2001 A4

2001 Audi A4

2001 Audi A4

3.9

Have You Driven the 2001 Audi A4?

Most unreliable car I have ever owned

by Disgruntled 2001 Audi A4 Quatro Owner from Laguna Beach, CA on Mon Jun 02 2008

First off let me say that my 2001 Audi A4 Quatro is a fun car to drive and handles well and something I feel very safe in with all wheel drive, 8 airbags, electronic slip protection and anti lock brakes. Unfortunately however it is the absolutely most UNRELIABLE vehicle I have ever owned. I have done almost all the service at the dealer according to schedule and this car has given me nothing but headaches. Starting at 42k just outside the warranty I had the Cam Adjuster go bad which cost me well over $1200 to replace. Shortly thereafter I had the led's on the entire dashboard go bad. Another $1200 down the drain. Then every 3-5k miles some random electrical sensor would go bad which cost another $150-$350 for each occurrence. Now the cherry to top things off my timing belt at just over 77k has broken when the manufacturer recommends replacing this at 120K. Funny how on my tow ride to the auto shop the tow truck driver commented to me how "oh yeah you have an Audi....we tow lots of these" This will be my first and last Audi. What a pile of junk

Does not recommend this car!!

SNOW MONSTER

by K04A401 from Scranton, PA on Sun Dec 30 2007

I have a 01.5 A4 Quattro. The 1.8t engine requires close attention to maintenance. Oil must be changed every 3k miles with full synthetic and it would be a good idea to have the timing belt and water pump replaced every 75k miles; if the belt breaks, you will more than likely bend valves and have to get a new cylinder head. Other than that, it's pretty reliable. The interior is comfortable with nice styling and controls. The exterior has a nice European touch to it and stands out from most other sedans. The power from the factory is alright, but nothing to brag about (170chp/166ctq). I replaced the turbo with a slightly larger K04 turbo and added an exhaust with a few other goodies to make around 245chp/275ctq. With the added power and quattro, it is now a whole other animal. Launching it is a blast, as is flying around parking lots in the snow. Never got the car stuck in snow.. even when there was 14" on the ground. It's more fun to drive than my 07 BMW Z4 3.0i.

After 170,000 only one expensive repair

by caveman from florida on Thu Oct 11 2007

I didn't change the timing belt when I was supposed to. It broke at 160,000 miles cost me almost $3,000. It doesn't exactly fit my standards as a sports car but I love the style and sporty look. I get frustrated because I am not able to smoke other nameless cars at red lights. My A4 doesn't have any get up and go. maybe its the miles.

Strong German build

by QuattroFan on Wed Jun 06 2018

This car will go past your expectations. It may be a AWD 4 cyclinder but it?s very powerful, very reliable, gas efficient, and very satisfying.

Best car I?ve owned

by Stitch0127 from Fort myers do on Wed Feb 14 2018

Love this car great gas mileage. Never got stuck in the snow. Cheap to fix if something ever did break. Over all I?d recommend this car to anyone.

Loved this car!

by QAdler from Indiana on Tue Jul 18 2017

My ex bf bought this car for me to have a safe yet fun car to drive. Absolutely loved it. The sounds system rocked. It took turns like a dream. The lights were bright enough to see clear in the worst weather. It was comfortable at any speed and distance. I was super upset when he sold it out from under me before we broke up.

Stylish and Fun to Drive

by RB from Queens, NY on Tue Jun 24 2008

I've had this car for eight years now, so far no complaints. Very reliable and easy to own. I am getting another Audi later this year because I've been happy with this car.

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!

by sondwhi69 from Tucson, AZ on Fri May 19 2017

FAST FAST FAST I LOVE THIS CAR BEST CAR IVE EVER OWNED HATE TO SELL IT BUT TIMES ARE HARD THIS CAR IS GREAT

Fun, original, stylish, pricey

by 275Crimson from Arlington, Tx on Tue Jul 27 2010

I got my 2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with 90k on it, as a second "toy" car. It's definitely what I expected; a peppy head turning ride. This car can do things that a lot of others cannot. I recently added a K&N filter, Raisin voltage stablizer, Milltek exhaust (CATS all the way back), and Jet ECU upgrade. This car now goes, and goes in style. People are always complimenting the car, saying how nice it is, and how they don't see many on the road. Downside: You need some coin to maintain this car. Any and everything on this car is pricey. It is a Euro. All in all, I love the ride, and am thinking about slapping a super charger on it next.... but I know if I were looking for a low budget vehicle this would not be it.

Experienced users only

by ETS from PA on Sat Sep 15 2012

I purchased the car used with 135K mile. It has a V6 engine which provides good pickup in a small car with AWD. Stayed away from high miles turbo 4s. I have an A6 for 10 years with 180K on it, so I've had some practice dealing with Audi issues. First lesson is to find someone who knows Audi's to work on the car aside from the dealer, then the repair costs will only be high instead of very high. Then head off some of the more common maintenance issues, which will avoid really expensive issues. After a tune up, new wires, full coolant system redo because someone mixed coolants, timing belt, new rear bearings, new tires and transmission service it runs like s Swiss watch. Not sure of the suspension status yet, but rides and handles well at this point. No rust! I expect another 100k out of it at which point I'll probably be $10K all in on purchase and maintenance items. Not a bad deal, while driving a nice car during a Northeast winter.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Audi A4

Don't think that just because we gave the 2001 Audi A4 1.8 T high marks we had nothing to argue about. After all, everything triggers heated discussion in our household, from Scrabble game rules to choice of breakfast cereal. So it was with the admirable German sedan with a $27,440 price tag. The Audi we tested also came with the optional $1,750 quattro all-wheel-drive system. The main bone of contention: Is the Audi a luxury car - or just a really terrific all-season performer?

She: I'm going to argue that the A4 - even the version we tested with cloth seat upholstery - could give Lexus, Infiniti and other luxury brands some serious competition. To me, it's every bit as satisfying as... Read More