1999 Toyota RAV4 consumer reviews

$15,728–$18,188 MSRP range
side view of 1999 RAV4 Toyota
Explore the 1999 Toyota RAV4

A Great Vehicle Overall!

Driving a 1996 RAV4 in Eastern Africa, I came to love these vehicles. When I returned to the U.S. I bought a 1999 RAV4 and drove it for 8 years. The handling is safe on difficult terrain and the gas mileage is great. The space inside the vehicle is bigger than you think. The amenities are nice, the standard equipment is more than adequate, and the comfort is fine even on long trips. The smaller body size of this SUV is perfect for singles, couples, and families. It is a reliable vehicle and I will own a RAV4 as long as possible! I have heard it said that if you are shopping for a RAV4 then ask a person who owns one what they think. I am telling you, they are the best vehicles I have ever owned! I love my RAV4!

4.0

Great transportation

I've enjoyed this car for about 4 years. I have almost 200,000 miles and drive it a lot for work. It continues to be comfortable and fun to drive. Hubby thinks it's a 'chick car' -- works for me. I especially like the good visibility with the RAV. I replaced the radio, try to keep up on regular maintenance, and have regular oil changes. It is reliable and good on gas compared to similar cars.

3.4

most uncomfortable car I've owned

their is no arm rests in the car very little room in the back to sit and the head rests are too stiff

3.0

Unimpressive

This car is not bad, but not great either. It is quite versatile for hauling. The rear seats fold in several different ways. It handles well in snow. The handling is nicely overall: the steering has a good, tight feel, and the suspension is solid and stable. The biggest weakness is that it is extremely underpowered. With only 127 HP i, it feels very slow. It gets 25 MPG, which is decent but not great for such a small engine. I had a Subaru Outback, a car about the same size , AWD, and much more power, that got significantly better mileage than the RAV4 does. I have about 130,000 miles on it, and it has been pretty reliable, though not without its problems. The Toyota name adds a good bit to the price of a used car, though, and I'm not sure it was worth it.

4.0

Perfect Little SUV

It's an awesome little SUV. Handling is light and taught. I don't really care much for the interior size, especially for people over 5'9, being as I'm 6'0 and 245 pounds. It handles awesome in winter weather, and gets the best gas mileage I've ever seen out of an SUV. My only real complaint is that my model didn't come with ABS, and is really weak when it comes to punching the gas. I'd recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to wisely spend their money on a reliable, tough, and kind of cute suv.

What a great little SUV

I really liked this car. It looks great and is fun to drive. It sparked both inside and out. Handling was quick. It's not a luxury car so comfort was O.K., but not super. The AC worked great. Love the way the seats all fold down. I do alot of gardening and can see using this car for all my hauling back from nurseries.