2017 Outback

2017 Subaru Outback

Have You Driven the 2017 Subaru Outback?

Value is a 10 out of 5 - Outback 3.6R

by NewToSubaru from Chicago, IL on Mon Dec 05 2016

Just bought the 3.6R. It's not the fastest car on the road, but definitely gets the job done with some horsepower to spare. Eyesight is a great feature, but I wish I could better refine how far behind a car we travel with it (the "bars" distance isn't granular enough for traffic). Tons of room, comfortable seats, has done superbly in the snow so far, and has a ton of handy features that Subaru does so well. I'm happy we chose this over the Grand Cherokees and 4Runners we were also considering. This car is an awesome bang for the buck.

VERY IMPRESSED!!

by MarksmanJO from on Tue Mar 07 2017

So far, soooo goood !!! I had to order this vehicle as dealers do not stock them. It is the touring edition of the outback. For the styling, amenities, and towing capability, you cannot beat it. I would have paid much more for a comparable vehicle in a different make. I've have been an auto physical damage specialist for 30 years and I am extremely impressed by the luxury and overall durability this car offers. I am very pleased with my purchase. The gas mileage has be averaging about 30 mpg which is awesome for its size. I have owned very many new vehicles over the years, but this Outback has impressed me the most!! GO SUBARU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect Roadtrip vehicle

by Klempner from Tampa, FL on Sun Feb 11 2018

Ok..I know this is all over the place...but I think it has a lot of good info..just be patient: I owned a 2017 Subaru Outback Premium. The most comfortable and practical vehicle I have ever owned: Performance rated at 4 stars only for the slow acceleration. I had the 2.5 liter H4 engine. (I have also owned the 3.6 liter H6 engine...more power) However, the handling on the vehicle is the best out of any vehicle I have ever driven. (Symmetrical all-wheel drive with horizontally opposed engine helps this) The 3.6 liter is only worth the extra money if you want the extra goodies. (If you want the 3.6 liter..you must get leather seats, push button start..etc...so..if you want all the goodies, then add about $4000 for the 6 cylinder...if you want cloth seats and just the basic...then you can't get the 6 cylinder) The seats are very comfortable for four full grown adults. An additional passenger could fit in the back seat but not super comfortable for a long road trip. The rear seats even recline for back seat comfort. The cruise control (adaptive cruise control) is awesome (only available when you have the EyeSight feature) Works great for interstate travel and you are going 78 mph and slowly gaining on someone who is going 78.25 mph, the Subaru automatically slows to that person's speed. The distance for that to activate is also adjustable. The Subaru has a lot of room for cargo as well. Not as much as a Suburban but very close to a Toyota 4runner. The Outback also has crossbeam things on the roof that detach and reattach across making it easier to attach on roof cargo. Gas mileage is very good. Highway mileage was 30 for me. Overall mileage was 26.7 mpg. Also, the CVT (Continuously variable transmission...the one with an infinite number of gear ratios) doesn't hum like the older versions. It mimicks a normal automatic transmission. It also it more dependable than those early 2000's Nissan Altimas that were known for the CVT's going bad. A few things I do not like about the Subaru Outback: 1: well..previously mentioned..acceleration. I think a 3.0 liter would be a good balance of mpg and sufficient power. 2: It has an electronic parking brake: This brake is either on or off. I like having an emergency brake of some type...this one can't be used as an emergency brake (well..I have never tried to at least) 3: This may be minor, but the gas cap is on the passenger side (right side) of the vehicle. it isn't a huge deal but why is it over there? I know in Japan, the driver side is over there...but the Germans drive on the right side of the road like the USA and their gas cap is still on the passenger side. 4. The Subaru bluetooth connection is not as good as the UConnect system that my Jeep Wrangler and by RAM 2500 has. It has a few second delay...the UConnect system has less than a one second delay. Not a huge deal...but I want to try to mention everything. 5. The styling isn't exactly..awesome. Again..not a huge deal, but well..it is a wagon. My friends used to make fun of me as I am a single adult male and chose to buy a new Outback...a family vehicle. 6. If you have a girlfriend who refuses to wear her seatbelt...then the dinger on the dash will not shut up. 7. People assume you are a liberal (obviously this would be a positive if you are a liberal) OK.....some more good things. Many new vehicles are not available with CD players. The 2017 Subaru Outback Premium comes with a single disc CD player. I liked the Premium Trim as opposed to the Limited Trim by the way...(I wanted cloth seats) as the Premium Trim comes with 17" wheels as opposed to 18" wheels. I know most people would prefer the 18" wheels for the styling...but the 17" wheels give the vehicle a slightly cushier ride. The reason I no longer have the Outback is because I needed to buy a truck..but if I could afford both, I would definitely had kept my Outback. After owning my Outback, I honestly do not understand why I don't see more of them on the road. They are fantastic vehicles. For a family of four, this is the absolute best vehicle you could possibly own, providing you don't need a truck. Extremely capable, smooth, reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable vehicle.

