2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

4.4
Average based on 25 reviews

Most Reliable Truck Ever

by from Wisconsin on April 29, 2011

I bought my 2000 Sport Quad Dakota with 4.7L with 25k miles on it. It now has 215,000 miles on it and it has never left me stranded. I've never had any issues with it other than a sensor had to be replaced once. I've even use it to pull our 28ft travel trailer on long trips and it performs like a champ with the transmission always operating flawlessly. I can't say enough about this truck.

So Much Fun

by from on July 7, 2011

I own a 2000 Dakota R/T,I love the truck and it is so much fun to drive and great at car shows because you see so few of these. Great truck if you can find one. Remember Mopar or no car.

decent work truck

by from Harrisonburg VA on April 1, 2011

I typically use my Dakota pick for yard work. It seems to do well with it 4X4 option in snow and mud. It does not have the power that today's pickup truck offer but it definitely gets the job done.

Good basic mid-sized truck

by from Tucson, AZ on April 1, 2010

Never, never left me on the side of the road in ten years of ownership. Gas mileage so-so. The Club Cab design became less functional as my kids got bigger, but the 4 door Crew Cab was not introduced until the following year. But again, this truck ran like a top for me for basic transportation and light duty homeowner hauling.

Good Pick-up for the money

by from Reading, pa on November 30, 2010

I got my 2000 dakota in the spring of 2010. The only problem i had on this 90000 mile truck is that the guage cluster went, besides that it is a good truck with plenty of power for my specific needs

street legal race truck

by from on November 24, 2012

4.7l, manual 4wd xtra cab. nissan,ford, toyota, have nothing for this beast!! thank you dodge- AAAA+

'99 dakota was my first vehicle

by from on November 12, 2009

i had a '99 dakota as my first vehicle and drove alot of others, 5 stars all the way for 'em. theyre great little trucks, an i know from takin mine off road they can take a beatin

Still in honeymoon phase?

by from Seattle on November 12, 2009

I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and have no major complaints other than the poor fuel economy? I get 17 mpg based off of 60% city & 40% hwy driving. I was driving a 2008 Yaris before my wife took it over, so it is great to have all that extra legroom now but perhaps I am still used to getting that 39mpg from the Yaris so the Dakota mpg may seem low. The truck has sharp styling and looks great. It is powerful and having 4WD is easy to shift into. I have the Club Cab, V6, 3.9L with 48,000 miles, bed liner, running boards & matching canopy.

Nice Truck

by from NY on January 16, 2013

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext Cab 4x4 3.9L. Do yourself a favor and buy the car privately. Payed half the price the dealers wanted, no hassle one owner service records, no accidents. Use Clist or another avenue. The truck is great size. The ext cab for short distances if fine for kids, not so much for adults. 6.5' bed, that extra foot makes a difference. Ride is more car like then truck and is fantastic in the snow or climbing rough terrain with 4x4. Looks are second to none. and really the only midsize pickup in the 1997-2002 year range. Things to watch out for is rusty brake lines, intemediate steering shaft, and generally bad rust. This truck just purchased 12/12 137k has almost no rust.None on the body. Lastly the 3.9l is a little underpowered, but if you can find one with the lsd and 3.92 like this truck you can tow just about anything..Just a little slower all around daily driving and towing. Not a show stopper.

Great compact truck with the power and speedINeed

by from Virginia on April 16, 2012

Great truck, nice lines and the interior is very stylish.. My dakota is an RT with the 5.9 Litre V8 Magnum engine. It gets great reviews and I haven't had any problems but the L Front caliper seized up because it wasn't driven daily..I put a lowered, in bed truck tool box and drive it everyday for work.. Awesome, and beautiful. I have got nothing but good compliments... Gas milage sucks but the handling and looks and sound and power make up for it.... Enjoy your new Dodge Dakota!!! - A from Virginia...