1999 Toyota Camry Solara

Most reliable car I?ve owned

by from Knoxville TN on September 15, 2017

Fun and reliable. Too bad Toyota quit making them or I?d buy a new one. And it gets great gas mileage

Quick and Exciting

by from New Castle, Pa on September 7, 2017

As far as the overall vehicle, I really enjoy driving this car, it is exciting to drive and the performance is exceptional.. The 4 cylinders are pushing and pounding as the car grips the pavement as you accelerate down the road.

Best car I ever owned

by from Menasha, WI on August 12, 2017

The best car ever owned. power , style, and toyota reliability. Dont think its to old with the right miles.

Love my 99 SLE V6

by from Salt Lake City, UT on July 18, 2017

Like many, I wish the Solara was still around in the 99 style. It has been a terrific car. Purchased in Jan 2003 with only 29K mi. Still have it and drive it in July 2017 now with only 209K. For the first 12 years, had only minimal maintenance, operations, and repair bills. About $1,500 per year cost of ownership (fuel, oil, o/m/r, insurance, etc.). Amounts to about $0.20 per mile or less. Quite good and less than many cars. (Yes, I keep meticulous records.) The last couple of years have been a bit tough: broken internal door mechanism; bad brake jobs; HVAC control unit has gone out; and struts need to be replaced. Oh yeah, a rim-busting pothole meant all new tires and a repaired wheel. Sounds bad, right? Well, I might have reached the economic end of ownership, but I still love it and have even considered spending the 4K needed for the control unit, struts, and timing chain. Just a great car. Lots of space (not even qualified relative to a coupe); trunk is larger than the Avalon's. The fold down seats provide extra functionality. Auto climate control, auto-dimming rear view mirror, no need for heated/cooled seats because the perforated leather seats are so good. It is a cruiser, though. Owned a Jetta just before the Solara. The Solara looks sporty but decidedly drives as a cruiser. The recommended tires are a bit on the soft side (contributes to the cruising feel). For a '99, this car was ahead of its time for us members of the hoi polloi who couldn't afford luxury but could afford a Solara ... and the many Lexus upgrades that came with it. A Camry it is not. Hey, have I said that I love it, yet? The only thing better would be the convertible of the same model year. Have even considered finding a '99 in good ole CA and shipping here.

Very reliable car! It's been great transportation!

by from Kansas City on July 15, 2017

I know this older car would be nice for a new driver. I got it for my daughter for her senior year in high school. She enjoyed it !!

Best car I have ever owned!

by from San Diego, CA on June 1, 2017

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. It is reliable, comfortable and stylish.. Highly recommended...

Exceptional Coupe

by from San Francisco, CA on June 7, 2015

I recently bought a 1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 with nearly 170,000 miles on it. The vehicle was a one owner, bought in the same city where I live and in excellent condition. The vehicle is a pleasure to drive with a nice responsive engine. The interior is very comfortable and the entire cabin is well designed. This is a great coupe, too bad it is no longer being produced. If you are thinking about buying a Toyota Solara, I know you will be satisfied with your purchase.

wish they still made them

by from Toronto, Ont. on August 28, 2014

Bought my 99 Solara SEV6 brand new. Still looks new..In fifteen years I've spent a little over two thousand dollars total on parts including two sets of tires. 152000 miles on it and still runs great. Why is it whenever someone has a great product, they stop making them ?

Best car I ever owned

by from mansfield, OH on July 29, 2011

Most comfortable to drive. Have SLE model with leather seats and moonroof. JBL sound system is great. Fun to drive and with a v6 it is fun to pass.

nice ride

by from west sayville on April 28, 2011

Great Car for the Coupe conscious with impeccable reliability, wonderful and spirited performance with the 5 speed manual. They do not make them like this anymore.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara