2009 Subaru Outback

4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

I'm Hooked

by Don424 from Hillsborough, NJ on May 12, 2009

At my age of 55 I could have bought just about any vehicle I wanted. But to me, most cars are a waste of money unless you can get real value through longevity and reliability. I wanted something that would be safe, reliable, have a good ride, handle well and be good on gas. So I bought an 2009 Outback with 8000 miles on it. I look foward to getting into this car every day. It's really a great car. It's quite roomy, rides great, handles like some sports cars I've tested and the engine has good power. I get 24-25mpg around town and I've gotten 30mpg on the highway at 70 mph. This crossover wagon is extremely quiet inside even at high speeds. I've had lots of cars but so far, the Outback has impressed me(& my wife) the most.

New 2009 Outback lover

by Subaru fan from Indiana on July 26, 2009

My wife just purchased a 2009 Outback after driving a host of others, both "crossovers" and sedans. She has a half-hour drive morning and afternoon to her job, and really wanted the safety of the all-wheel drive and traction control. She loves to sit up high, but did not want to drive a large SUV again like the one she traded in. She loves the sporty feel and beautiful two-tone dark and light gray exterior. She also feels good on the 17" wheels. In fact, she sat in the garage last night and played her I-pod on the wonderful Subaru radio with the wireless hookup! (We just picked it up two days ago!) We both love this vehicle--I'd had a Forrester about 6 years ago. She keeps a vehicle a long time, and this is the vehicle for that decision. She is a very careful looker, and this won out over several others. This Outback--for us, anyway--is a great marriage of automobile and SUV. We are both approaching 60 and retirement if that helps!

by JHH from on April 11, 2011

I have hadSubarus for years, and when I decided to give my 2004 Outback to my daughter, my wife and I looked at the 2010 Outback body style , and it was just too big for our tasteds. The previous generation Outback was just right, so we bought a 2009 with 8000 miles for a great deal through Cars.com. We love it!!

Outstanding car!

by sanmusa from Fairbanks, AK on March 29, 2009

One of four Subarus I own, the Outback does not disappoint. "Limited Offroad Capability"? Yeah, if you compare it to a Jeep or another SUV (which the Outback isn't), but compare it to any other station wagon (which is is) and it shames the competition off road. With almost 9" of ground clearance there are very few roads the outback can't venture down. The seats are superb, I drove from Missouri to Alaska in five days in comfort. It has over 30,000 miles (less than a year old) and so far nothing has gone wrong. One of my Subarus has over 200,000 miles on its original engine and I am sure this Outback will reach that if taken care of. I would only trade my Outback for another one.

Outback ROCKS!

by tiger1 from Denver, CO on March 9, 2011

Am just in love with this vehicle. I have owned now for near a year and love the way it drives in snow while still getting incredible gas mileage for what it is.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

by Noanker from Noank, CT on November 26, 2010

Bought my 4th Subaru a few months back - get sale - no pressure. The car was a dealer loaner, so it was well broken in, very low milage - essentially just like new. The car has done great so far, and looks to be just as well performing as my 2006 Outback has been! Only down checks is the inside comfort - it's overall just fine, but could use a little more room in the drivers seat if you are over 6 foot tall.

Go places!

by tamaman7777 from Arkansas on July 15, 2009

We crunched all the criteria. We were looking for the safest car. We wanted all wheel drive. We needed a car that could carry lots of stuff from the home store. It had to be stylish and perform well. And most of all we wanted a car that would haul our kayaks. All roads lead to a Forester. After driving both we chose the Outback. We live in Hot Springs Arkansas. There isn't a reputable dealer close to us so we had to drive to Fayeteville. So if you are a looking for a AWD safe car you really can't go wrong with any of the Subaru line.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best all around car I have driven

by Bigjeep from PA on January 23, 2009

This is my 7th subaru I have owned and the best! The 3.0 has the best ride and less road noise then the 2.5 subaru. I live in the mountains and have no trouble with the many hills I have to drive alone with the snow and ice. I'll let someone else drive the Hybrids and electric plug ins! LOL

Great car

by Subarumike from Waterbury, ct on February 16, 2012

I love the turbo XT Outback. Plenty of power, room and features. And I like the confidence that AWD gives in bad weather. The only issueis the gas mileage. It is OK for an SUV. But I bought this because I don't like SUV's and I was hoping for a little better mileage than 21-22 mpg on the highway. Of course, that is usually at about 80 mph.

New to me 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT LTD

by Wyiauta from Texas on January 23, 2012

Found the car at a Subaru Dealership in AZ with only 16K on the ODO. It was exactly what I was looking for. After about six weeks and about 2500 miles I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks, Cars.com.

1 2 3 4