by perdo from Port Charlotte Florida on Thu May 19 2016

Supplies all my needs. I live in Florida but I have to drive to Boston as I have four Children there. This car is safe in winter and summer. This gives me great peace of mind. I am very comfortable when my wife uses this car. The four wheel drive clings to the road during very heavy rain and gravel surfaces. I have owned many, many cars but this outback is the best yet. It is my second outback !

2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R

by Mountsinai from Fox Cities Wisconsin on Thu Jan 07 2016

We have logged just under 1000 miles on our new 3.6R Limited model. 1 1/2 weeks after taking delivery we took a leisurely jaunt to the twin cities just under 5 hours away. The leather seats were very comfortable and supportive. The ride was noticeably smooth and the vehicle felt very well connected to the pavement even at higher highway speeds. To my delight there was snow on which to test the vehicle's winter prowess when we arrived at our destination; I was not disappointed! We had owned a 2008 Outback previously and there is nothing similar between the two vehicles concerning performance, ride comfort, tech, etc. I was especially glad to be able to have a normal conversation w/ my wife as the exterior noise intrusion is well damped. I have found the blind-spot monitoring to be very useful and back up camera a delight. I now back up into the driveway 9/10 arrivals. I will agree with other owners about the door locks and hard-to-spot clock placement. Also, the infotainment display could be raised a bit as I have to avert my eyes from the road in order to see the data full on. I am still working on mastering the voice commands. If you live in the northern states or in an elevated, snowy climate and typically do have more than 2 passengers, there may not be a more suitable vehicle. And yes, our dog loves the new subie too :) Ultimately, I am glad that we opted for the 6 cyl. The few MPGs sacrificed are worth the extra power esp if towing or carrying hundreds of pounds of cargo. I am a little nervous about our next Costco trip w/ all the available cargo space.

Roomy Interior

by 1st time Subaru owner from Goshen, IN on Thu Jan 28 2016

After thoroughly researching the Outback, I am not disappointed. At 6', 270lbs, I'm not a small man, and even with the driver's seat positioned for me, can fit comfortably in the rear seat; so I know my passengers have plenty of room also. Too, I can move the seat to it's highest position and still have head clearance. Styling and handling are great, with intuitive controls throughout. Don't be afraid of the 4 cylinder. Only wish I had bought one sooner.

2016 Outbac

by crazy from Virginia on Mon Mar 21 2016

great car, love all the safety features, only missing auto wipers. The car is very pepie for a four cylinder

Subaru Outback - One Year Later

by 67Stangman from Peabody, MA on Wed Jan 25 2017

Things I liked’ 1. 6 cylinder power 2. Crash Avoidance System 3. Blind Spot Detector 4. Back up Camera 5. Easy entry & exit from front seats 6. Power Driver Seat with 2 memory settings 7. Available space when back seats are down Things I didn’t like.. 1. Hard transition from our earlier cars to rough ride of Outback 2. Significantly reduced headroom with Moon Roof (required in Crash Avoidance & BSD system option) 3. Passenger side lacks height adjustment feature 4. Unable to clear rain from driver and passenger side windows (does not clear when lowered and raised) 5. Lack of critical thinking by Subaru mechanics when attempting to resolve Blind Spot Detector malfunctions 6. Inconvenient location of USB, Audio, and electrical ports 7. Inconvenient location of option switches (BSD, Rear Gate, etc) 8. No automatic door lock feature 9. Many switches are not lit for night driving 10. Lack of hidden storage space (beneath spare tire & rear side panels)

They've come a long way since 1973

by 2ByoungAgain from Pac NW on Sat Mar 12 2016

An older brother had a 73 GL, I had my first in 78, a DL 2dr (only FWD) but they were still fabulous in the Snow of the Midwest. 38 years have gone by, and I've owned many other vehicles in-between, and now I have my 2nd Subaru; a 2016 Outback 2.5 LTD. It is a pleasure to get in and go, wherever the road takes me. The top notch Harmon Kardon sound system makes me want to keep driving, just because. With the mulit-adjustable driver seat, it is the easiest and most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned for ease of entry and exit and long distance journeys. All my passengers have loved it as well; they just wish the passenger seat had height adjustability. With the factory equipped M&S tires it had no issues going up to Timberline @ Mt Hood with snow covered roads and parking in a foot deep or more snow. I can only imagine how sure-footed it will be with a good set of Snow Tires on it; probably like a wolf or snow-lynx :) I would prefer a 6 speed manual, but the CVT seems to work quite nicely and have no complaints about the ability of the 2.5 to go anywhere I need or want it to with ease. What I miss, auto locking doors when put into gear and auto unlock when I pull on the door handle. Engine noise upon hard acceleration is the only drawback to the engine, otherwise it is a smooth quiet ride when cruising along and under everyday acceleration needs. Wish they would offer some colors a bit more lively; like the Limited edition yellow from the Crosstrek last year and red for the Crosstrek in 2016 coming soon. Don't care for the Hyper-Blue myself.

Comfy and quiet

by picky owner from Florida on Wed Nov 11 2015

This is the quietest, most comfortable car I have owned, and I've owned many. And, with iSight (an optional feature) this car almost drives itself! The safety features are phenomenal; even has an air bag under the front seats to prevent torpedoing in a collision. The electronics are many and do take some getting used to, but after a few weeks of practice I am now comfortable with them. I'm sure there are lots of features I'm not using to capacity, but I'll get there. The car handles great. So far I absolutely love it!

fun driving

by hands on driver from portland, or on Sat Dec 19 2015

Been driving Subaru for many years. Bought a new one because of all the new safety features, like blind spot indicator in the side mirror. Great driving car which grips the road in rain and snow which is why this car is so popular in the NW USA. I throw my kayak on the roof rack and away I go.