CARS.COM — Choosing the color of your new car is often one of the most important parts of the shopping process. Paint type can play an important factor, too, as certain finishes not only cost significantly more than standard colors but can also require special care, like BMW’s matte finish.
An overlooked aspect of this process, however, is how embarrassed you might feel telling your friends and family the name of the paint color you so desperately wanted — there are some real clunkers out there. Here are 10 of the strangest paint colors, including vehicles you can buy in those colors:
1. Contusion Blue Pearlcoat: 2017 Dodge Challenger
The color looks fantastic on the car, but why name it after the fancy name for a bruise? There’s no reason to associate your car with blood pooling under the skin.
2. Any color that isn’t British Racing Green: Jaguar
There are rules, folks.
3. Magnetic Metallic: 2017 Ford F-150
The aluminum body panels painted in this color are, of course, not magnetic at all.
4. Caribou Metallic: 2017 Ford F-250
Imagine metal-clad caribou terrorizing the other animals on the tundra, and the “clang” as their antlers clash together.
5. Hardly Green: 2017 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
If it’s hardly green then, uh, what color is it mostly?
6. Ensign Red: 2017 Rolls-Royce Ghost
Things rarely turn out well for ensigns dressed in red.
7. Ooh La La Rouge Mica: 2017 Toyota Avalon
No one has ever said,”Ooh la la” about a Toyota Avalon. Guaranteed.
8. Agriculture Red: 2017 Ram 1500
Is red really the most obvious color that comes to mind when you hear the word “agriculture”?
9. Symphony Air Silver: 2017 Hyundai Elantra
Perhaps we lack culture, but if the air at the symphony is visibly silver, run — don’t walk — to the nearest exit while trying not to inhale any of it.
10. Moonwalk Grey: 2017 Mini Hardtop
Maybe this color makes it look like the car is gliding as it reverses?