2003 Volkswagen Passat consumer reviews

$21,750–$22,825 MSRP range
side view of 2003 Passat Volkswagen
Explore the 2003 Volkswagen Passat

My BeautifulPassat

This car was styled that year to challenge the BMW and many thought it was a Beamer. It got me across the country up and down hills through Blizzards and heavy rain and had a lot of stamina keeping its beauty till I traded 2017 for a Jetta!!

VW Passat W8

This car was the crowning achievement for VW is the early 2000s. The W8 far exceeded anyone's expectations. The only downside was the maintenance that it requires.

Really Love riding it, have very good electronics

Inside very neat and clean, Leather seats, GLX 4 Motion means AWD (high end), Have sunroof, Auto adjustable mirrors when you put it in Reverse mode, Mirros have defrost really help during snow, Wagon provides big storage, leather heated seats really help in winter, strong body, Monsoon sound system with CD, Radio and Tape very good, Every trouble or error you get display as text on dashboard, Worth buying with all loaded features, and really worth for money, Based on Age body is in very good condition, have little dent/scratch in rear passenger door and scratch at back side.

4.4

One of the cheapest fast cars I've owned

With my Passat, I have had many fun experiences and times whether that be with the friends or just driving around. It's a comfortable car and that still has that little bit of power under the hood to feel like it has some sport in it.

Best Car I've Owned Yet!

I was sceptical when I bought this car used with 110k, but it turned out to be one of the best cars I've ever owned! The motor is very reliable, especially if you maintain it regularly. The exterior and interior of my vehicle is immaculate and people are always surprised to hear that it is a 2003. The ride is not too noisy at high speeds (70+mph) and handles well on winding country roads. If you happen to find one in this generation that looks great I would definitely recommend buying it. You will not regret it.

2.6

Horrible from the time we left dealership

This car gave us trouble from the beginning. It is a 2003 and the only good thing I have to say about it is that is had REALLY LOW miles on it. It only has $135,000 now. Electrical system stinks, Engine light on all the time (event though we've had it checked repeatedly

3.7

Good car

Very happy so far. Wait and see. Hope it lasts another 100k miles. Only had for two weeks and already had to fix oil leak but I expected to put some money into it. Gas mileage not what I had hoped but it is fourteen years old.

2003 V6 GLX with Manual Transmission

I bought my GLX V6 5 speed new and have owned it for 11 years. It is a stylish and high performing car. Very reliable still after nearly 150K miles. Only complaint is it burns some oil in its later years - about 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

Reliable Drive

Read some of the negative reviews.....mostly concerning the possibility of engine "sludge". I owned one of the 1.8Turbo models involved in the class action suit. It appears that using the recommended 5 - 40w synthetic oil and changing at the 5500 to 6000 mile intervals is key to avoiding problems. Perform the service (you can get the Mann filters & five quarts of synthetic on sale @ Auto Zone for under $30) and you will have a vehicle that will perform well for a couple hundred thousand miles. Thousands are still reliably running & being sold every day.. Finding service outside the dealer network is not difficult in my rural area. As I travel around I always see small service/sales centers who specialize in the VW brand. I think the folks who have problems have not taken care of their vehicles......All makes require service.......in my area the pre-owned VW's (including the 1.8T) have a strong resale record and high satisfaction rating.

2.1

Run run run

I have owed a passat w8 in the past, fun car to drive but spent about 5,500 in repaires in about a years time! We took great care and just wanted a nice reliable car but this was not it! Unless you just want to have the car for a weekend driver this is not the car for you. Don't plan on taking it to anywhere but the volkswagon dealer to get it fixed as they are very complex and nobody else knows how to repair them. Run like the wind and buy something else! Don't say you weren't warned