2013 C30

2013 Volvo C30

5 out of 5 stars Reliability
5 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2013 Volvo C30?

A category bender

by SPQR from FL on Thu Jan 17 2013

It's hard to know where to start. I was shopping for a racy commuter car. I wanted something comfortable and quiet with a lot of power. I'm driving about 100 miles a day and my other car (a sports car) was getting beat up and was just not comfortable for the long drive. I appreciated it's power though (don't get me started about the drivers where I live...) and I knew I couldn't stand driving something "gutless." I knew of the c30 and found it curious, but hadn't driven one. I had a Saab 9-3 some years ago and really loved the turbo engine and comfort it delivered. I didn't want something as big or 4-door though, so I went and drove a used c30. A few minutes behind the wheel really made me SMILE but I knew that particular car wasn't the one, so I started to shop for just the right car. This car has fantastic straight-line performance with "comfort oriented" handling. I found a base model 2013 with the Premium Package, Climate control and the Blonde Leather interior (6-speed). It had everything I wanted and what a wonderful car it is. To call this car a hatchback... is silly. There is little utility intended by its rear opening. It was done for design not utility. Some people like the design lines and some don't, but it isn't (and shouldn't be) easily categorized. I think the closest car on the market is the Audi A3, which is a nice car. I'm sorry Audi (I like your cars) but the c30 completely smokes the A3. It has more power, more comfort and more style. I wish the critics hadn't cast this car as something that competes with the Ford Focus, GTI and Mazda 3. I was not a customer for any of those cars. I was familiar with the A3 and did consider it, but didn't want 4 doors or the higher cost and poorer performance. Volvo, it's a shame this car is going away and that you aren't bringing the V40 and it's derivatives to the US. I think the US auto press has done us a great disservice with their inaccurate and damaging reviews of this car. When a car manufacturer produces something unique the press is doing the public a great disservice by driving terrific vehicles like this out of the market. The c30 was criticized about handling, but clearly the car was designed for comfort not track performance. How many people need track performance anyway? I spend 2 hours a day on the freeway and its the speed comfort and quiet I need, not race track handling. I like "alternative" I like "options" and I don't want to drive a Toyota, Honda, Audi, BMW, the cars you seem to think satisfy everyone's needs. They don't! There are so few cars left that offer something different, and we have just lost another one. Buy one while you can!

Sporty 2door coupe

by 1800nut from Beaverton Oregon on Sat Dec 08 2012

We own the styling legacy for the C30 ('73 1800ES) so really liked the rear styling of the C30. The front was pretty boring until they updated it a couple years back. The 6 speed manual behind the 2.5 liter turbo really moves! Great fit and finish throughout. Bluetooth and Sirius work great! They stopped making these December 1st so if you want one, best get to it.

Great compact car

by mark from Los Angeles on Tue May 23 2017

Great performance - very quick and responsive. Interior quarters sizeable enough to fit my 6 foot frame. Rear seats fold down so golf clubs, golf cart, and other golf paraphenalia easily fit.

Only owned a few days but a joy to drive

by J & L from Sodus Point on Fri Mar 10 2017

Comfortable and so easy to drive. Best car I have ever driven. 5 years old and drives like a new car.

Smooth, Fast, Classic ...

by Mike O. from Columbus OH on Mon Jun 18 2012

Came in looking for a 2012 listed in web stock -- it was gone, but this 2013 was just off the truck that morning and going through arrival prep. The new base model comes with *nice* (and proper) five-spoke wheels ... better-looking than the R-spec wheels IMO and miles better than the previous 7-spoke style. Test drove this in a six-speed minutes after driving a 2012 VW GTI with the DSG transmission, and if this car leaves anything on the table compared to the GTI in handling, it's beyond anything I do on a public road. Ride, brake feel, and power delivery exceed the GTI IMO. Handling is a toss-up between the two, and the primary advantage of the VW is much better cargo space + the three-across back row. In favor of the Volvo: endless torque from the basement on up, no perceptible turbo lag, better warranty and better reliability rep. (We'll see). Buy this over the VW if you don't need room for five and a bunch of cargo space and you prefer a hot hatch without too many boy racer cues. The two lucky passengers in the back get adequate leg room, large, sculpted thrones, and a generous padded armrest. Corporate Volvo nose is one notch above boring, but the rear glass effect and 3/4 styling of the flanks is automotive art.

The Great car search

by Jewish Leprechaun from Subarbs of Chicago on Tue Jun 06 2017

I am crazy about these cars when saw one two years ago fell in love with style and beauty and I new I had to have one more my self and now that may come true,I'm very excited about the possibility!!!!

Volvo safety and performance

by Mulsanne from Bourbonnais on Wed Feb 08 2017

The Volvo C30 combines excellent safety features, great comfort, and a turbo engine with brilliant performance. Clearly reflecting the best of the Volvo brand