2014 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2014 Toyota Camry
4.3
Average based on 75 reviews

A quality and value benchmark

by from Sardinia, Ohio on May 2, 2014

The mid-size sedan market is a competitive one and I did my homework before purchasing my 2014 Toyota Camry. Short-list finalists included the Chevy Impala,the Honda Accord and the Mazda 6. I checked out fully-loaded versions of the Honda and the Chevy. After a lot of thinking, I settled on the 4 cylinder, automatic transmission SE model. I owned a Honda minivan and I was seeking a more fuel-efficient vehicle for my wife, as she is not continuously acting as a 'bus driver' for our three kids. The oldest is driving now and often doesn't accompany us (typical teen). Admittedly, the Camry is a bit of a dated design, especially when compared to the newest offerings from Honda and Chevy. If costs, to include fuel, were no object, I would be hard-pressed to deny the appeal of the Impala. Same goes for the V-6 Accord. Both are fine designs. What really sold me on the Camry was the testimonies of others that had owned them. There are many of these on the road today, some of which have been kept in service for well in excess of 200,000 miles. While Honda has a reputation for reliability, it has been my experience as of late that this may not mean as much as it once did. The fact that the Accord has gone to a continuously variable transmission did not leave me feeling comforatble with taking a chance on a somewhat new design, either. Toyota's four cylinder engine is a tried and true design which requires very little scheduled maintenance beyond regular oil and filter changes. There is no timing belt to worry about. Having said this, any amateur gear head can appreciate the fact that the engine compartment is logically arranged and everything is accessible...a rare find today. The transmission is a smooth-shifting, six speed marvel. It seems to be able to strike a balance between performance, comfort and economy. Four cylinder cars today are not what they once were. This car has good acceleration and it actually performs as well as some earlier vehicles I have owned which had V-6 powerplants. At highway speeds, the vehicle is quiet and even at elevated cruising speeds, the engine does not labor. Fuel efficiency is another important consideration. The manufacturer claims this vehicle will achieve 35 miles per gallon on the highway, on regular grade gasoline. I've just started to see 31 mpg, but the car is still well within what I'd consider to be a break-in period. Others that have bought this car claim to see 35 mpg, so I'm looking foward to the possibility. The interior of the car I purchased is tasteful. I wouldn't suggest the SE model I purchased is on par with the higher-end models of the the Accord, or the Impala (which had a phenomenal interior), but I'm happy. The seats are an improvement over older models I test drove. We've been on a six hour trip in the vehicle and I experienced no discomfort whatsoever. Nice interior features include a rear backup camera, blue tooth pairing for my cell phone (to include voice reads of text messages and e-mails) and the usual tilt, cruise, power locks, windows, etc. The interior is spacious, as is the trunk. The trunk has a lower liftover height than the Accord. The rear seats fold independently which is handy and something that I don't think can be done in the Accord. The Camry's exterior styling is not much different than previous models, but with a little bit of ground effects, alloy wheels and driving lights, all of which came standard with my model, the vehicle still looks good and receives compliments. I opted for a relatively rare Barcelona Red color, which looks really good, especially when the car is freshly washed. To sum things up, I realize that there is a certain amount of appeal in having the latest, greatest, newest or flashiest anything, but, for me, there is a lot to be said for going with something that is tried and true. I personally seek economy, not just in terms of fuel efficiency, but in total ownership costs. Thus, the Toyota Camry has been a good fit for me and I'm certain many others will agree.

Really fast couch

by from PA on April 27, 2016

I've been driving since I was 14, and owned a car since I was 16. I've owned 15 cars, 13 of which have had manual transmissions. When I turned 50, I bought an automatic, and after 3 months it bored me so I gave it to my kid and bought another manual. Now I'm 55, and decided I was ready to try an automatic again. I wanted something really fast, with very good milage and reliability, but was like...a couch. I cross shopped an Accord V-6, Mazda 6, and the Camry V-6. The Honda is nice, but I didn't care for the ergonomics, and the Camry has been beating it lately in reliability. The Mazda has great handling dynamics, but the 4 cylinder engine doesn't touch the V-6 engines of either the Accord or the Camry. So I got a Camry, 2014 (and a half). It's the SE (Sports model) with nav, back up camera, JBL stereo, leather, heated seats, etc. The SE model handles better than regular Camrys. You aren't going to win a race in the twisties against a Miatta (I've owned one of those, too), but it isn't bad. On the highway, it's a blast. I can be cruising along at 70, floor it, and it goes MUCH faster. Granted, it isn't going to beat a late model Mustang or Camaro, but it has more power than 85% of the cars on the road. As it's a Camry, you could drive through a parade and no one will be able to identify it. The styling is pretty bland, which is ok in terms of cops, but I'm quit pleased with the internal space. Nice, comfortable seats (I wanted a couch and got one), plenty of room, and everything is where I want it to be. It has one of the best electronic interfaces I've encountered in a modern vehicle. Everything is intuitive, there aren't a ton of buttons, and everything works as it should. I'm really funny about mileage. I want to go fast and not pay for it. Audis and BMWs are sportier, but they take premium gas, and generally, don't get great mileage. Lord knows they aren't as reliable as Toyotas. I am constantly calculating my mileage, and calculate what I get out of every tank. Thus far, I'm averaging between 28 and 31 MPG. I drive fast, but I rarely floor it. And when I got to pass someone, I have total confidence I've got the power to do it. I bought it used, with rather high miles (43K) for a 2014, but it's Toyota certified, so I have 12K or 12 months bumper to bumper and 100K on the drivetrain. I got a good deal, according to my bank, so I'm happy.

