2001 Toyota Tundra

Great little full size truck

by from Ohio on September 14, 2017

First-gen Tundras are only a little bigger than a Tacoma you would buy today, but they can still carry/tow the weight of a full-size truck. I bought mine in 2011 with 100K miles on it (two previous owners, and the second owner had used it as a secondary, towing vehicle). It's currently at 170K miles, and used primarily for commuting, but with some off-road driving and towing (horse trailer). Frame was recalled and replaced in 2012. Otherwise (besides regular maintenance), I estimate that I've dropped about $500-$1000 into it once a year (rack and pinion, front inner and outer tie rods and brake lines, rear shocks, U joint, and one leaf spring -- mostly due to rust -- thanks Ohio!). On one hand, I've put below average mileage on it (around 10,000 miles/year), but on the other hand it is a work truck, so there has been a fair amount of off-road driving while on the job. Currently the 4wd doesn't work, which I need to get to the bottom of: I believe it is an actuator that needs to be replaced (either the 4wd actuator or the automatic differential actuator, which is different). I haven't had time to fix that yet, but also I've never gotten it stuck, even without the 4wd working. From reading forums it seems that actuator failure (one or both of the actuators) is fairly common. For a full-size pickup it gets really good gas mileage (I get an average of 16-17mpg, and probably do about 60/40 city/highway driving). When pulling a trailer, the mileage goes down, but there's no lack of power (pulling a horse trailer with one horse in it). The front seat is very comfortable for long trips, but the back seat (access cab with clamshell/suicide doors) is really only suited for children or small adults (the average adult _can_ fit in the back seat, but it's not very comfortable for much more than a short trip).

One of the best trucks I have owned

by from Huntsville. Al on July 23, 2017

I has plenty of leg room and the bed is large enough to carry work tools . I gets good gas mileage as well

193,000 miles and it's engine runs perfect.

by from Pontotoc, MS. on July 21, 2017

Wouldn't be afraid to start anywhere in this vehicle despight it's high mileage. The V8 engine uses no oil and has plenty of power if you call on it.

Will never leave you stranded

by from Hodges, SC on June 23, 2017

This car has been in the family the longest and has been through almost everyone and still runs like a champ.

Most reliable truck!

by from Philadelphia, PA on April 12, 2017

This is an all-around excellent vehicle to have. The fact that it packs a strong 4.7L V8 and one of the most reliable engines for its class, it simply can't be beaten.

Best Truck Ever

by from Western Washington on February 2, 2016

I bought my 2001 Tundra 4x4 Limited used about 5 years ago. Now with 134,000 miles on it, it still runs and rides really smooth and quiet. I use it on a lot of rough gravel and pot-holed roads and it doesn't have any rattles or squeaks, which I find pretty amazing. I also tow a 4,500 Lb. travel trailer with it and the only time I wish it had a little more power is when going up steep grades in the mountains. But it always gets us where we're going and tows like a breeze otherwise. I had an oxygen sensor go out once and had a very slow leak at the water pump gasket which I had fixed, and that's been it except for the exhaust manifold leak that is common on almost all of the 4.7 liter engines. I can live with that. Changed the timing belt at 90,000 as required too. Absolutely great truck that's capable and with a comfortable ride!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Wonderful Service

by from on February 17, 2014

Thanks guys for giving my family such a great deal, my husband loves the truck it was great doing business with you. Thanks for working with us we will make sure to keep an eye on your inventory when we need something else.

Amazing Truck

by from West Chester, PA on November 13, 2013

I recently bought my 2001 Tundra- Limited Access Cab with 170k miles on it. I had been shopping for a pickup for less than $8Grand. I found many Chevy S10's and a few Ford F150s. The problem was, even if they were low miles, the body and/or the frame was rusting away, or serious mechanical repairs were necessary. This Tundra rides better, runs smoother, and has no major rust anywhere on or underneath! Steering is tight, no squeaks or rattles. It is amazing! I never thought I'd own a 'foreign' truck, but knowing it's made in Princeton IN relieved my angst about that! My son will be driving it mostly, so knowing it's also a very safe vehicle is reassuring.

Wonderful Truck

by from Montrose, CO on September 4, 2012

I have a 2001 Tundra 3.4L V6 4x4 Access cab, with the SR5 package (his name is Hunter). I love this truck- almost 300k miles with very few complaints, and still on the original clutch. Quite a few of the miles were off highway since my wife and i are both geologists/outdoor enthusiasts and used it for work and adventuring all over the desert SW. Highway MPG was ~20-21, city was ~15. No major repairs required, i'm pretty religious about changing the oil every 7k miles and the timing belt every 90k. i have a little carbon buildup in the tailpipe now, and they say the catalytic converter needs replacing. Not the most powerful truck, and hills can be a bit slow, but pulled pretty good loads up and down some steep grades. 4x4 is excellent, very well balanced and has a great low end. I replaced the SR5 shocks with Bilsteins and added a pre-load and an 'add-a-leaf' to tighten the ride, which worked well. only complaints are the wing window latches snapped within ~20k miles because we closed the doors with them open, and the sun-visors lost their staying-up ability, so we used some velcro stickies. hit a deer last weekend, and never lost control since the truck is so solid. barely felt it actually. waiting on the adjuster right now, and i fear Hunter will be totaled because of the high miles. i hope not, he's been a great, reliable friend.

best truck ever

by from omaha,ne on May 26, 2011

there an awesome truck at everything yhu use it 4 anything yhu want it 2 do it does it works great 4 anything