2022 Volkswagen Taos consumer reviews

side view of 2022 Taos Volkswagen
Explore the 2022 Volkswagen Taos
Shop the 2022 Volkswagen Taos

Cute & sporty car

I recently purchased the Taos & so far I love it. This is my first Volkswagen as I drove a Toyota Prius for many years & had to replace after a totaling from an accident. In today’s world it’s so hard to replace a car that you love and if you find something you like you better go ahead and get it or it will be gone tomorrow. We test drove the Taos and purchased it that night. My only complaint so far is the manual back hatch lift. I for some reason thought it came with that and it does not. Not a dealbreaker though just something I thought I would like to have & considering the bells and whistles in the car and the price it seems like it should come with it. I look forward to many journeys with this car it might be better to write a review later after owning it longer but so far we really are enjoying the car.

4.1

Fun & Efficient Taos SE 4-Motion

2022 Taos SE 4-Motion: Replaced an Audi Q3 Quattro. Slightly less power, but much better MPG & regular gas vs. premium. For 99% of my driving, more than adequate. Am in San Diego, have taken it w/ 3 people up to the mountains & over to Palm Springs. No problem keeping up w/ traffic & even passing slower traffic when necessary. Averaged 34mpg on that trip. Overall, 28.5mpg in an AWD, I'm satisfied! We love the additional drivetrain configurability the 4-Motion system offers via the mode select dial (N/A on FWD). Being in San Diego, have not experienced snow, but works extremely well in hard rain. Interior is extremely comfortable for 4, w/ lots of luggage space. The digital dash is very clear in all lighting conditions & partially configurable. The SEL gives you full configurability. Sound system was a nice surprise as two cars ago I had a 2013 Tiguan which had a poor sound system WRT fidelity. Cupholders are good! A/C blows nice & cold, w/ rear pax vents. We have the silver wheels (vs. black), 18". Nice balance between sportiness, efficiency, noise, & ride. Matches the chrome roof rails nicely. One minor improvement w/b to offer a power liftgate, but the manual liftgate is easy to use & I'm OK w/o a power liftgate. Price is a bit high, but you do get what you pay for & appreciate that the first two services are complimentary plus the 4 year/50k warranty!!

The Taos is dandy!

I have the Taos se, all wheel drive, standard safety package. I love the car and just got 39 mpg on a recent 60 mile jaunt. The car feels roomier than the Forester, CRV and Rav. I like the radio and temp control dials, the great sun roof and the solid "driveability". I'm not in a race and believe the acceleration and braking response are dandy. I get lots of compliments on the car's appearance. No problems after 4 months and 5000 miles. I love the car.

2.9

Trash!!!

After having the car 6 months I put 24,000 miles on it and need back brakes and rotors. This is very soon to need this done and only Volkswagen can do it. It’s clearly a defect being they went bad this soon. A caring and understanding dealership should want to keep customers happy and acknowledge that something’s wrong and help to correct the issue but that’s not the case. I will never purchase another VW.

Better than the Tiguan

I got the first Taos off the showroom floor. My previous car was a Tiguan. The Taos is sportier, has a better interior with more bells and whistles, and has GO! The colors are brighter, the options better and mine has a huge sun roof. This car is far superior to the Tiguan.

1.4

Skip it - for now!

If you can purchase something else, consider anything OTHER than the Taos. It's a very basic compact SUV that is outclassed by probably 9/10 of its competitors. It has a nice appearance overall, but has a lot to be desired once you leave the dealer. My vehicle is approximately 10 months old, not driven as much and currently has less than 5,000 miles on it. One star is the best I could give this vehicle, maybe two on a good day. Drive: Very poor handling on the streets. Have to drive in Sport mode to keep up with traffic. The stalling the engine does when you slow down makes it very dangerous because the car automatically wants to turn off when coming to a stop, the start/stop mode is supposed to help but is a liability. This is a big issue when slowing down to turn.. the car feels like it's losing too much power when making a right turn that feels unsafe and unless you have the start/stop mode off, making a left turn is even more of a challenge. And because of the poor handling, making turns feels like the car is throwing you out of the driver's seat - almost roller coaster like, if you ever been on a ride that only has the bar that covers your leg and not the full harness, you know what I mean. Interior: Poor design inside the vehicle, related to comment above - it could use an armrest, which might help when making turns. The dash/cockpit and steering wheel are the best assets in the S. The area to plug your phone has a weird angle that makes it tough to plug into unless you're in Park, the CarPlay continuously disconnects due to the angle and/or hitting a bump disconnects the phone slightly making it necessary to unplug and replug the phone while driving. The SE and higher trims much better technology set-up that has wireless charging and connection so, the cord appears to not have the same issue with CarPlay but I don't know for sure. It's a very compact car, I find that the passenger seat ride is okay - I have a baby-seat in the rear that only allows for so much room in front-passenger seat but, you should not need to push the seat back for basic foot room. I'm also 5'6" so I could only imagine how folks 5'7" and above might feel in that seat. Conversely, the back seating area is much more spacious than the passenger seat. It's pretty clear that the manufacturer is hyper focused on upselling to models beyond the S. Power seating, keyless entry, rear cargo cover should be standard - but that'll cost an extra 5-6K to get that and upgraded technology. Technology sure, but this is other stuff is just plain cheap not not valuing customer retention. The objective is to make me want to buy a higher model because of additional value - not nickel and dime me for what's almost standard in most vehicles worth your time in 2022. Electrical/Technology: Related to Start/Stop and other safety features, the vehicle has some bugs that I'm hoping can be resolved. Lately, while driving, the car will flash the check engine light when it's low on gas... but it also shuts down and needs to be restarted at stoplights. There's been a few times that I've been trying to pull off and had to quickly restart the car. Gas: Gets average mpg.. my car had the fuel line recall and was out of service for several months due to a backlog in parts. Very great mileage on a road trip. There's so much more that could be said about the vehicle. But, in short, until they fix basic issues you should avoid buying a Taos. It's been a disappointment to say the least.

It’s fun

Great SUV for under $30k. It looks sharp; especially compared to competitors in its class. The features are great: wireless Apple CarPlay, heated front seats, and an app to control the car through. Driving the Taos is fun. It’s a comfortable ride and easy to maneuver. Low speed acceleration is quick, but if you try to punch it there’s a lag. I suspect that’s the trade off for better MPG. I live in an urban area and this has been a perfect car for me, so far!