2003 Dodge Dakota consumer reviews

$16,845–$22,790 MSRP range
side view of 2003 Dakota Dodge
Explore the 2003 Dodge Dakota
Shop the 2003 Dodge Dakota

Great sized pick up for hauling everyday items.

After owning other small trucks we have had 2 Dakotas. The size not too small and not too big. Comfortable and good ride. Dependability is always a must and this has been excellent.

4.1

Dodge Dacota

all around a good vehicle comfortable good for work however it did take a little upkeep it had a recall on the catalytic converter and I spent money on radiator water pump hoses and harmonic balancer

Very Reliable 4WD Vehicle

Overall this vehicles a good buy for $ spent ... as trucks of this type go its not as large nor as high as other full-size trucks which has its advantages in manuverability and gives a wider stance in appearance - interior rooms perfect with comfortable seating, gauges and controls in the right areas, plus the added rear seating and storage (club cab) without the added 2 xtra doors - electric switch controlled shift-on-the-fly 4WD is a great feature - having the 6 cyl equipped with the 5-sp w/OD manual trans definitely helps in the fuel range dept. and still has enough performance to haul a heavy payload without the added expense of higher registration and insurance woes in comparison to larger full-size pickups. Its appearance, performance, and reliabily are a step beyond those offered by other manufacturers in the mid-size class for its era. I've owned one for 6 yrs. and thou only 25k miles were added it was a 'thumbs up' all thru its journey in every aspect - only negative I would ppost is that of the sheetmetal being prone to rust - BUT - what truck doesn't if its driven in the northern states.

4.4

Can't complain, great truck.

I HAD to buy a vehicle in Nov of 2003 because mine had crapped out after 198k miles. I bought my Dakota 2 days later for less than $15k. 15 model years, 181k miles, original clutch later, you can't beat that. Yeah the mileage sucks if you aren't highway but I'll take that tradeoff. Paint good, interior good, 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of brakes, etc...

3.3

Good midsize truck

It's nice safe truck for commuting for school especially in the winter. Decent gas mileage for a truck.

3.4

SXT, 3.9l V6, 5spd manual, regular cab

I found myself buying my first truck and it was between this and a regular cab Ranger with the 2.5 four cylinder. Had an insanely low (for a 14 year old truck) 65k on it when I bought it and almost a year later I am at 81k. I have had a trouble-free ownership so far, other than replacing the drive belt and servicing the rear diff when I first bought it. Pros would be how well this truck has aged (I've had a few compliments on it!), the consistent 20-22mpg I get with my manual transmission and how surprisingly comfortable it is on long journeys. A couple of downsides to consider before buying: like many others with the 3.9, there is a noticeable lack of power in hilly or mountainous terrain that gets me longing for a V8. Furthermore, while it's nice to have a no frills truck, there is a lack of comfort features for 2003 (no power windows/locks/seats/keyless entry) which took some getting used to. Because my Dakota has low miles and a manual, I plan on keeping it for quite some time.

3.7

Great truck that has never given me trouble.

This is a great, no-frills, reliable truck. It's certainly not the greatest on amenities, but it safely and reliably gets you from point A to B.

4.0

Great first truck

Drove this truck for 8 years and loved it Only replaced it because I had to get one to fit all 6 of the family in

2.6

Unreliable

This was definitely not a truck I would ever buy again. Not smooth, not as powerful as I had wanted, and most importantly it broke down constantly. Not a reliable truck.

3.0

Gets the job done

Works great for hauling small loads, such as four wheelers and dirt bikes. Great for winter when there is snow on the roads also.