2015 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Reviews
Mercedes-Benz's seven-passenger GL-Class SUV has three rows of seats. It's offered with a turbocharged V-8, a turbo-diesel V-6 or a new twin-turbo gas V-6 engine. Competitors include the Cadillac Escalade, the Infiniti QX80 and the Lexus LX 570.
(Skip to details on the: GL63 AMG)
New for 2015
The GL450 gets a new 362-horsepower, twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 engine, and fuel-saving stop-start technology is available for all GL-Class models with a gas engine.
Below is a list of highlighted features and not an exhaustive list. Features are standard unless otherwise noted.
- Air suspension and available active stabilizer bars to mitigate body lean
- 19-inch alloy wheels; 20-inch and 21-inch wheels available
- Aluminum running boards
- 4.5-inch screen between the main gauges
- Knob-based Comand multimedia system
- Dash comes stitched in faux leather
- Available leather upholstery
- Power-folding third row and available power-tumbling second-row seats
Under the Hood
- GL350 Bluetec 4Matic has 240-hp, turbo-diesel V-6 engine
- GL450 4Matic uses a 362-hp, twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6
- GL550 4Matic employs a 429-hp, twin-turbo V-8
- Seven-speed automatic transmission
- Available off-road package includes skid plates, a two-stage transfer case, a locking center differential and air-suspension adjustments to render up to 12 inches of ground clearance
- Mercedes says the GL-Class can ford nearly 2 feet of water when equipped with the off-road package
- Required in every new car: front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system
- Front-seat side-impact airbags; rear side-impact airbags available
- Side curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Available collision warning and mitigation system
- Attention Assist to alert sleepy drivers
- Crosswind Stabilization keeps the GL in its lane during high winds
- Available blind spot warning system
- Available lane departure warning
- Available surround-view camera
- Available PreSafe system augments collision mitigation with automatic braking
The Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG packs big power into a big SUV. To be exact, there's 550 hp from the twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V-8 that sends power through a seven-speed automatic transmission.
Like the regular GL-Class, there's room for seven occupants in three rows, but the GL63 can take passengers to a top speed of 174 mph.
- All-wheel drive splits 60 percent of the power to the rear wheels and 40 percent to the front
- Active suspension with multiple Comfort or Sport driving modes
- Panoramic sunroof
- Widened fenders that fit 12-inch-wide tires on 21-inch wheels
- 360-degree camera system
- Power tailgate