2004 Grand Prix

$790 - $7,666  MSRP Range

4.3

Have You Driven the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix?

Fun to drive but needs some work

by Jennie from Jacksonville, Florida on Tue May 08 2012

I love the design of this car. I hate the pointy front of a pontiac but this was not pointy and very luxurious looking. The most common problem with this car is the hub assembly needs to be replaced. We ran into this problem around 80k miles. We talked to several mechanics who knew what the problem was immediately because they said this is a common problem with this car. Also around this time the back passenger window broke. While being rolled down it just stopped working and dropped. It apparently came off track. Shortly after the AC stopped working. It ended up being the blower motor and we bought that part and fixed it ourselves. Before we got to 100k we noticed that the car was needing oil around 2 1/2 months after an oil change. We kept asking if there was a leak they kept saying no but it continued to happen every 2 1/2 months. Around 110-120k the car started leaking water. It ended up being a crack and they had to replace the entire water pump system. We got that done at pontiac (because it comes with a life time warranty). It cost us well over eleven hundred. Less than a year later the fuel pump and some other things related to that had to be replaced (once again done by pontiac). At 150k mile the transmission went completely out. We still owed money on the car and so decided to get it rebuilt. It was going to cost about twenty eight hundred but we got lucky and got it done for fourteen hundred with a year warranty. While they were fixing that they noticed it had an oil pan leak. This car is VERY roomy and handles very well. We could fit a car seat and two adults (squished together) in the back. I don't know how the car was treated before we bought it but that may have been the cause to so many problems. We treated it very well and maintained it regularly. The car would get up and go when you wanted it to and drove very nicely. I loved the way the interior looked with the digital display and the way everything glowed red. It ended up getting totaled. A lady hit my husband going 60 mph without breaking. She hit the trunk. The damage did not get past the trunk by the force was so hard the ignition shot out of the dash but the airbags did not deploy. I understand in order for airbags to deploy you have to have a front impact crash but still if the impact is so severe the ignition shoots out then I think the air bags should deploy. This car was a headache and a delight. It took care of our needs for many years, I just wish it was more reliable. Like I said I'm not sure if that was due to a previous owner I never checked the carfax before I bought it.

PONTIAC DOES MEAN EXCITEMENT

by GP LOVER from UP NORTH MICHIGAN on Mon Dec 19 2011

Best car I have ever owned, great pickup, wonderful features, great feel driving it,style and sporty, great engine,good gas mileage. Can not believe GM does not make these great cars anymore, a travesty. Am going to sell soon as i just bought a low mileage GP 08, the last year the awesome car was made. Will be hard to part with but someone else will now drive an awesome car. As over 100 thous. and wanted a newer model so I can part with my GP that I love. GP are very,very dependable.

LOVE THIS CAR!

by TwoWheelTam from Ohio on Wed Jul 13 2011

I'm not a kid but I'm not ready to give up performance for comfort and this Pontiac Grand Prix GTP delivers all of that! The seats are incredibly comfortable and the performance of a vehicle with over 100k miles and 7 years on it is TOP NOTCH! I would recommend this car to anyone!

Couldn't ask for a better first car!

by Collin from Coldwater, MI on Fri Nov 07 2014

Dad drove the Pontie 5 days a week, 100 miles a day for 10 years for work. In thag time, it accumulated 260,000, it is now at 264. The body looks sharp and sporty without so much of the added price. The 200 HP pulls the 3,400 lb car at above-satisfying levels. The interior is extremely comfortable with its HUD and is unusually spacious for a mid-size. The trunk is also massive, by the way! This ol' girl has had it's PCM fettled (shift points have been moved to about 5,500 RPM), but is otherwise stock. No major repairs, with replacing the water pump being the biggest thing. The transmission does have a good amount of slips, but is in need of being flushed, and the PCM may contribute. However, the slips have been going on since 80k, and haven't gotten any worse. What an excellent car! Definitely one of the greatest vehicles ever offered by an American company.

