2006 V50

3.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

eye catching alternative to A4 or Outback

by Volvo convert from Fairbanks, AK on December 7, 2006

I considered the Audi A4 and Outback XT wagon but settled on the Volvo V50 T5 AWD. The Audi dealer was so rude and didnt think I was serious that I ended up leaving after a brief chaparoned test drive. The Subaru, compared to the V50 felt downright clunky, big (but it was fast) and gimmicky in its controls. The V50 is fast, surefooted and has great interior and exterior asthetics. You see lots of A4s and Outbacks but I hardly ever see a V50 so I feel like I stand out a bit. Its a fun car and thus far its been bulletproof. The gas mileage is great, advertised at 28mpg/hwy but the computer tells me I get 30-33 on the highway and even 28 when driving hard on twisty mountain roads. The center console combines all controls in a very easy to use and intuitive package. I would recommend the 6 speed manual, its fluid and falls into each gear effortlessly, not to mention making use of the turbo 2.5L 5 cyl to its fullest.

RED DEVIL DOG HAULER

by ScreenScribe from Los Angeles, CA on July 18, 2008

I found this 2006 model languishing on a California lot in 2007. Lucky for me, most prospective V50 buyers weren't interested in a family wagon that was fire engine red; had the six speed manual tranny from the awesome S60"R" models; slightly lowered sport suspension; 200+ horse T5 engine and AWD . But for a guy who's second car is a Porsche 911 and refuses to accept maturity gracefully, it was the perfect car! This little red devil had actually been the display car at the Ford Factory in Dearborn, Michigan so it had every available luxury option (heated seats, sunroof, upgraded stereo etc.). When the dealership offered me a ridiculously good deal , I didn't hesitate. . I had owned a 2001 V70, and while I found it to be well constructed and safe, it was dull as dishwater to drive. This V50 is a whole different animal. About as good as it gets when striking a balance between luxury, utility and sportiness. It is extremely stable and predictable, even at high speeds. The steering is a little heavier (which I prefer) and therefore demands a more input from the driver than an Audi or BMW, but the handling limits of this car are VERY high. The turbo charged engine has very little lag and loads of torque. There's very little understeer due to the AWD. The car feels nimble, tossable. You don't don't just drive in the V50, you "maraud". It's too tempting NOT to test this cars limits. The shifter is excellent and the clutch very light. Even in the worst LA traffic, I never get that crampy feeling in my clutch foot. A little practical touch that shows you how well Volvo knows their customers: you can basically roll to a complete stop before you need to depress the clutch and keep the car from stalling. So even in bumper to bumper traffic, you don't need to constantliy shift. You can nearly run the car down to 0 MPH before you must push in the clutch. Build quality is outstanding. Cabin ergonomics are excellent. While many German sedans have become busy looking and hard on the eyes, Volvo design elements are iconically Swedish with a subdued elegance. Sporty and attractive, not nouveau rich-y "look at me! look at me!". No, it's not a Porsche, but I can't fit my three year old and two Weimaraners in the back of a 911 either.

Outstanding vehicle but beware mechanical problems

by Rock River Pirate from Rockford, IL on June 18, 2016

I bought my V50 2.4i used from one of the big name dealerships in town with 159,000 miles on it for only 5k. It was a fantastic deal, no rusting, easy handling, stylish exterior and interior design, and ample trunk space. It is an excellent car but a problem before I even made my first payment, the coolant expansion tank had a crack in it. It wasn't noticeable until I was on a trip to Chicago. The crack opened up and coolant started spraying out and the engine overheated, causing the engine head to warp. After repairs it is still a fantastic car to drive and has been extremely reliable since. I would absolutely recommend this car, just make sure to get it inspected; as you should with all used cars. A damaged $200 part can end up costing you more that the car is worth.

Great Small Family Wagon

by Grand Enigma from NJ on November 27, 2012

This has been my daily driver for 100,000+ miles and I must say I could not be happier. It is a very comfortable, safe and extremely reliable car. I have not had to have the vehicle in for anything more than routine maintenance. The T5 AWD trim is very responsive and shore footed in all weather conditions. You will be hard pressed to find another AWD wagon in this class that has the comfort, style, and fuel economy of this vehicle. I highly recommend the Volvo V50 T5 AWD based on my years and miles of happy and trouble free ownership.

Engine failure at 143K miles

by BestPal from San Diego, CA on February 28, 2018

I really loved driving the car when it was working fine. Quiet, fast, smooth. Multiple electrical issues with windows, door locks, etc. These cars are under-engineered. The crankshaft bearings are made out of aluminum, and failed with 143,000 miles on the T5 engine. Putting in a "new" donor engine (with 70K miles) would be more expensive than the car is worth. So I had to dump it for close to scrap value. All the maintenance was done including oil and filter changes. Mechanic said I possibly used the wrong filter... Yet he stated he replaced a good dozen of these engines in the last few years!!!! I used MANN and K&N filters. Regular intervals maintenance was done with full synthetic Castrol oil. What a joke... if a different brand filter can kill an engine. NEVER AGAIN Volvo. Never again.

Reliable

by edb on August 1, 2017

Very good for new car owner. Very reliable but when you start hitting the 100k miles you will need to get a code reader. Mainly need to change the spark plugs and need to change oil every 12k miles.

Volvo got in over their head

by Sports Car Enthusiast from New Jersey, NJ on June 8, 2007

The torque from the engine and the mpg are great. Starter went at 38k miles. I've had it in for numerous "software upgrades". I feel like a beta software tester. Radio stopped working, car only blowing hot air even when AC is on, software upgrades. Air bag warning light, back to the dealer to have it reset. Put anything on the passenger seat like for example a gym bag and the car warns me for ~10 minutes to put my seat belt on. In numerous times for that and it's still not right.

Major disappointment

by The Truth from san diego ca on March 5, 2015

There is nothing good to say about this dealer except unprofessional lacking customer service skills and unable to product as advertised. What showed in the photos was not what I saw at all. The car was damaged they claim they were unaware of such until I showed them they'er response was we can buff that out no problem we can wash the car in 2 minutes. I will never go there again nor do I recommend this dealer to anyone. Unbelievable!

Our Expert Review: 2006 Volvo V50