2003 Dodge Dakota consumer reviews

side view of 2003 Dakota Dodge
Explore the 2003 Dodge Dakota
Shop the 2003 Dodge Dakota
3.4

Reliable, but lacks fuel efficiency

Overall, it is a trustworthy, reliable vehicle. However, it only gets 14 MPG lifetime average so far. And that is after I have driven it for a few thousand miles of traveling via interstate driving.

4.0

good for first 10 years

great truck for first 10 years only few minor problems' 2 new starters, several blower motor resistor. after year 9 bed starting rusting out above back wheels. I have the 4.7 engine and I would say I have used it hard. year 11 involved me spending 2000 dollars to pass inspection. new ball joints, wheel hub, rotors where pitted, and leaf spring shackles rusted off.. hopefully good for another 10 years. or as I say from the dealer lot to the junk yard.

Most Reliable car ive owned

I would recommed this type of vehicle to a friend or family , i have been happy with it . I want to find another one very soon .

just keeps running

bought this truck in 2006 with 50,000 miles. It still runs like new without any repairs up to now. (Sorry, just installed new windshield wipers last week.)

4.4

Sweet Truck

Bought new in 2003 Reg. cab 4X4 SXT 5sp. locking diff. 3.92, this truck can work, I was delivering bottled water with it for 8mos. I could get 40! 5 gal bot. in the bed, at 4.8lbs@gal=1920lbs!! yes I was overloaded, every day!, sometims twice a day! had plenty of power, suspension never bottomed out, not like the bosses 2004 Tundra (broken springs). I made a 950 mile round trip m/t going with 10 knox-down picnic tables in back 950lbs., towing a trailer with another 35 tables 3,987lbs. at the Cat scale: 9,210lbs. total gross combined weight! thru the mountains on rt. 80 in Penn. to Mass. on the trip out emty got 21mpg on the hyw. on the trip back 14.5! not bad. I was going to buy a new one, but the screwd-up the style of the newer truck. But I think this truck will last a long time, 63,000 so far I did have to replace the ball joints, so what, and the water pump went out at 49,000, covered under warranty, I only give it a 4 star on comfort because it is only a reg. cab. GOOD TRUCK.

3.9

Dakota Quad Cab

Very reliable truck so far. I bought this truck used 3 months ago with 90,000 miles on it because I wanted a truck for once and was looking for something with an exteded cab. Came across a great looking quad cab and bought it for a reasonable price. Truck has a V6 in it and although I thought about buying a V8, thought it would be a little better on fuel than the V8. All in all, not a bad truck. Lots of room in the quad cab for passengers and the bed is just a tad under 5ft 6 inches so it's not a full 6 Ft bed... Not bad though for weekend projects or medium duty work or towing. Truck drives very well, was well maintained by the previous owners and I've had no issues with it since owning it. Fuel milage is consistent at about 19 MPG combined. Best I have seen was about 22.5 on the Highway and worst was about 17. Not too bad for a truck and a 3.9 Liter V6 moving it. I've been told the 4.7 Liter is about the same in milage but has more power for towing. Something to think about...Since I don't really tow anything I took the 3.9 liter and am happy with it. Drove the truck to South Carolina from Ohio and was pleased with the overall comfort and ride. Gas could be a bit better on the long haul but again, it's a truck...

the best

i have the 03 Dodge Dakota Stamped with the 5.7 liter V-8, i love my truck i cant find any stampedes on the road though, so i think they are hard to come by. but this is and awesome truck!!!

one problem

This is not your truck if you want excellent gas mileage. It is a great truck if you dont need a full size all the time, but still want enough power to tow a camper, haul firewood to a campsite, or any other truckly things. If you want good mpg's get a inline 4 motor from ford or chevy and call your buddy with a real truck to help you when the work needs done.

2.6

It's an ok truck

the 3.9 has very poor pick up when you floor the gas pedal. When I drove it through a hilly mountain area could't get over 60 mph on the moderate inclines to save my life. This was in 2003 so the truck was brand new.

3.7

reliable mini truck

We have a 2 WD 4.7l V8 with about 145kmls. It's a reliable truck with up to 17 mls / gal. V8 is powerful and fun to drive. Truck is practical and comfy even on longer rides. We had some minor defects like broken power locking, cabin has a water leak, etc. but no major issues. Divetrain is good and has no oil leaks at all.