2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

Have You Driven the 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid?

Great Plug-In, Comes As Advertised

by JohnnyFiveAlive from Littleton, MA on Sun Sep 01 2019

The plug-in hybrid is a great car for a 45-50 mile round trip commute. I have a free plug at work, which makes it a great deal and means that I can run errands, etc. without using gasoline. The car runs fantastic and delivers on the mileage. The only problem is getting in early enough to take a plug-in spot away from the Teslas. Given the tax credit and availability to use gasoline too to extend the range at a good MPG this can work for an active family. If you work it right you can only need to fill up less than once per month.

Finally a Plug in Hybrid that’s a real sized car

by KentuckyKen from Lexington, KY on Tue Mar 13 2018

Love this car. Quietest car I’ve ever driven (even in hybrid mode with the gas engine running), smooth ride with no body lean in cornering, plush/ comfortable interior, very roomy with room for 3 adults in rear seat ( unlike he Volt!), good sized trunk (15.5 cf), and all the safety/driver’s assist features of Honda Sensing. What more could you ask for when all that comes with 110MPG-e and 44 city/40 hwy/42 combined MPG. In size it’s just slightly smaller than an Accord but larger than a Civic. With the battery below the floor, the resulting low center of gravity make this car corner with no body roll at all. Best of all Honda really got it right with the regenerative braking. It has an absolutely seamless transition between hydraulic braking and regenerative braking. Ditto for the transition from electric motor to gas engine for when you run out of battery or go into HV mode. You can’t even tell by driveabiliry or by sound. You have to check the energy display to know. It’s that quiet and that automatic. I’m getting 50 miles to a charge right now but you can expect the battery range to decrease a little with summer usage of A/C and down to 40 when using heat/defrost/seat heater a lot in winter in my area. I’ve gone 500 miles with out using a drop of gas since all driving so far is local. I just plug it in every night. But with this being a hybrid you have no range anxiety because you can go another 280 miles on the 7 gal tank after the battery is depleted. It’s like the best of both worlds. 110 mpg in town and 42 mpg on trips out of town for as long and as far as you want to drive. Even better mpg on trips if you charge when you stop for food or lodging. Since it’s a Honda, I’m expecting bullet proof reliability but time will tell. I am totally satisfied with this purchase. It saves me a boat load of money ($7,500 Fed tax credit, 110 mpg, reduced maintenance costs) and is also gentle on the environment. This car is nearly perfect.

Very Quiet, Comfortable, with a bit of Luxury

by emtonsti from upstate, NY on Sat Dec 30 2017

Very easy and fun to drive. Elegant throughout. Charges very quickly (2+ hours), has more than adequate torque and power, and runs smooth and quiet. Warms very quickly in Winter, no steering wheel heat, but you don't need it. Display screen virtual volume slider is a pain, use the volume control on the steering wheel. Regen selector paddles are fun to play with, but you don't have to use them, blended braking (regen to friction brakes) is superbly done. The optional back up sensors require major disassembly and are not integrated into the infotainment system (no indications or warnings on the back up view, just a beep from a beeper in the back). Honda LINK is last gen, no Honda LINK button like the new 2018 Accord has, also, a cool right hand side mirror camera, but no 2018 Accord features like blind side warnings or integrated parking sensors. Has find my car when connected (WiFi or Bluethooth, but no cell), so no remote unlock or remove find after theft. Many minor gripes, but overall, a great buy and a wonderful car.

Heat and AC can affect electric range

by Flphotoguy from Tampa, Florida on Fri Mar 16 2018

I have owned my Clarity base model for a week and I am pleased so far. On the day after I bought it I made a 40 mile trip to the dealer in all electric mode. Three days later, on a cold morning with the heat on, my range was limited to 30 miles before the battery was at zero charge. On the ride home I selected the HV Charge mode and was back at 50% charge after the half hour ride home. On Wednesday I took two friends out to dinner and both found the car to be comfortable with enough leg room in the front and back. I selected the base model because I have navigation on my iPhone and it works great in the car with CarPlay. Navigation, Pandora and Amazon Music all work great. The included Level one charger works great but takes 12 hours to charge the car. I bought a Level two charger and it will top off the battery in four hours. It was expensive to install a 220 outlet in my garage but worth it. Today, I made a 43 mile trip in electric mode only. The safety features are excellent with adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist. The car practically drives itself. I hope to keep this car for a long time and make my trips to the gas station very infrequent.

One of the best cars I have owned... so far!

by Geoff from Wilmington, De on Sat Sep 29 2018

I am a car guy. I drive a 69 mustang that I built. My perspective is from someone who has owned a LOT of cars over the years. Muscle cars, sports cars, and land yachts. I have owned the Clarity touring edition for 3 months now and as time goes by the car really grows on you. For anyone following the electric car craze, its evolution in motion. This car is part of a fast moving phase. But in the moment this car is just a giggle to me and I mean it in a good way. The electric car is here only because consumers demanded it. Corporations dont want you to have it because it upsets their method of extracting money from you. Think of the money you need to spend on maintenance in a year or gas. An electric car has far less moving parts to be replaced. They will fight this as long as they can until they can figure out how to profit from the new technology coming in. Enough of my rambling and on to my experience with Honda Clarity PHEV. I just installed a 22v charger. It charges in 2.5 hours from empty and will go 44 miles on a charge. Every writeup talks about the whining engine, when it kicks in and how much noise it makes. The day I drove the car home it had a dead battery. I could not believe how quiet the car was. This is the 3rd Honda I have owned with a CVT transmission. If you understand the mechanics, its a marvel to be able to take a small engine and maximize its horsepower by producing the ultimate torque at its highest RPM. This is CVT and its not for everyone. I think people forget what came before it and only focus on the negative. I see it as enjoying the marvel of the technology. This is a step in the evolution forward. You want to hear noisy or rough ride or uncomfortable? Take a ride with me in a 69 mustang. That will slap you into reality. If I wanted an ultra quiet and comfy car that floats me down a highway I would have bought another suburban Along with its 14 mpg mileage. I got this primarily because im tired of dropping 260.00 a month on fuel for my wifes BMW X5. She is now averaging 199 empg. She drives to work 36 miles round trip, comes home, puts the car on charge and does it again tomorrow. In 3 months we have put exactly $30.00 worth of gas in it. This is why I giggle. Oh and did i mention I will get 7500.00 back from Federal taxes and got a $1500.00 check back from the state of Delaware? Ya Im VERY happy with this purchase and would do it again in a minute. I encourage you to take a look at the Clarity. Forget the sniveling you hear from other write ups. This car will not dissapoint.

