2018 Grand Cherokee

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee

#1 Most Popular SUV/Crossover
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Have you driven the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Long term review - 2.5 years of ownership

by Ross Anderson on Tue Jan 09 2018

We are currently leasing a 2015 Overland GC and wanted to share a bit about our experience with the vehicle. Right off the bat, this generation has the best exterior styling, in my opinion, in the 5-seat midsize SUV. No other manufacturer comes close. Well, maybe the BMW X6M, but that is a very polarizing design and also cost 200% more than the GC Overland. Our particular model is outfitted with the 3.6L V6 engine, HID headlights, navigation, a backup camera, parking sensors, leather seats, heat/cooled front bucket seats, remote start, and Air Ride suspension. Power from the engine is adequate for most driving conditions. Navigation was a bit annoying to use due to the way addresses had to be entered, but after an over-the-air update, it's now much more intuitive. Still not as good as, say, Hyundai's system. Newer maps do require additional payment and shipped via USB drive. So after more than 2 years of driving the GC, here are the pros and cons: PROS - Remote start on the key fob is very easy to use, and we use it almost daily. Whether it's in the July/August heat or the winter cold, this feature is a God-sent. Smartphone remote start systems from other manufacturers are no good, in my opinion. They often take too long or doesn't work all the time (ie. Hyundai, Kia, Lexus). - HID headlights are extremely bright. Although the industry is moving away from HID and towards LED, I still feel HIDs are much brighter. However, I did have the dial down the angle because the way my headlights were aimed from the factory was much too high. We were constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic. *Sorry* - Heat/cool seats are amazing. They heat up and cool down very fast. The multiway adjustment is also very abundant. - I am a big fan of the electronic shifter. It looks very cool and saves space by not having to move through the range of gears as a physical shifter does. However, on 2017 models the physical shifter is back due to several newsworthy accidents. - 4x4 is a beast, with new-ish tires. Jeep is legendary at this so that is expected. - Steering wheel controls are intuitive. The steering wheel itself is nice, too. - LED license plate lights came standard. Small details. - Air Ride suspension is amazing. At speeds over 50 mph, the suspension engages in Aero mode: front end lowers automatically to reduce drag. There are 2 more heights for offroad conditions and we do use them quite a bit. CONS - Air Rides. Not quite a Con, but unsure how the suspension will hold up after 5 or more years of constant adjusting. You cannot turn off the Aero mode. - Initial quality. At 3,000 miles, we had the right headlight unit replaced under warranty. The LED daytime running light faded to a dark blue and the warning on the dash popped up constantly stating that the light bulb is nearing its end of life. - I've had the navigation screen go dark for the entire duration of a commute. The only way to reset was to turn off and then on the vehicle again. - I've had the backup camera image stuck on the infotainment screen during the duration of the commute. The only way to reset was to turn off and then on the vehicle again. - I've had HAV system unresponsive (fan, temperature, etc.). The only way to reset was to turn off and then on the vehicle again. - Dealership experience is weak. No loaner. No amazing customer service. Don't expect a Lexus experience where movies, high-end coffee/expresso abundance, brand new loaners. And maybe you shouldn't: you are getting the same customer service for driving a GC Overland the same as that guy driving a Compass. Overall, we really like our GC Overland. We get compliments on it frequently and we enjoy taking it out on trips. But only as a lease.

Own it, but it is defective.

by Al from Los Angeles on Sat Jun 30 2018

Bought it recently and only drove it a few days before all the lights started flashing, beepers went off and it lost power. Somethings about the throttle. So, I can't drive it. We have to wait almost a month for the dealer to spare us a moment to look at the problem. It can't be driven, so it has to be towed to the dealer. Very sad because it is beautiful.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love my new Grand Cherokee!

by Kat from New Smyrna Beach on Mon Jul 09 2018

Love my new Grand Cherokee! Just got back from a trip and it was fantastic driving this SUV! Quiet and smooth! Plenty of leg room and storage..... love all the bells and whistles....enjoyed the CarPlay!

Almost perfect SUV

by BernieSF from Houston on Mon Mar 12 2018

If you have planned to buy a Grand Cherokee, the trailhawk is the model you might want to have. All the Jeep expertise on off-roading is used on this vehicle. Plenty of power, comfortable, but a little gas thirsty.

Love the Trailhawk

by wolfldy from Colorado Springs on Sat Jun 09 2018

Our sales person, Brandon Wilke, was incredibly patient. My husband and I were trying to decide between a Grand Cherokee Limited and a Trail hawk (which is what I wanted) and he patiently took the time to pull multiple vehicles out for us to test drive, sit in and try out. At no time did I feel like it was an inconvenience. At the time of the sale (which is when it counts) it was a quick and fair process. I used True Car through USAA. When I took delivery of the Jeep he took the time to go through everything but not be overwhelming. Since the sale I have asked him questions and he has been most helpful. I would recommend him and the dealership. The only thing I wish would happen is within 30 days of sale you received a 20% discount through the parts department as I would like to accessorize my new Grand Cherokee. I really love it; have waited two years to buy it.

Underrated Value

by SpecRacer50 from Lewes, DE on Tue Aug 21 2018

I replaced a Mercedes GL with the GC Trailhawk. In our family, we also have an Audi Q5 and Porsche Macan, and the GC is impressive. It may not have the interior quality of the German SUVs (materials) but as a daily driver and mover of people and things, it's stellar. The "guts" of the GC are from Mercedes (ML-class from the Daimler-Chrysler era), so suspension, drivetrain and brakes are very high quality and design. The interior doesn't match the Germans, but it's full of features and everything works. The most "American" part is under the hood. I opted for the 5.7L V8 and love it. Fast, but still capable of 25MPG on the highway. The Trailhawk has the air suspension which is a fun toy, and more sophisticated than the air suspension I had on my Mercedes GL.

Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned!

by 57Clan from Camas WA on Fri Jun 29 2018

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee is far and away the best vehicle we have ever owned. The Jeep looks great, handles amazing, and is full of tech. Really wish I would have traded the Pilot in much earlier. No second thoughts. Grand Cherokee hands down is a winner for us!

Awesome suv

by Tunk from Dallas Texas Baby! on Sun Sep 24 2017

Bought one in 2014 and every year I always upgrade to a Grand Cherokee soooo much comfort get ready for some stares love my suv! Get u 1

This SUV does everything and looks super cool too.

by Jeep fan from Champaign, IL on Wed Feb 21 2018

4x4 that can get through anything, rockin stereo, smooth ride, heated everything. What more could you ask for.

Favorite suv to drive EVER In LOVE

by Laxec15 on Sun Mar 18 2018

It’s amazing. Everything about it is well designed. I never thought I’d love a jeep more than my 2012 Liberty... this BLOWS it away. Would highly recommend this vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22