2013 XV Crosstrek

$27 - $31,483  MSRP Range

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek?

Love this ride

by Ex-Wrangler Owner from Eureka Springs, AR on Fri Mar 08 2013

I recently purchased a Crosstrek Limited. I was making a change from a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited because gas mileage was just terrible. I was looking for a capable vehicle with all wheel drive, good gas mileage and able to handle my outdoor activities (Kayaking, camping, mountain biking, etc). I have found all of those in the crosstrek and more. I find myself wanting to drive it, just to drive it. The vehicle may not have the most powerful engine, but it serves it just fine. I'm not racing my vehicle to get from place to place, so the engine performance suits me just fine. Gas mileage was more important since I drive 100 miles for work each day. The seating is comfortable and the ride is much, much better than the Wrangler, but that is to be expected. I plan to keep this vehicle because it matches exactly what I was looking for. Great fuel economy, all wheel drive, good ground clearance, off road agility, comfortable seating, outdoor activity and dog friendly.

Great little car

by Who Subie Lover from Cheyenne, Wy on Fri Aug 02 2013

This is our second Subaru. We bought a 2013 forester and like it so much we were hooked to the Subaru brand. We've now had our 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited in desert khaki for about three weeks and we love it. It is my wife's first new car of her own and she couldn't be happier. We live in Wyoming and with our winters awd can't be beat! The cvt in this car is great, it's very smooth and keeps you within the power band so there is always plenty of pep. I'm not sure why people dislike the cvt, I have nothing but praise for it so far. It's definitely better than subaru's old 4 speed auto. Thus far we have close to 900 miles and have averaged 28-29 mpg with mixed driving which is not bad. It gets fantastic mileage on the interstate on flats but any uphill driving tanks the average. It's not a race car but I don't feel like its terribly underpowered either, it's got plenty of low end torque and the boxer can run at interstate speeds with no problems. I'm not sure what people expect from cars these days, they seem to think anything less than 300 hp is inadequate, which is insane! This car has a small engine but heck it's got more hp than the original mustang v6! So if you see the reviews about being underpowered, all I can say is go drive one for yourself and go from there. I have very few complaints with the car, some of which are; no power seat option, no lumbar support, weak sound system, and no standard moonroof on the limited model. Other than those small gripes I really enjoy this little Subie. You really could not ask for a more versatile vehicle. On a side note, if you find one you like and you know you want it, buy it, don't hold off for color/options especially if you're in the Rocky Mountain region, these things are flying off the lots and if you're picky you may be waiting a while! When we bought ours the dealer had 6 on the lot, (ours was the only limited model) within a week they had sold all of them and are still waiting for more to come in, they can't keep them in stock! One recommendation though, if you're someone that does not need the ground clearance of the crosstrek but still want awd and the rugged styling, go for the impreza sport, it's basically the same car just lower, you'll still do great on slick roads and you'll get a few more miles per gallon to boot! We were set on the impreza sport until my wife drove the XV, she is coming from a 98 4runner so she just felt better with the added height. You can't go wrong with a Subaru :)

Great Value

by Subaru Convert from San Diego, ca on Fri Feb 15 2013

I got this car about 3 weeks ago and I am loving it. I purchased the XV Limited without the navigation package. It is very fun to drive especially on curvy roads and is extremely functional for my active lifestyle and very functional for my dog. The interior is comfortable and spacious. I have noticed that it lacks a little bit of power when getting on to the highway but once it reaches cruising speed it rides comfortably and gets great gas mileage. I am averaging about 30 mpg with mixed driving. As per the previous reviewers comments about the windshield...I wear glasses and have not noticed any problems with distortion whatsoever. I actually really like the windshield because it is expansive and very easy to see all around. I am very happy with my new car and will have many fun driving years with it to come. I think Subaru might have converted me for good!

Love Subaru but not loving the Crosstrek

by Professor from Chicago, IL on Wed Sep 25 2013

Sitting here reading everyone else's reviews I feel like we have a different car. Although I am a BMW-to-Subaru convert on the Outback, I can't seem to love the Crosstrek. The power and nimbleness of the car are fine, exactly what I would expect from Subaru at a great price. We get amazing gas mileage too. The problems relate more to the quality of the car. Ours has been into the dealer twice in one year for major engine and drive train problems (we were told that they knew about these problems and they are common but not recalled). Even worse for me, the Crosstrek squeaks like an old bed when you are driving around. We took it into the dealer who told us they couldn't hear what we were talking about, and that their service guy couldn't "recreate the noise" we were complaining about. The car is also extremely loud inside from road noise. Put the noise and squeaks together and you have a fairly miserable experience. I refused to take it on a road trip with my husband because of those issues. I am seriously disappointed in the overall quality of the vehicle and am considering trading it in on something that seems less flimsy.

