1999 4Runner

1999 Toyota 4Runner

$15 - $14,595  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1999 Toyota 4Runner?

best car i ever owned

by 4-runner from Tehachapi california on Thu Aug 17 2017

most reliable car ever ,love this car , great solid engine, has over 215,000 miles,owned since 2003.

best car ever owned

by John Henry from White Oak on Tue May 29 2018

This suv meets all my needs from dependability to its sporty looks this suv does it all. I love the leg room and how all controls are at hands reach.

Hold Value, Hands down top 5 suv's ever!!!

by JBAutoKing from Sicklerville, NJ on Sat Jun 17 2017

Ask any owner of one of these, they always buy ANOTHER ONE. they hold there v alue and easily go over 300,000 miles

Best vehicle out there, can't beat any 4Runner

by BenJi on Wed Jul 19 2017

I love this vehicle. There is the perfect amount of space inside, I can pack gear/food for 2 weeks on the road for 5 people.

Top Quality SUV at 7 Years Old

by Grandpa from Phoenix, Arizona on Thu Jul 27 2006

I bought a new 1999 4Runner Limited 4X4 seven years ago. I've driven it to and from work (40 miles roundtrip), and frequently off-road to hike and hunt. It currently has 103,000 miles on it, and continues to run perfectly. I have followed the maintenance schedule and change my own oil/filter every 3-4,000 miles. My mechanic, a specialist with more than 15 years caring for Asian vehicles, said it will likely run at least 100-150K miles more without major problems. This summer I gave it to my son (age 34) who is moving to Colorado. It's retail value has held steady over the years, estimated today to be around $14K. I must admit I hated to part with it, but I know my son's family (incluidng our two grandkids) will have some exciting adventures on trips throughout Colorado and into the backcountry to camp, flyfish and ski. What's more important is that they will be able to count on its reliability and toughness in the years ahead. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my grandkids riding in just any SUV. If he takes care of it, he just may be able to give it to his son in about 15 years or so.

I Love my 4Runner!

by Toyota all the way from Oskaloosa, Ia on Sat Aug 11 2012

I Love my 4-Runner but it is getting up there on miles. We are looking at another Tacoma but a 4 door this time. We still have out 98 extended cab tacoma.

Very Nice Reliable SUV

by eronhc from morgantown, wv on Sun Jan 13 2008

I have had this vehicle for 4 year and 74,000 miles and have not had any problems with it mechanically. It now has 145,000 miles. The body is starting to show a little rust but not bad for a northern vehicle. The interior space is narrow for a larger person like myself but the leg and head room is good. I wish it had a few more luxury features. This vehicle has been great and will be upgrading to a newer model soon.

One great truck

by Truck from Rossville, GA on Sat Jun 10 2006

This truck needs to be named the top truck of the year. I have a 1999 4runner I just purchased and it is excellent. I have very little complaints at all. First the good things. It's a toyota, you can't go wrong with a toyota. They are all known for their reliability and longevity. The engine is strong and works really hard for you in those trying times of slow moving traffic. Now it's no porcshe, but it does have a little getty up in it. The inside is nicely designed and well put together. I have cloth in mine, and the tinted windows helps protect against the sun. The only negative is the new bubmper they put on it, it looks like a mules nose. Other than that, i am very pleased about my truck, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

4Runner Lasts FOREVER. :)

by Lee from Houston, Texas on Mon Mar 05 2012

I bought this car used with 130K on it about 5 years ago. Now it has 180K and it is still running smooth like its new. The cost of maintenance is very minimal. I have the 4WD version and it is amazing! Why? I used it get on medians when there was a thunderstorm that made trees fell across the roads. You can also upgrade the tail lights to LED for about $145 with shipping for an upgraded look and better safety with the LED technology. Every time I wash and wax my 4Runner, people thinks that it is a fairly new car and have no idea that this car is 13 YEARS OLD! If you are on a budget and needs a SUV, 4Runner is the best option. Don't worry about the mileage since they do lasts forever! :P The resale value is very high too. I bought my 4Runner five years ago for $8500 and now it still worth $6500 with the added 50K mileage.

It's 'got it all.'

by Triman650 from Wakefield, RI on Sat Apr 15 2017

Bought my '99 SR5 4Runner in 2012 from a guy who owned it from new. It came from the mid-West, a drier clime than Southern New England where I live. It was in very good shape. Since I've owned it I've put 20,000 miles on it..now at 218,000. The biggest problem I've had is when the fuel gauge quit. As it was computerized I had to spend some bucks to get the upgrade/improvement that Toyota provided. This was a problem common to that year. The auto retractable antenna quit (I just leave it up) , as well as the clock. They can be fixed by Toyota for a price. The only other bad thing is the frame is rusting now...a shame as the vehicle is A-ok otherwise....but the salt on the winter roads here takes a toll. I love the bigger wheels and tires it came with, the cassette/CD combo, and the fact that the rear window goes up and down with a touch of the button. It's a great vehicle for long distance interstate roads, as well as when you need push button 4wd for our winters and for off-road use.

Our Take on the 1999 Toyota 4Runner

On second thought . . .

When last we visited the Toyota 4Runner sport-utility vehicle it was just being introduced as a redesigned 1996 model.

Loved it. A worthy and much-lower-cost alternative to the much larger Lexus LX450 (which has since become the LX470), we said at the time.

But that was then and this is now, and once again we’ve tested the 4Runner, this time the 1999 base four-wheel-drive version with its 2.7-liter, 150-horsepower... Read More