Perfect Car

by KD from El Dorado Hills, CA on Sat Mar 11 2017

I love my Outback. It's so comfortable, the Limited model has everything on it that you could even want. It isn't just a functional car, I got the black Outback, and it is beautiful. I get compliments on it all the time. I sit up high enough to feel safe and comfortable- higher than some SUVs. On the inside, it is laid out very well and everything is convenient for the driver. I'll never buy another type of car!

Touring 3.6 Unbelievable

by SisQLady from Bonanza, OR on Sat Mar 18 2017

I cannot believe how different this car is compared to my prior Subaru Outback with the 2.5 motor. This car has power as well as all the bells and whistles. I have only had it a week and don't want to get out of it.

Love this Car, the only car anyone should own

by Drea01 from Minden on Mon Mar 06 2017

I love all the new features. Comfort, nice driving, easy to handle. Only thing I miss is not being able to upload the flash drive with my music and have it stay there, otherwise this car is all I expected and more. The cruise control is wonderful, love that it automatically cuts down when traffic is to close, then goes back to your set level when traffic in front moves away. Love it.

LOVE my car!

by Simons Mom from St. Charles, IL on Wed Mar 22 2017

I love the comfort and safety of this car. It has the Eyesight system with adaptive cruise control, which makes highway driving awesome.

Very well built vehicle.

by Biking Nut from Williamsport PA on Fri Mar 24 2017

Only had vehicle for a few days but I am quite impressed in such a short time. The car handles very nicely, holds the road and is easy to drive. Controls are well lighted and easily accessible. Interior is roomy and the seats are quite comfortable. Visibility is excellent, especially on the sides and rear. The rear seems to be large while the rear seats can be folded down from outside with the side controls.

Affordable AWD with perks

by OhKariAnn from Roscoe IL on Wed Mar 15 2017

My Outback is great! I came from the diesel Jetta so I do miss my turbo off the line but the Outback has plenty of power for my needs. I like that the CVT trans is maintenance free and it runs on synthetic. I wish the back seats had door cup holders but that is my only interior complaint.

Never get stuck in snow

by Guzio from Addison, Il on Mon Dec 30 2019

Outstanding in snow better than my other car(SQ 5). I wish there was upgrade in the future so the car get more power(turbo, Supercharger). This car is good for everyone and any type of driving(commute, off-road, ......) this is my 3rd and I will definitely get the4th in the future. These cars don’t brake all you have to do is regular maintenance. I had 279k miles on my 2nd and beside regular maintenance I didn’t have to do anything else. I highly recommend this car for families.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36

Our Take on the 2017 Subaru Outback

The verdict: Whether you consider the 2017 Subaru Outback a wagon or a crossover SUV, it’s a home run for families and well-rounded enough to appeal to a large crowd.

Versus the competition: Though the Outback doesn’t have the sheer capabilities and size of a traditional midsize SUV, there’s enough SUV flavor there to satisfy more than just loyal Subaru owners.

For 2017, the Subaru Outback adds a new Touring trim level that gives an extra bit of luxuriousness to the top of the four-cylinder (2.5i) and six-cylinder (3.6R) trim ranges. Outback trims now include the base 2.5i trim, plus 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Touring, 3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring. Compare the 2016 Outback with... Read More