2017 4Runner

2017 Toyota 4Runner

2017 Toyota 4Runner

5 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2017 Toyota 4Runner?

No better vehicle on the market

by JJ from New Albany, MS on Tue Jul 18 2017

Fantastic vehicle. I would not drive any other vehicle. I've been driving a 4 runner for the last 20 years. I have never had any problem @ all with my 4Runner

4Runner SR5

by Off Road Driver from New Jersey on Sun Sep 03 2017

I have been a 4 wheel off road driver for over 30 years. Having had pick ups and other SUV vehicles I can honestly say the Toyota 2017 SR 5 4Runner is one of the most capable off road vehicles I have driven. In my opinion, the 5 star rating I have given it is well deserved. My one concern was the power output with the V6 engine. However, I must say I am pleased with its pep from a full stop to desired speed. It seems quite capable under normal conditions. If hauling a trailer or boat it may seem a bit short on initial torque and power but proper driving skills will compensate for that. Overall, a very capable off road vehicle with ample ground clearance and a better than average track record when it comes to reliability. I highly recommend.

Uses car for Off-roading

Needed a vehicle for Forest Service roads

by Djdudley from Seattle WA on Mon Jun 04 2018

So far we are loving our 4Runner. We spend a lot of time hiking and our other vehicle was a Ford Escape with not enough clearance for a lot of the roads. The Toyota has great clearance, it handles the dirt/mud/pothole roads like a champ! The trunk also provides nice shelter from the rain to change out of our wet, dirty gear, the speakers in the trunk door are really nice to have! The seats are nice and wide which makes for a comfy ride on road trips.

TRD Off-Road 2017 4Runner

by 4run on Thu Jul 06 2017

Great looks and even smoother ride. The KDSS suspension keeps it steady, coupled with the premium Entune system (navigation, XM, apps, etc) help make this a no brainer purchase.

Uses car for Off-roading

Best all around vehicle we ever owned

by Boomer from Newport Vermont on Tue Oct 10 2017

Super all car for all weather driving ! Most all creature comforts and gets pretty good gas mileage! Blizzard pearl color looks sweet and stylish! 20 inch wheels are awesome ! Just cannot say enough good things about the 2017 Toyota 4 runner limited

Fabulous 4X4 with great towing capability

by Tummyman from Center Harobr, NH on Sat May 12 2018

Meets my needs for winter driving with 4X4. Also can tow my boat nicely. Very quiet ride, Handles nice on highways. I like al the nice features as well.

You pay for the name

by JP from Colorado on Fri Oct 19 2018

Owned a 2017 Toyota trd premium.Got suckered into the Toyota hipe. It’s like a cult ..and anyone will give thier left leg for a Toyota. First of all it’s hugely underpowered! I would get passed by school buses ! Seriously passed by a school bus! The engine sounds like a hampster wheel ! Struggles to get up to 30mph but then compensates a bit. However, if you are trying to pull out and merge 0-30 is the most important time to have acceleration .The driver position is horribly designed! The car has horrible body roll around corners. Cargo and drinks will fly all over the place when you’re cornering . I know its an off road vehicle and have had plenty without that kind of body roll . It is horrible in the snow! The 4 wheel drive system is a joke on the highway. It goes all over the place. It has shifter on the column instead of a switch, so you have reach across and shift while in a snow storm to change it. It usually grinds when shifting into 4x4. If you leave it 4x4 you cant turn sharp without grinding and when you back up it grinds . How would you off road in that’ It reminds me of old trucks where yku have to get out and turn the hubs . Passengers have great space but the driver has no foot, knee or leg space for the driver who drives in the car the most.The consule is placed right up against your right leg. Dashboard column hits your knees so they have air bags for your knees. Lol . The dash board quality is horrible. Squeaks and cracks constantly. Dashboard hits the front window every time you hit a bump. The options are horrible! The worst stereo I have ever had. entune goes out all the time. Pandora loses its connection and now Toyota is stopping there contract with Pandora so say good to that! Thes speakers and sounds quality are the worst of any vehicle I have had . Both the entune and JBL are a joke! The speakers are worse than using the speaker on my phone. Everyone that rides with me says ’that’s the worst sound system I have ever heard’ The turning radius is horrible! Full size trucks have a better turning radius! Tell me how you can go off-roading without being able to turn or turn around on a trail ’! Gas mileage is horrible for a V6. Full size pickups with V8s get better gas milage and 4 cylinders have more power. The paint quality is horrible. You can scratch the paint with your fingernail. Have to always use a touchless car wash because anything will scratch the paint! The grill and front of the car are hideous! 2 feet extra length in front to all a god awful grill and bumper! The positives is that it has good ground clearance and probably the only suv that still has that. It has insane resale value for some reason’ The Powertrain seems reliable and if keep a car for 200k miles it would probably hold up. The integrity of the 4 runner is not reliable at all. The dash and door panels are cheap and rattle! The paint would not last more than a few years. There are no options in the 4 runner so probably don’t have to worry about power mirrors or keyless entry or any other normal standard option on any other vehicle going out. Toyota is a joke ! So many better options. Get a Grand Cherokee !

Does not recommend this car!!

Makes me feel like a princess

by Tarboro Momma from Tarboro NC on Thu Jan 16 2020

My Toyota 4Runner makes me feel like royalty. I own the limited model and the exterior styling is absolutely gorgeous! The placement of the interior parts like cup holders, charging outlets and the electronics display are perfect. The dashboard display seem a little analog for the styling but overall not a deal breaker. The steering column has a very tight drive - which I love, and for such a large vehicle the handling seems fluid and easy. B far the best car I’ve owned!

A reliable vehicle thus far.

by Toyota Confident from Goodyear, AZ. on Sat Jul 22 2017

We bought the SR model since they all carry the same engine. The look we were after, was an SUV that actually looked like an SUV with a bit of a ruggedness to it. Not one that looks like a mini-van or one that appears for highway use only. We bought the SR simply because we didn't believe we needed all the bells and whistles that the other models had. As far as gas mileage goes, my wife didn't find it to be to terribly bad after coming from a suburban. The ride is smooth and the acceleration, powerful. I see a lot of new 4 Runners on the road, all these people can't be wrong . . . can they?

Over priced

by Ajax1044 from Denver on Wed Aug 23 2017

Awsome truck, great style and super good looking. I like this truck a lot but it is over priced. i went to Mtn states Toyota and they wasted my time calling me back only to tell me the payments would be 800 a month. I wish it was around 29 thousand.

Our Take on the 2017 Toyota 4Runner

The verdict:

The 2017 Toyota 4Runner is an affordable, no-frills, off-road-capable SUV with a hint of weekend-toy fun factor.

Versus the competition:

If the 4Runner TRD Off-Road were a Jeep, its capabilities and luxuries would fall somewhere between the primitive-but-capable Jeep Wrangler and the more refined Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The 2017 Toyota 4Runner is slowly becoming one of a kind thanks to a focus on off-road capabilities and ruggedness rather than the refinement, passenger comfort and crash avoidance technologies that are prioritized in competing models. If you’d like the latter, there are a plethora of car-based SUVs out there, like the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot, to get the family around in leather-trimmed comfort. The 4Runner, on the other hand, has hardware better suited for weekend camping trips, mountainous exploration or, as I found, oddly good maneuvering of an urban landscape.

What makes it so capable? The Toyota 4Runner retains body-on-frame construction, a once-common chassis type that’s given... Read More