Model Details

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

4.3
Average based on 28 reviews

very good auto and a pleasant surprise

by from MT VIEW HAWAII on October 22, 2009

Fresh from Africa in 1979 to attend college. My first car was an American car. Then I got married to an American lady and she will not touch an American car with a 20 ft pole. So for 23 years of marriage, we drove, 3 Volkswagens, 2 Audis,a Volvo, Mercedes benz300sd, Fiat,2 Peugots and BMW. After a divorce I went back to an American car it was the Malibu LS from auto rental in Hawaii with 36,000 mile on it. The car has done very well. We drove on one of the 10 most dangerous road in the counrty, Saddle road in Big island of Hawaii, for 4 months we drove it 5 days a week doing 225 miles per day and now down to 300 miles per week, going from 80 plus degrees to at times 50 degree weather, thru volcanic vog, tropical rainfall, hot sun shines and very bumpy roads. This car is good, comfortable,reliable,good on expensive Hawaii gasoline and now we are about 90,000 miles with little problem. such as bad wheel cover that tends to loosing and jinggle with a little noise. Anti theft locked out twice and under wheel noise. But for the type of roads we traveled it has done well. and next year we are going for the 2007 model.

Remarkable Malibu

by from Texas on February 19, 2010

This is a truly remarkable car. I did not want to buy this car, but I needed a car and price was important. This one had only 9700 and change on it when I bought it, and it has almost 98000 now. The 2005's had a problem with the steering midshaft. The dealer replaced that for free at 38,000. The emergency brake cable snapped one day in a parking lot. That was a free repair, too. Other than that, tires, regular maintenance, and a tie rod end. And, a quirky problem with turn signal light bulb sockets that cropped up but was an easy fix. NOW THE GOOD STUFF. While this car is a bit dull to look at, its a blast to drive. POWERFUL V-6 gets a real 32-34 on the highway if you don't drive way fast. Just keep the tires properly inflated or the mileage drops, but only to around 28-30. And when you put the pedal down, it scoots. Mine has the sport shift automatic, with the gears controlled by a button at the driver's thumb. Boom, boom, boom through the gears. Smooth. And while some reviews have criticized the electric power steering, I have found it precise....this car is agile...far more than any other midsize I tried back when I bought it. I drive alot in my work and have really put this car through alot...snow, rain, fog, rough roads, and mile after mile it keeps on going. Once we got the early bugs ironed out it has been a lot of fun. The thing that does bug me a bit is that the hinges on the mirror covers on the sun visors both broke about 80-90 thousand miles. But, for the turn the key and go reliability and the POWER of that V-6 with great highway mileage, how can you go wrong. So, I can recommend this car...so long as you are willing to work out the bugs at the beginning, you'll have a blast.

Awesome car

by from Florida on December 8, 2010

The price i got for this car was really good. got for $4,200. i had it for 5 months and it hasnt let me down. Im glad i got this car.

Great Car of 2005

by from Southfield, MI on October 22, 2006

The 2005 Chevrolet Malibu proves to be a great family car, Both for women and men the car which started being reproduced in 1997 has had a major body change and re-shape in 2004. They introduced 3 Trim Levels Base, Mid Class LS , and First Class LT , Later to be called LS,LT, and LTZ in 2006/2007. The Malibu has a base model which I don't recommend becuz it lacks in features. As for the Higher Trim LS the vechicle comes equipped with beautiful and useful features such as adjustable pedels and cruise control. The LS has an available Remote Vechicle Start thats Standard on the LT and standard on LS if car comes with an Sunroof. As for me I opted for the High Class LT V6 Edition which is my favorite I highly recommend you get this car, it features a beautiful exterior with sporty rear spoiler, foglamps, 16" alloy wheels. The interior features are Leather/Ultralax Inserts, Adj Pedals, Remote Vehicle Start , Auto Climate Control, Onstar, Sunroof on 1SB, Home Garage System, Leather Steering wheel with Audio and Cruise controls ..... No matter the weather this car handles well Auto Tempature controls the cars climate and remote start allows easier and quicker getaway with tempature perfect .....Yes U should get this car.

One Of The Best I've Owned

by from Illahee, WA on October 1, 2009

I owned a 2005 Chevy Malibu LT and loved it. My LT had the 1SB Luxury Package: Sunroof, Auto Start, Chrome Wheels, XM Radio, 6 Disk Changer, Sunroof Auto Dimming Mirror w/On Star, Homelink, Chrome Wheels. With the 3500-V6 Engine this car had pep. When I stepped on it I had to hang onto the wheel as the rear end would want to take off on her own. This was definatly an almost luxury car without the price. Had very little upkeep costs besides the oil and other regular maintenance. Heated seats, auto-start, traction control and with the addition of studded snow tires I kept warm and on the road, despite the steep hills I traversed during winter.

Great small family car

by from Detroit, mi on December 12, 2012

It's great step up from the neon we had. Fits child seat comfortable. Driver seat goes back for plenty of leg room for a 6'5 person.

Great Car

by from on July 13, 2010

Where to start. These cars are great. The ride is so smooth. It handles smoothly. All of the features make the car what it is. It would be great for families, daily drivers, or any situation.

Fantastic

by from Ogden, Utah on January 28, 2010

I have never been a GM supporter, but this Malibu is by far one of the best vehicles I have ever owned in my 45 years of driving!!! It is reliable, hugely economical, comfortable and good to look at. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Stealthy Bargain

by from East Lansing, MI on January 31, 2009

As a car guy, I felt a bit goofy buying an ex-rental, plain black Malibu with a 4 cylinder and only cruise/locks/remote starter checked as options. But after driving it 130 miles a day for 3 years, I've been impressed with its build quality, economy (@ 35 mpg hwy. summer, 31 mpg winter) and overall competence. It's not a standout in any area, but is comfortable, quiet and lively enough that it is pleasant to live with on a daily basis. The grey seat fabric stains easily and I've had some minor hassles with faulty gas caps and a loose fuel line connection, but it has otherwise been as reliable as the sunrise and requires very little maintenance.

LOVE THIS CAR

by from Ohio on February 15, 2009

I purchased my Malibu brand new in the summer of 2005, and it is one of the best cars I have ever owned the body style is a little plain but the car makes up for it in pure performance. The 2.2L Ecoctech engine is a god send among rising gas prices I was getting about 34mpg on long trips, and that little motor did not back down when you asked it to pick up the pace it always had enough power on tap for merging on the freeway. I never had any problems with the car what so ever Zero, the only up keep it required was regular oil changes and that is it. The interior of the car is high quality and the seats are very comfortable, I also love the feature that allows you to set the petals exactly where you want them. I owned my Malibu for 4years, the only reason I traded it in was to get one of the new 2008 Malibu’s witch I just had to have the new body styles are so sweet. Get a Malibu with the 2.2L 4cyclinder and you can’t go wrong.