My '04 GP will be my son's 1st car!

by FLSportsCarChick from Tampa Bay, FL on Mon Jan 27 2014

I bought The Beast, as we lovingly call my 2004 Grand Prix GT in 2005. We call her The Beast because we are celebrating 250k together! I bought the car with 28k on it so the miles are all my own. Being a long-time Mustang 5.0 driver (got 250k on that one before I sold her as well), I wasn't crazy about an automatic but I wanted a bigger, more luxury-type car that handles like a sports car. The GP does. For sure. I'm not great about maintenance, but I've always kept the oil changed. That's about it. All told, I've replaced a water pump, the elbow hose twice (now they make it in aluminum so never again!), and the alternator just last week. That was the first time. Everything is factory and some stuff has died...the regulators in both rear side windows, the CD player, power mirror on drivers side went kaput when I hit a pylon at the bank machine...the Beast doesn't like stop and go traffic, she starts shifting hard. Mechanic told me at 140k that I'd need a tranny within 10k...what does he know? My 16 year old son is helping me shop for a car so that he can assume the Beast and he is thrilled! He grew up with the car, knows all of its idiosyncrasies and what will need to be done cosmetically to make him happy. He learned to drive in my GP and respects the fact that, even now, 250,000 miles and almost ten years later, I'd drive it until it refused to move if he didn't need a car. Besides, I deserve a new one :-) Best vehicle I've ever owned and I trust this one with my son's livelihood. She starts every single day and will get him safely to a job, so he can help pay for his insurance!

A Young Parents Dream!

by Jerry the Racecar Driver from Moundridge, KS on Thu Jan 18 2007

The performance and fuel economy of these cars make it a great choice for young parents who don't want to be stuck driving the mini-vans. The car has alot of room for the kids and yourself, and the get up and go to throw them in the seats. I even keep up with the likes of Firebirds and Camaros. And if tour not worried about performance than be sold by the fuel economy, seating and trunk spaces. You can stuff anything in the trunk of these things. I would suggest you go find someone with the GT version and have them take you for a ride and you will see why I love the 04 Grand Prix.

awesome car for the money

by chevelle lover from IOWA on Mon Jun 04 2012

Bought this 2004 Grand Prix GTP for my daughter for a college car. It gets decent mileage(24 town-28 highway) as long as she keeps her foot out of the supercharger. Love the styling, handles very well with the 17's it has on it. My daughter loves the heads up display and the heated seats. The stereo is very good and don't even have to upgrade the speakers for her. All in all we both love the car. Been a Pontiac family since my DAD bought his first one in 1939-very sad to see them get deleted by GM.

Fantastic Car

by Raj1224 from Roseville, MI on Fri Aug 29 2008

I fell in love with it the first time I drove it. I have had for 4.5 years and plan on keeping it for my son when he drives in 3 years. Only complaint is the lack of cup holders in the rear seat.

The best car I have ever owned

by GPGAL from Kelowna, B.C, on Sun Nov 02 2014

The car was two years old when I bought it in 2006. I have spent nothing on upkeep other than oil changes, occasional servicing and a new battery ( after the dash screen warned that the battery was getting weak). Oh well, it was 10 years old. It has both a cd and tape player which is great for me. It handles well and has enough power to pass safely on the highway. It has been very reliable. I would recommend this car to anyone. I doubt if I could have found any other car that could have performed as well.

by PontiacGirl from Atlanta, GA on Thu Mar 27 2014

I am 17 years old and got the Pontiac Grand Prix as one of my first cars and im extremely impressed. I got it when i was still 16. Mine happened to be supercharged which i absolutely loved more than anything. i love racing. Recently i got rear ended and it got totaled but i miss that car more than anything. it only had about 115000 miles on it but i never had any problems with it ever. I might of complained about gas because of the way i drive and when i had extra weight once i put the sound system in. If you want a good car pontiacs are the way to go. I am now looking at getting the grand prix GXP with the V8 when i had a grand prix GTP V6 supercharged

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP gets a boost in power, looks

For my grandfather in the early 1950s, years of work for the Boston & Maine Railroad paid off with the answer to a lingering steel dream: a gleaming green Pontiac parked in the yard between his little house on a hill and his chicken coop, just up the rise from the Sears, Roebuck outhouse.

I look through Pontiac histories now and again, trying to determine just which Pontiac it was, and to the best of my recollection I figure it was a 1950 Chieftain Deluxe Catalina Coupe. Wrapped in heavy chrome, an Indian's head for a hood ornament, its center line was bisected by ribs of chrome that looked much like a racing stripe.

Memories of... Read More