2008 Yaris

2008 Toyota Yaris

2008 Toyota Yaris

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have you driven the 2008 Toyota Yaris?

what a bang for the buck

by mtpride from utica ny on Wed Nov 09 2011

The Toyota yaris in my opinion has to be the most affordable well rounded car out there... I'm in my mid twenties and love mine. Gas lasts forever and its cheap to fill. Its the perfect size for me and when I car pool it is easy and comfortable enough for four. The trunk is a great size for a four door car and I have never had a problem on snlw or ice. It handles well and is the best purchase I have ever made.

I LOVE this car ... more & more all the time.

by HappyYarisOwner from Louisiana on Tue Jun 01 2010

I came to the point in January of this year that I needed a new car. My old one was simply done. I had been interested in looking at the Toyota Yaris & found a great deal on a preowned 2008 Yaris Sedan. I've been driving this car for the past four months, and I absolutely love it. It's a fun car to drive & the gas mileage is unreal. I just returned from a trip today. I drove right at 400 miles each way. On the way, I averaged 41.5 miles per gallon. On my return trip, I averaged 42. On a standard tank for me, with a mixture of highway & city driving, I usually average between 35-37 miles per gallon. While driving this car, I often find myself thinking, "I LOVE my car." I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, and with it being a Toyota, that may be a long while! A few specific things I like about the car are these - * Gas mileage is amazing. * The MP3 jack is great ... I use it all the time with the iPod on my iPhone. The sound system is also good, in my opinion. * The cupholders are in a very convenient location, and I like that I don't have to take my eyes off of the road at all when reaching/looking for my drink, but the downside is that your cup blocks the air/heater vent. * The trunk is very spacious. * The speedometer being in the middle of the dashboard was very quick for me to get used to. Some people think it would take some time, but for me, it did not. It doesn't bother me at all. Overall, I'd give this car a 9.5 out of 10, with my only true complaint being that the driver's seat is a little uncomfortable for long trips. And the very minor detail that my drink blocks an air vent. Everything else is perfect!

money saver

by silvereagle2 from ny state on Mon Oct 03 2011

Bought new Sept. 2008, (sedan) since then I have put over 65,000 miles on it, with no problems. Originally bought to be a commuter car. ( 70+ miles a day). Best gas mpg 45, lowest mpg 36. Avg. city 38, highway 42. 5 spd manual transmission. It does get a little uncomfortable on long trips ( 750+ miles) but worth it in fuel savings vs the comfort of a F250 @ 17mpg. It is great in the snow with a good set of tires. It has no frills, manual tranny, A/C, and a CD player, manual windows, locks. Original brakes still in good shape, should get at least 100,000 miles out of them, if not more. Cup holders took a little to get use to. Center control panel no problems, actually I kind of like it. This car is the best bang for your buck. This is my first Toyota car.

Best reliability of any car

by Down to earth car buyer from Allentown, PA on Mon Apr 18 2011

I have own since 1976 Toyota cars exclusively. All of the cars had no problems. The only trouble I had was when a part wore out from age. For the last ten years I had a 02 Echo, 05 Echo, and a 08 Yaris. (Echo name changed to Yaris) I have sold the 02 and 05 Echos and have no complaints from the buyers. I am now in the process of selling the 08 Yaris and will buy either a 2011 Yaris or a 2011 Prius.

Pleasant Commute

by Garret D from Miam, Fl on Wed Jan 08 2014

A great, well-designed little car. Very comfortable for me (I'm 6'2", 220#) with more headroom than my Dad's minivan and more knee room than my friend's Mazda 3. As a tall person who usually finds the steering wheel partially blocking the speedometer, I actually found the center-mount speedo an improvement. Have driven the car through Wyoming blizzards and ugly urban commutes and found it pleasant, sturdy and nimble. It also holds a lot, like me, my 2-man crew, 2 tool boxes, & 25 gallons of paint (never thought the Yaris would muscle in on my pick-up!). Best mileage I've had was 42mpg on a run between S.F. and Reno.

