2009 Subaru Outback

2009 Subaru Outback

Have you driven the 2009 Subaru Outback?

Excellent vehicle

by Sscerbo from Toms River nj on August 15, 2017

Overall a great car! Got it about a month ago and to date I have no complaints. Looks great inside and out, very roomy, reliable, fairly good on gas. I get anywhere from 22 to 28 mpg. Have about 120 milesroundtrip daily to and from work. No issues at all and it doesn't seem as if I'll have any. I believe I will always have atleast one Subaru in my driveway! Overall satisfied customer.

Great Family Car

by theroys88 from Midlothian, VA on December 13, 2012

Recently bought an 09 Outback with 33k miles. It was an off lease. Great drive, fits all of our stuff and our high school senior thinks its cool. The safety features give us comfort when he is out driving by himself. Will have to update our review after we have owned it longer. But as of now, we are thrilled with our Outback!

BEST FOUR CYLINDER CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. VERY QUIET

by Subie Fan from Las Vegas, NV on August 12, 2017

My 2009 Outback Limited Edition model is everything I need... and more. Other than a few minor oil leaks that are not uncommon on the Boxer engine - I love this car! The utility is great, with lots of interior space to throw my skies and gear into for fast trips up to the mountains. The Harmon Kardon stereo is fantastic, delivering crisp highs and lows. The low notes, i.e. bass, is enhanced by the powerful sub-woofer, located in the cargo area. I feel very secure at highway speeds and visibility is excellent. I burn premium fuel, by choice. I plan on keeping this car for the long hall and increase engine life, plus added performance and increased gas mileage are benefits to burning premium fuel. I just put four new Yokohama Tires on it and my gas mileage increased. Getting close to 25 MPG combined highway and city. I have 140,000 miles on it and feel confident in getting another 140,000 out of it. Paying for a repair/maintenance once in a while, sure beats a $500 - $600 car payment every month. Also, I prefer the sleek lines on the pre-2010 Outbacks vs. the new body style, with the exception of the Touring Model. The Touring Model Out back will be my next car.

Drove and handled nicely. Clean lines in & out.

by Dave from Black Mountain on September 6, 2017

Nice styling and comfortable fit. With minor repairs would be in excellent condition. Holds the road well.

I'm Hooked

by Don424 from Hillsborough, NJ on May 12, 2009

At my age of 55 I could have bought just about any vehicle I wanted. But to me, most cars are a waste of money unless you can get real value through longevity and reliability. I wanted something that would be safe, reliable, have a good ride, handle well and be good on gas. So I bought an 2009 Outback with 8000 miles on it. I look foward to getting into this car every day. It's really a great car. It's quite roomy, rides great, handles like some sports cars I've tested and the engine has good power. I get 24-25mpg around town and I've gotten 30mpg on the highway at 70 mph. This crossover wagon is extremely quiet inside even at high speeds. I've had lots of cars but so far, the Outback has impressed me(& my wife) the most.

New 2009 Outback lover

by Subaru fan from Indiana on July 26, 2009

My wife just purchased a 2009 Outback after driving a host of others, both "crossovers" and sedans. She has a half-hour drive morning and afternoon to her job, and really wanted the safety of the all-wheel drive and traction control. She loves to sit up high, but did not want to drive a large SUV again like the one she traded in. She loves the sporty feel and beautiful two-tone dark and light gray exterior. She also feels good on the 17" wheels. In fact, she sat in the garage last night and played her I-pod on the wonderful Subaru radio with the wireless hookup! (We just picked it up two days ago!) We both love this vehicle--I'd had a Forrester about 6 years ago. She keeps a vehicle a long time, and this is the vehicle for that decision. She is a very careful looker, and this won out over several others. This Outback--for us, anyway--is a great marriage of automobile and SUV. We are both approaching 60 and retirement if that helps!

by JHH from on April 11, 2011

I have hadSubarus for years, and when I decided to give my 2004 Outback to my daughter, my wife and I looked at the 2010 Outback body style , and it was just too big for our tasteds. The previous generation Outback was just right, so we bought a 2009 with 8000 miles for a great deal through Cars.com. We love it!!

Outback ROCKS!

by tiger1 from Denver, CO on March 9, 2011

Am just in love with this vehicle. I have owned now for near a year and love the way it drives in snow while still getting incredible gas mileage for what it is.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Outstanding car!

by sanmusa from Fairbanks, AK on March 29, 2009

One of four Subarus I own, the Outback does not disappoint. "Limited Offroad Capability"? Yeah, if you compare it to a Jeep or another SUV (which the Outback isn't), but compare it to any other station wagon (which is is) and it shames the competition off road. With almost 9" of ground clearance there are very few roads the outback can't venture down. The seats are superb, I drove from Missouri to Alaska in five days in comfort. It has over 30,000 miles (less than a year old) and so far nothing has gone wrong. One of my Subarus has over 200,000 miles on its original engine and I am sure this Outback will reach that if taken care of. I would only trade my Outback for another one.

by Noanker from Noank, CT on November 26, 2010

Bought my 4th Subaru a few months back - get sale - no pressure. The car was a dealer loaner, so it was well broken in, very low milage - essentially just like new. The car has done great so far, and looks to be just as well performing as my 2006 Outback has been! Only down checks is the inside comfort - it's overall just fine, but could use a little more room in the drivers seat if you are over 6 foot tall.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2009 Subaru Outback

A longtime Cars.com favorite, the Subaru Outback remains a versatile, desirable model whose greatest shortcoming is that it's no longer unique. Along with competing wagons like the Volvo V50 and XC70 and Volkswagen's Passat wagon, it now faces small crossovers like the Toyota Venza, too. This has happened gradually as the SUV market has moved away from bulky, truck-based SUVs toward lighter, more refined unibody models that are more fuel- and space-efficient yet retain the attributes many buyers have come to appreciate: all-wheel drive, additional ground clearance and the flexibility of a hatchback.

For 2009, Subaru eliminated last year's base, Premium and L.L.Bean trim levels. Now the lineup starts... Read More