2012 Terrain

2012 GMC Terrain

2012 GMC Terrain

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 GMC Terrain?

forgot how much I used to love GM

by Alo from Northern Ohio on Sun Jun 01 2014

Its been at least 20 years since I owned GM. Used to be a big Pontiac guy. Got away from them but just bought a used 2012 Terrain. I had a lot of second thoughts. Why does anyone get ride of a 2012 with 20000 miles on it? GM offered extra 12000 miles and a year bumper to bumper so I thought I would give it a try. Boy am I glad I did. Love the ride. Quiet and smooth. Great looker and hates gas stations. 28 mpg combined as high as 31 on the road. Only put 5 thousand on it so far but I do enjoy it. Can't say enough about it. Only draw back can't get clubs in back without putting seat down.

Love this car!

by PhilliesGirl from on Sat Apr 15 2017

I have only had this vehicle for 3 weeks but so far I love it! It was between this and a 2012 Equinox. The terrain drove much smoother than the Equinox. The cloth heated seats also sold me. The seats were so comfortable not as stiff as the leather in my 2003 Jeep Liberty. They were so awesome. I may have paid a little too much over the KBB value but I do love this vehicle.

Nice vehicle

by Nick from Elko, Minnesota on Fri Jan 10 2014

Its a very nice vehicle. Rides excellent. We bought a SLT2 so it has a bunch of extras. We purchase the 2.4 L 4 cylinder. It lacks power. It gets decent gas mileage, which is what we wanted, but I think if I was doing it again, I would purchase the V6. But overall an excellent vehicle.

poor engine performance with oil consumption

by casey jones from st joseph mo on Wed Sep 18 2019

i liked the looks of the car, along with its special features, when i bought it 6 mths ago, used. i was not aware of the engine problems when i bought it. i did not become aware of the number 1 complaint regarding the Terrain's engine oil loss until app 3 mths ago when i noticed a sound from the engine and upon checking the oil, i had nothing on the dipstick. this has happened 3 times more since then and with only 86,00 miles on the car i am extremely disappointed with the engine. not crazy about the mpg either but more so with the mystery of the missing oil. unless GMC is prepared to make this engine right and replace it, then, no, i will not recommend any GMC purchase. GMC should have the decency to replace an engine that is obviously of poor quality and has been since the day they produced it. a mechanic told me that GMC made a poor cast of the engine and this is why the engine is of poor quality, thus, unreasonable oil loss. with so many complaints registered regarding this same problem why won't GMC honor their works.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great SUV

by CRaney from Bearden, AR on Wed Nov 22 2017

I love my GMC Terrain. It has plenty of room and runs great. I bought it new in 2012 and it has 165,000 miles on it and it is still running great. I have replaced the basic wear and tear but never had any major issues with this car. It gets great gas mileage. It is a very affordable SUV.

Terrain

by gene from Ohio on Thu May 02 2013

I have had this SUV for two months, like the ride, like the SUV itself. Like the style of the SUV, outside and inside. Was not sold on the look at first. But the mileage is what I was after. So far a good SUV. Navigation needs work. Also for the money both front seats need to be power. This would make this SUV better. Engine and drive train feels great. I research this SUV for about for months before, I bought this Terrain. Used with 4000 miles on it. Great SuvOhio

Excellent choice

by Cathy from OH on Mon Apr 15 2013

Love my GMC Terrain. Researched this vehicle and finally took the leap and got a used one 2012 with only 8200 miles. Like a brand new car. I wish the steering wheel would go higher as I am tall. Or that my seat would be a little lower. But I love the display for the radio, XM Radio, Bluetooth. It is all touch screen and that was one of the primary things that I loved about the car. I am very pleased.

Motors are Junk

by NotaFan from Reed City, MI on Thu Mar 14 2019

The Terrain is a very comfortable ride. It does not have a lot of power but I do not need power. I was driving 50+ miles one way to work and the gas mileage was good. However, I have had this vehicle for just under two years and am on my third motor. The motor started burning oil and if even a quart low would make a knocking sound and then one day just blew. The motors are junk and I am currently looking for a new vehicle that is much more dependent. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone!

Does not recommend this car!!

Great vehicle with good gas mileage.

by Tough person to please from Clarkston, MI on Thu Dec 04 2014

I drove a smaller vehicle for the gas mileage for about 5 years. It was a great car, but I was ready to get something bigger but didn't want to give up all the gas mileage. This car had all the bells and whistles that I wanted in a larger vehicle but gave up very little in the gas mileage.

Love this car

by Love my new car from Columbus Ohio on Mon Aug 06 2012

Despite many of the reviews this car is awesome. It is extremly comfortable, modern, and gets great gas millage. I have yet to get 32 MPG on an average but goes get very close when on the highway at a moderate speed.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

Our Take on the 2012 GMC Terrain

Rarely do I put more than 1,000 miles on a test car, but that’s what happened when the 2012 GMC Terrain came into my hands.

The verdict? Any vehicle that can keep me as happy, as free of back pain and as entertained as the 2012 GMC Terrain did for a thousand miles should win an award.

Actually, the Terrain’s twin, the Chevy Equinox, did win Cars.com’s $29,000 Shootout. My GMC tester cost significantly more than that, but still delivered a lot of value.

What’s New
Launched in 2010, the Terrain offers just a few updates for 2012, but what’s striking is that the crossover didn’t need much fixing. (See the two model years compared here.) The Terrain comes relatively... Read More