New Owner and Love It

by CAdriver from Palo Alto, CA on Sun Jan 21 2018

This car is comfortable and has lots of room. Front passenger leg room is ample even with a car seat installed behind it. Very comfortable seats in front and in back. Headroom in the back for taller passengers is good as well. Seamless transition between EV and gas engine. The 47 mile EV range seems pretty accurate so far. Large trunk for better covered storage than a Prius prime. Smooth, quiet ride. My only wish is that you could get the beige interior with the gray model.

Second most fun car I've owned.

by rondahl from Beaumont, CA. on Wed Jul 25 2018

My first most fun car was a 1971 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 ci engine. I'm a techie so this car is a lot of fun to play with. It has numerous different drive modes and they all make the car behave differently. In ECON mode it has the smoothest drivetrain of any car that I have ever driven. While driving in solely electric power it is extremely quiet except for the slight road noise that is typical of many Honda's. When in SPORT mode , this car is fast. I don't care what the so called experts say, and I know it is subjective, but in my opinion this car will definitely get up and go. It is very close to my Mercedes V-6. I got a laugh when Consumer's Reports knocked the handling saying that it leaned too much in the corners. That, in my opinion, is a complete falsehood. I've driven this car on many curvy mountain roads and it handles like a slot car with little or no lean at all. I have driven quite fast on these roads and it has always taken all the curves with complete confidence. For such a heavy car (4000+ lbs), it handles with aplomb. The car rides smoothly (smoother than my Mercedes which has AMG sport wheels) and is really, really fun to drive. The interior exudes quality. All the materials are soft to the touch and fit together very tightly. No squeaks or rattles, except for the minor intermittent buzz that I was able to fix very easily myself. In order to keep the price within reach for the masses, Honda did leave out some amenities. To name a few: no sunroof, no lumbar seat adjustment, no heads-up display, older version of software, no USB ports in covered console compartment or rear seat area, no auto high beams, no rain sensing wipers. All these things are really insignificant, however, when I get in this car and start driving. I just love to drive this car. This car is rated at 47 miles on electric power only. I have never gotten less than 50 and usually average between 55 and 65 miles with the air conditioning going full blast (95 to 105 degrees this past week). I haven't tested the gas mileage yet but I'll bet that it's better than the 42 MPG set by the EPA. I've only had this car for 2 weeks and have less than 600 miles on it. Only time will tell if I feel the same way a year from now but right now I really love this car. Even the strange exterior styling is starting to grow on me. For anyone needing or just wanting a car that will go 50+ miles on a charge with a gas engine backup for longer trips, this car is a winner.

No Range Anxiety

by Dawna from Long Beach, CA on Mon Feb 05 2018

Always wanted a plug in, but range anxiety interfered. With electric + gas no fear. Car runs great - no lag or lack of power, with all of the benefits of great mileage. Great features on the Touring model - Honda Sensing features are great for safety, GPS maps now include symbols for food, ATM, gas, and EV charging stations. Things I don't like - no sun roof - what happened? the touring model needs a sun roof. And interior colors - not everyone likes black, only with white, red, green you can obtain beige interior. California is hot in the summer. Will be using the precondition option to cool down the car before entering.

Honda Clarity Delivers

by geofk from Port Huron, MI on Tue Mar 27 2018

Well designed. Comfortable. Quiet. I have owned the car for 10 days, and am currently achieving 185 mpg. Built in electronics are excellent especially safety features. Very roomy with large trunk since battery is under the chassis. Fold down rear seats add extra space. Charges overnight on standard electrical outlet.

Serious Computer Issue

by steve from Scottsdale, AZ on Fri Jun 15 2018

If this posted previously I apologize. I'm a first time poster. Has serious computer error issue. Purchased Touring model in January. Had the dealer install a rear collision warning system along with an active blind side monitoring system. These are two serious omissions of Honda in regards to safety issues. The car has now been in the dealership for a consecutive 14 days and one day prior to this for the same problem. On the dash screen up pops a continually rotating series of major component system failures including BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURE. The dealer tried resetting the computer but the error reappeared. The dealer states HONDA IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM BUT HAS NO FIX FOR IT YET. The danger represented is one doesn't know if any of these failures are real. Imagine if one is true, you ignore it and serious problems results. We were given a loaner car while our $40k Clairity PHEV sits idle in the dealership awaiting a fix . Contacted Honda corporate to find out what is going on & was told our case worker would call us back. There has been no call back. This was two days ago. Contacted the dealer, he was surprised Honda has not done this. He believes there may be a software solution by in another two weeks. Please consider not buying this car until Honda has a cure for this problem. My opinion is Honda should pull the car off the market until the problem is solved. How can any manufacturer sell a vehicle they know has a serious safety issue? Because I've not been informed of anything being done by Honda, I contacted the NHTSA and posting a warning as to what is happening with my car so others might not run into this same problem.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11