Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2003 Prius

2003 Toyota Prius

$616 - $6,696  MSRP Range
2003 Toyota Prius

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2003 Toyota Prius?

Great Value

by La Mesa Guy from La Mesa, CA on Thu Aug 09 2007

The Prius has been the best and most reliability car that I have ever owned. It is excellent on gas mileage and handles great on mountain roads. The mileage is outstanding in town. The air conditioner cools well, and the car is very comfort. I am just amaze at it's performance.

Ours has been insanely reliable

by KD from los angeles on Tue Dec 04 2012

We've taken this car from 66,000 miles to 166,000 miles...and replaced two shocks, four tires, and a regular battery. And that's IT!!!! Combined with 45 mpg average, and it's the cheapest car to drive on the planet. We have loved this car and can't figure out how we'll ever replace it for something with 45 mpg, and nearly zero maintenance costs! It's mind-boggling how well this car runs, and just keeps going and going and going.

My favorite car

by Brit Gal from Hollywood California on Fri Feb 16 2018

Perfect for me. Reliable, efficient in fact a very cool car. Not only is it fun to drive but is safe and nifty. I could not be happier.

Expensive to maintain

by Sggs2404 on Mon Mar 26 2018

This was expensive to maintain, compared to other Toyota’s. I bought it at $145k miles and that same year I had to replace the hybrid battery ($2k) and CAT ($1700). All repairs and main fence need to be done at a dealership, because other mechanics don’t know how to work on hybrids (everything looks different under the hood). So that gets pricey. Also, the power that it has is lacking. It has as much power as a golf cart. Going up hills is the worst. Reliable otherwise.

Does not recommend this car!!

I loved my Prius when I bought her........

by Gracie's Mom from Charlotte NC on Fri Sep 14 2007

I purchased my 2003 Prius in Dec 2002; it now has less than 55.000 miles on it. Six times since I bought it, the warning lights, engine ck lights, etc have come on. The car has gone from ~25 mph to 19 to 12 - all the way to 3mph, -> 2->>DEAD. Three times I have waited anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours and the car has restarted with no problem. Three times my car required towing to the dealership. The dealership has NOT found a problem yet. The last time this happened, my car was at the dealership for 1 week to be driven and checked out. One mechanic did not feel comfortable driving it home because it may 'die'. How does he think I feel? No physical damage. I have paid for 3 towings; I have rented a car 3 times. I have to be without a car for days -- luckily I have friends. The biggest problems are (1) I don't trust my car --- reliability is non-existent, (2) the resale value is limited if I were to trade it in at a dealership and I could not in good conscience, sell it to another person (3) I don't meet the lemon law requirement of 4 problems over 12 months and (4) I can not afford another car payment -- and I should not have to buy a new car -- this one has less than 55,000 miles on it! I loved her when I bought it and I would like to love her again -- but I don't trust it! Sounds like an old, sad love song doesn't it??

Does not recommend this car!!

Toyota Prius

by Hybrid Fan from Chicago, IL on Fri May 26 2006

This is a great car for gas mileage, however I live in Chicago and they don't handle very well in the snow. I think due the lightness and low to the ground build, they tend to slip more than other two door models. Other than than, a great city car!

Great car!

by Car enthusiast from on Tue Nov 09 2010

Best mileage of any car I've ever owned. Super comfortable and quiet. Can't beat the reliability. Kinda like that Energizer Bunny - just keep going, and going, and going . . .