2003 Crown Victoria

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

2003 P71 - Favorite, most reliable car I've owned

by Fuzzywinks from Saint Louis, MO on April 2, 2013

I picked up my Crown Vic from a police auction about 8 months ago for $4,000 and have already taken the millage from 102k to 140k between work and travel. This car is my daily driver and I absolutely love it. As a highway patrol car mine was seriously abused in a previous life but this thing is tough and is still in great condition, all things considered. I took an 8,000 mile trip around the country with only minor issues. An aging battery finally gave out and the idler pulley locked up and needed replaced, but otherwise the trip was extremely comfortable and enjoyable in this car. I've never had another car you can drive all day long and walk away with your back in the same condition as when you first started the engine. I average about 22 mpg combined driving and 26 mpg on long trips with the cruise set at 80'ish. The Crown Vic can really get up and go for such a big heavy car. It's not the fastest car on the road but it's more than adequate for just about any situation but the drag strip. The police version will top out at about 132 mph and will comfortably cruise well over 100 if you let it. It's very easy to work on yourself. There is plenty of space around everything under the hood to reach whatever you need to. I'm not a mechanic by any means and I have been able to replace spark plugs, a thermostat, the lighting control module, the belt, the brake pads and rotors, the headlights (I can't stand old hazy headlights, had to get new shiny ones), and upgraded to a K&N air intake all myself with no trouble at all and no need for special tools. This is not a car you need to take to the dealer for every little thing that goes wrong. Parts are cheap and plentiful given how many of these things are on the road. The suspension is very smooth and comfortable under ordinary driving and tough enough to really bite in to corners when handling aggressively. The police version is very slightly rougher than the civilian model and is extremely tough. On a lift the brakes and springs look like those on a truck. The car looks slightly outdated inside and out but personally I find it classy looking. There's a reason Ford produced a car with very few changes from 98-2011. And there's a reason this car has been a staple of police and taxi fleets across the country for years. They found a nice balance of performance and longevity with the Crown Victoria but alas the car has been replaced by smaller v6's that do the work of yesterday's v8 and more. To me there's just something about a big American V8 that just can't be replaced. I would recommend the Crown Victoria to anyone. They are very tough, reliable, comfortable cars with easy and cheap repairs and great mpg's for such a big V8 sedan. The police version is stripped down on the interior compared to the LX or even the base but is still a wonderful car. If you do find yourself looking at a police model many of them are still great cars with plenty of life left, but be picky and be aware they have probably been thoroughly abused but probably also well maintained.

Excellent Performance

by New to CVic from Pelzer, SC on June 19, 2010

I bought this car used in May of 2010. Response time in transmission is amazing. No hesitation at all, step on the gas and you're gone. Pretty looking car and very comfortable. The only things I don't like about it is the head rest makes it difficult to see backing up look out rear window. Not a lot of leg room in the back either. Other than that I love car.

very reliable

by car lover from on July 28, 2009

I have had few of them &iloved every one of them,they strong,tough,reliable&durable.They get five stars crash testing.one of the good features is the huge trunk space.

Nice and easy stressless commuter car

by McReddy from Denver, CO on August 5, 2010

I recently bought a low mileage Ford Crown Victoria for daily commute. I had never really considered this as a primary car or a car to take my family around in. I always knew this was a huge car. I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice and easy it is to drive for every day commuting. The factory Stereo was very basic and I upgraded that to a much fancier bluetooth enabled one. The factory speakers have done well so far. I am not too impressed by the acceleration. I feel there are many faster and more nimble cars out on the market. Just the loud (high revving) when I floor the gas pedal, makes me feel like I am punishing the car by trying to accelerate quickly. I have been pleasantly surprised that I get 21 mpg or better in combined City / Highway driving. I do not know how many other large 8 cylinder cars can do this or better. All in all it is a nice, easy to drive commuter car and I like it.

A great buy and reliable for the money.

by investmentman46783 from Boulder, Colorado on January 16, 2008

My 2003 Crown Victoria is absolutely a great all around car. The seats are comfortable and the ride is very good. I can usually get 26-28mpg on the highway. Its great for long trips. I have had no problems with it so far and I've owned it since it was new. The price was very fair as most comparable cars were priced higher.

I love my vic

by that Ford guy from UT on January 26, 2009

Reliable as they come, averaging 25 mpg around town (granted a small town) and upwards of 30 mpg on the interstate if I obey the speed limits. This car is a pleasure to drive, my only complaint is it was not available in a station wagon.

best since my 1967 Bonneville Pontiac

by the old baron from chicago suburban area on August 14, 2007

High way milage averages <28mpg. Got 32 mpg on one trip from MN. Ride and styling is as good as my buddies '06 Caddy but at half of his original list price. No mechanical problems. Bought it used w/29000 miles. Just got new tires. Have always had mfgrs oil change and suggested checkups. present milage is >67000 . GOOD CAR

Most reliable car I've owned

by Harris on November 30, 2017

My 2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor by far is the best value for my money. It is solidly built, and smooth. The ride handles the road because it is a real police car. It's just the right size, has very comfortable seats if you're looking for a crossover in this segment, put this one on your short list to test drive.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Cjgunn7 from Knoxville tn on July 13, 2017

It is all I was looking for in a vehicle. My first time purchasing a vehicle ever. I have been treated very very good

bullet proof

by driver4140 on August 10, 2017

excellent full size car. they are extremely reliable. very good gas milage and power for a full size car. they do very well in a crash too.

1 2