1999 4Runner

1999 Toyota 4Runner

$142 - $14,694  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1999 Toyota 4Runner?

Real sweet ride

by Frankinscience from Los Angeles, CA on Mon Dec 10 2012

I purchased this vehicle for errands and to get to school and back. It's a wonderful ride and I love this LIMITED model over the SR5 or the base version. She has a lot of miles on her, but was well taken care of and runs smooth. No problems so far. The dealer at Car Search USA (Bo) took good care of me.

looking for a newer 4runner

by not my last 4 runner from atlanta, Ga on Fri Nov 27 2009

I purchased my 1998 SR5 with 90K miles after my previous vehicle was totaled by a rear end collision with a semi and have been pleasantly surprised with the vehicle. I am about to turn 215K and have zero complaints about the 4runner or Toyota. Mechanically this SUV is very sound and needs little more than the regular oil changes. I have had to change out the starter once (I start and stop the vehicle maybe 15 times a day due to sales calls for my job) I am actually at this site to research a replacement 4runner. Wondering if the 2003-2009 body style rides a little smoother (I would never have complained until the smooth ride of my wife's lexus has spoiled me)

Best and cheap Vehicle to own.

by limster89 from Los Angeles,CA on Wed Jun 13 2018

I recently test drove the 4runner to see what it was like and it was powerful coming from a 3.4L V6 engine. The power is effortless driving and passing someone easily on the freeway. This body style will age well and so far people keeping back for it because of Toyota reliability and dependability. One of the best body on frame SUV/truck on the market.

fits me like a glove

by 4runner chick from Clarkson, KY on Thu Jun 25 2009

I love my 4Runner. I drove a friend of mine's new Envoy last week and I wouldn't trade my '99 4Runner for it any day of the week. He can keep his Envoy.

very versitile

by 4runner mudder from palm harbor, fl on Tue Sep 07 2010

From off the road to the highway this truck does anything I ask it to. I have a 1999 Toyota 4runner limited 2 wheel drive and have never needed 4 wheel drive. The horsepower is a little weak but nothing a TRD Super Charger couldn't fix love the truck.

Best vehicles ever!!

by LimoGman from Lawrence Ks on Sun Jan 19 2020

I am a little prejudice lol. Love love my 4Runners yes plural. I own a 98 Limited and a 99 SR5. Both in 200,000 mile club with nothing but basic maintenance/wear out items. My 99 is named Grace because she's freaking amazing, my 98 is Betty(after Betty White because she's awesome and going to live for ever lol) The only bad thing about any 3rd generation 4runner is buying it. Good ones are pricey but worth every penny. I'd trust either of mine to drive anywhere tomorrow. Best 4x4 SUV ever in my opinion. Currently looking for a 3rd , 3rd gen 5speed 4runner. BUY THIS CAR !!! You won't be disappointed only your mechanic because he's just going to be doing oil changes and brake pads lol

Extremely reliable truck

by Rebel4runner from Airville Pennsylvania on Fri Dec 22 2017

I love my Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4. Has over 200,000 miles and still runs and drives like a champ. No major issues, just common and routine maintenance like oil changes, fluid changes, tune up, brakes and tires, you know the stuff you should do to any vehicle. I drive it daily and love it, great gas mileage in town and very great on highway and country roads. It's been off roading and rock climbing, does great every time. 4x4 still works perfect. Note not all came with 4x4. Mine is the Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.4L V6. Any is very reliable and yes I'll recommend one any day to anybody. Love my 4runner.

1999 4Runner 2.7 4x4 auto trans

by Rob from on Tue Nov 15 2016

Wow I'm impressed . This truck gets great fuel mileage is big inside the four wheel drive is amazing in soft sand and dirt up steep hills as well . 206k on it and runs and drives perfect .

Probably the best car I've ever owned

by Toyota fan for life from Greenville, SC on Tue Nov 12 2019

Reliability is the first thing I look for in any vehicle, and while the 4Runner excels in that department, it is also roomy, comfortable, well designed and engineered, and an excellent tow vehicle as well. Mine is 2WD which is all I personally need, but the 4WD versions are known to be great off road vehicles. I purchased mine used with 129,000 miles on it and changed the oil every 2500 miles. It now has 305,000 on it, uses no oil, and runs like a brand new vehicle. It's been in the shop once in twelve years for a tune up - period. I've owned a number of good, solid and reliable vehicles in my lifetime, but I've never had any vehicle that has performed like this one. I anticipate leaving this automobile to my 2 year old grandson.

Top Quality SUV at 7 Years Old

by Grandpa from Phoenix, Arizona on Thu Jul 27 2006

I bought a new 1999 4Runner Limited 4X4 seven years ago. I've driven it to and from work (40 miles roundtrip), and frequently off-road to hike and hunt. It currently has 103,000 miles on it, and continues to run perfectly. I have followed the maintenance schedule and change my own oil/filter every 3-4,000 miles. My mechanic, a specialist with more than 15 years caring for Asian vehicles, said it will likely run at least 100-150K miles more without major problems. This summer I gave it to my son (age 34) who is moving to Colorado. It's retail value has held steady over the years, estimated today to be around $14K. I must admit I hated to part with it, but I know my son's family (incluidng our two grandkids) will have some exciting adventures on trips throughout Colorado and into the backcountry to camp, flyfish and ski. What's more important is that they will be able to count on its reliability and toughness in the years ahead. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my grandkids riding in just any SUV. If he takes care of it, he just may be able to give it to his son in about 15 years or so.

Our Take on the 1999 Toyota 4Runner

On second thought . . .

When last we visited the Toyota 4Runner sport-utility vehicle it was just being introduced as a redesigned 1996 model.

Loved it. A worthy and much-lower-cost alternative to the much larger Lexus LX450 (which has since become the LX470), we said at the time.

But that was then and this is now, and once again we’ve tested the 4Runner, this time the 1999 base four-wheel-drive version with its 2.7-liter, 150-horsepower... Read More