Great little car for the money!

by Serious Car Nut from Jacksonville, AL on Wed Jan 27 2010

Purchased this car in August 2008 brand new with 8 miles on the odometer. Chose the fully loaded model with all the options available. Pros: Great gas mileage: around 31 city, as high as 40 on the highway. Interior layout: the instrument cluster in the middle is weird to get used to at first, but I find that when driving the other car (2003 BMW 325i), I prefer the Yaris instrumentation because it's less distracting while driving. Everything is simply laid out and easy to understand. Standard Toyota. Reliability: not one problem and we now have 27,000 miles on the car. Toyota service dept at my local dealer gets regularly scheduled maintenance performed in less than 30 minutes WITHOUT an appointment! And it's only $45 for everything, and they vacuum out the car to boot! :-) Handling: won't out corner a Mazda or BMW, but definitely drives like a much larger car and feels safe on the road. Cons: Comfort: while it's seats are comfortable enough on short hops, anything over 3 hours is going to really start to take it's toll on your back and thighs. It simply needs a little softer seats on the bottom, and more lumbar support on the back. If they could fix this, it would be PERFECT for road trips! Handling in less than ideal weather: on windy days, be forewarned that this little car will fight you to stay in the correct lane. Slow down, and maintain a firm grip. Performance: I realize that this is a 1.5 liter engine, but some low end torque would have been nice. Once up to higher speeds, the car is fine. But don't expect this car to merge quickly. Allow yourself some time, it's only 107 ponies! Overall, I like the car for everyday driving in a slightly rural area. It's just not a long haul car. But you can't beat the sticker price brand new, the gas mileage, resale value or reliability of Toyota. Used Yaris' are going for more than we paid new. Incredible! And the massive recall on Toyota's recently do NOT include the Yaris. Buy with confidence!

2008 Toyota yaris

by lj from Mass on Mon Dec 19 2011

Excellent in every way. Gas mileage over 40m/g consistently. Very reliable. Cute. Would recommend to anyone.

Very Reliable Car

by Diamond from Lafayette, Louisiana on Thu Apr 19 2018

I've been driving a used 2008 Toyota Yaris I brought at 135k miles. I owned a pontiac G6 previously before buying this car. The pontiac had constant issues and was draining me financially. Once I brought the Yaris, I was amazed at the great gas miliage. I save a $100 a month on gas when I drive my car alone without family members. I've owed it 7 months and I've had no major issues only oil changes. I've never been more happier.

I love my car!

by kait from West Virginia on Thu Aug 02 2012

I just got my yaris about a month ago, just made my first payment. Best decision ever. I love my car so much :) She drives so well and is beautiful on the inside and out. With GREAT gas mileage. I recommend this car 100%

The Yaris can't be beat

by Yaris believer from Kentucky on Fri Apr 17 2009

If you are looking for a compact, functional car, the Yaris is perfect. I have the sedan version with the S trim. There is enough room for four adults! The outside is sharp and the inside was well thought out. Toyota did a wonderful job of utilizing the space available so you feel like you have ample space. This car turns on a DIME! I get so many comments from people about how much they love the car and they always want to look in it and are shocked at the amount of space. Forget about those reviews that say the center speedometer is a problem...It's NOT! I was used to it 15 minutes after I drove my car off the lot. I drove a Mercury Cougar for almost 10 years and thought I would go through withdrawal from my V6. Absolutely not! The Yaris is SO much fun to drive and it blows my mind how much money I'm saving on gas. I do not have a negative thing to say about this car. After my parents saw/rode in mine, now they are going to buy one. Even the sound system impressed me (I had added a brand new system in my Cougar...so I'm a bit picky). Go test drive one and you'll be hooked.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota Yaris

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2006 about the sedan version of the 2007 Toyota Yaris. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Toyota's Yaris arrives just in time to compete with several new and upgraded fuel-efficient subcompact models, filling a rejuvenated category that once appealed only to the frugal — or the broke.

The Yaris replaces the Echo, which missed the mark from the moment it hit salesrooms in 2000, appealing more to seniors than to the young drivers it was aimed at. Toyota doesn't always get it right the first time, but its models often evolve... Read More