Smooth ride, good gas mileage

by from Tampa, FL on April 8, 2014

I'm very happy with my Camry so far. It has a smooth ride and comfortable seats. It has surprising performance for a 4 cylinder. I'm averaging about 29 mpg with combined city and highway driving.

2nd camry I've owned

by from San Diego, Ca on January 20, 2014

This is the second Camry I've had, the first one lasted forever and it was very reliable. I would recommend it to anyone.

It's a Toyota

by from Independence, MO on July 8, 2014

I bought this Camry because of Toyota's reputation for reliability. I hope to drive if forever. The Camry's styling is not spectacular, but the performance is very good for a 4 cyl. engine. The interior and comfort is better than the Accord and Fusion, and I got a great deal on it as well. I'm very happy with it--it does exactly what I wanted in a car.

Comfortable, reliable but ugly

by from on March 7, 2014

I was shopping and narrowed by choice to the Camry and the Accord. Clearly, the Camry is more quiet and comfortable, but I went with the Accord for the European design look, great material/build quality and better handling/cornering. Yes, the tradeoff is the Accord has a firmer ride than the Camry. I can understand why many people like the comfort of the Camry, I just cannot stand the ugly design inside and out. BTW, this is not just the Camry, Toyota somehow does not have designs that appeal. Must I mention the Prius as an example? OMG, please.

I would not ever buy any other model car but canry

by from ft.Myers Fla on August 29, 2014

I already own a older model Camry and I love it. It has been one of the best cars I have ever had.So when it came time to buy a new car to me it was a no brainer.my choice was a Camry. Iam sure that if I had to do it all again tomorrow my choice would be the same. I can honestly say that I love it.

Very good handling

by from Johnstown,PA on June 30, 2014

Just became a new car buyer for the first time in a long time. I like Toyota and the way they take care of there customers.

First car, no regrets!

by from NJ on June 13, 2016

This is my first car purchase and I couldn't be happier. I looked at a lot of other cars before settling on this one. What I liked the most was the style and design of the car. I like the color which is a navy blue with a light interior and dark almost wooden looking features. The odometer is also a turquoise and lime green color which I really liked instead of your average red. I was very hesitant at first since I have been used to driving around in SUVs to start using a car especially because this European style cars are all so low in the front and I was afraid I would be bumping into everything totally not the case! The back up camera is an amazing feature! I just wish it had GPS because it shows me the traffic on the screen but not GPS it is weird. Nevertheless great purchase!

Have become disallusioned

by from Sparks, NV on July 22, 2015

I am a previous Toyota owner. My first Toyota was the little Echo. For all it's 186,000 miles I drove I only had to replace the worn out parts, but in the end the manual transmission was going to need overhauled. SO, I decided to purchase another "reliable" Toyota. I've always wanted a Camry. I was very excited when I purchased the 2014.5 XLE. However, now after driving it for 9 months I'm not happy with several aspects of the manufacturing. One selling point I wanted in a new car was in-dash GPS navigation. This model has the Entune system, which incorporates this along with voice activation for the navigation as well as phone calling and the radio. The navigation part is good, how be it a bit outdated, but the voice command system is extremely poor. It takes a long time to activate after starting the car and then has a very hard time recognizing what you are saying, even after several times going through the teaching setup. This whole Entune system is very out dated, with an out dated GPS map that Toyota is extremely slow at updating. The voice interaction is very slow compared to other car manufacturers with similar systems. Next, there are the plastic sounding rattles coming from various areas of the interior of the car, which have been hard to pinpoint. Something you wouldn't expect from a car of this "caliper" and price. The car came with the retractable moon roof, which will also flips up in the back. When fully closed or especially when it is flipped up in the back, it creaks when going around corners or over bumps in the road. It appears to be a solid made unit, but the creaking sound makes it sound very cheaply made. Now, I'm not a heavy person, so with only 8400 miles on the car when after driving around I get out of car and the driver side rear suspension creaks like it has never been lubed is very disappointing and presents itself as being a very cheaply made car, which the sales price I paid would have difference to. As someone else has mentioned, when it is raining and you open the door to get out your left leg will get soaked from the water trapped above the door someplace. Or, if it is raining and you open the door to get in 1/3 of the seat will get wet. You would think that a company like Toyota would have quickly redesigned this flaw to alleviate shower time when getting into their cars! Road noise. Didn't Toyota even bother with insulating against it?! My Echo was noisy on the road, but it was $14,000 cheaper, too. I was satisfied with the noise level after driving the Echo, because I was use to not having any insulation, but NOT after riding in comparable cars from other manufacturers. In this area the Camry falls short! SO, for the cost and the hype of this car I am beyond disappointed. The problems I mentioned I brought to the attention of two dealerships, and both said there was nothing they could do about it! This car just does not feel like a solidly built car. I am totally disheartened, disillusioned, and will not be purchasing any more Toyota cars in the future. This car is not the newly designed 2015, BUT a LOT of the exact same out dated manufactured items will be in the new car.