Does not recommend this car!!

My First Subaru

by Outdoors Guy from Dayton, OH on Mon Apr 08 2013

My initial observations give me hope that this is going to be a great car. Plenty of space for big guys going to a ball-game or filling it with pre-teen girls going the movies. Storage is everywhere and hookups for cell, iPod and anything else powered by cigarette lighter outputs. The car rides smooth and, other than full pedal mashing, is pretty quite for a four cylinder. Best of all, after 1200 miles in a month of mostly city driving, my average gas mileage is 28.8 MPG! Pretty dog-gone good for an all-wheel-drive car.

Great gas mileage in town and on interstate

by cross country traveller from Santa Fe, NM on Tue Apr 16 2013

Am getting over 30 mph around town(over 2,500 mile history) and recently got well over 34 mpg on I-40 over 400 mile distance at mostly 75 miles per hour speed at fairly high altitudes in AZ and NM with 3 people in car and with over 100 pounds of luggage. Actually the highway mileage at high speeds is the most impressive aspect of the car and the reason I purchased it. I traded a Subaru Outback that got only about 29 mpg on the highway, but caused me no problems over a 123,000 history. Hopefully, this car will do as well. There are a few trim and feature issues that I wish they had carried over from the Outback, but overall I am happy.

Great little car for big adventures

by Outdoorsy from Costa Mesa, CA on Mon Sep 02 2013

The Crosstrek is a great little car. It has the clearance of an Outback with the size of an Imprezza. That was exactly what I was looking for. My previous car was an Outback and even though it was a terrific car, it was getting a bit long in the tooth and I wanted something similar with better gas mileage. In comes the Crosstrek. With the smaller frame and CVT transmission it's giving me the mileage I want. As with all non-turbo Subarus it has torque but not a lot of horsepower, so if you're looking for something with a performance edge this isn't it (Besides, the higher clearance makes it not the most planted vehicle in turns. It's not a sportscar...) Benefits: All wheel drive, high clearance, MPG Deficits: Not fast. A touch noisy when you're really on the gas

Awesome Car

by Debbie from Chicago on Fri Oct 03 2014

Love this car. Fabulous in snow and rain, outstanding performance while pulling a trailer on the highway. I drive from Northern Illinois to Middle TN once a month pulling a 4'x8' trailer and average 30 mpg. Could improve a bit on the seats and the suspension but overall I am thrilled with this car. This is my third Subaru and I will own a fourth!

by Adirondacker from adirondack foothills on Wed Feb 20 2013

Just bought this Crosstrek, what a great car. I'll always buy Subaru from now on. I cant say anything bad about it. Going to get my wife a new one soon.I'll tell you about the gas mileage, if you drive easy, not too heavy on the gas, it will get an average mileage in winter, cold , 27-29. In the summer, warmer months about 29-32. I got exactly 28 in winter and on an open road trip, with hills etc in February I got 31.5, that's great for an all-wheel drive vehicle. If you commute on freeway etc 70mph most likely numbers will be less.. still a great vehicle..

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Can't beat the value.

by Dacci in KY from Cynthiana, KY on Mon Jul 08 2013

I bought my Crosstrek (Red Venetian Pearl) Base Model 3 weeks ago from Quantrell Subaru in Lexington, KY. So far I am in love with the vehicle. The styling is great. The interior is a little spartan, but that really doesn't matter to me. A car is an appliance to me. Bluetooth works wonderfully with my Windows Phone. The CVT takes a little getting used to at first. My first tank I only averaged 26.5 mpg. Granted it was 60% hwy, 40% city. I also was using the AC all the time. I now average 28.5 mpg after getting used to the transmission. That is astounding for any AWD vehicle. I cant wait for winter to get here so I can test this bad boy out on the icy Kentucky roads. My biggest thing to tell you is not to buy this if you are looking for sporty performance. This is not a WRX. It is a utility vehicle built for handling icy roads, and getting good fuel economy. If you want performance, go for a Mazda CX5. If you want a balance of utility and fuel economy, this is what you want.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Its awkward name notwithstanding, the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek successfully incorporates the key aspects of the brand's Outback line into a smaller, more fuel-efficient package.

The XV Crosstrek starts at $22,790, including a $795 destination charge. Our test model was an uplevel Limited version with an optional $2,000 Navigation and Moonroof Package that upped our as-tested price to $27,290.

If the XV Crosstrek looks familiar, it should: It's based on Subaru's recently redesigned Impreza hatchback. Its taller ride height, however, puts it in competition with small crossovers, including Subaru's own Forester. To see the XV Crosstrek's specs compared with the Forester, Honda... Read More