2005 Passat

2005 Volkswagen Passat

2005 Volkswagen Passat

4.0

Have you driven the 2005 Volkswagen Passat?

So far, so good!

by Pablo from Pennsylvania on Wed Aug 31 2011

Six years and 180,000 miles with out a problem. Granted the vast majority of miles are highway. Overall mpg is 37.5 and taking a trip 40 mpg+ is common. I continually run VW recommended diesel fuel additive and oil changes 5k - 7k. I don't care for the vinyl seat, cloth would be a much better ride. My goal is for 10 years and 275K if no major repair are required. It's not a performance engine for drag racing but I don't need a speeding ticket either.

Wish it Had Held Together

by VW Lover from Northern Illionis on Mon Mar 18 2013

We bought this car new and traded in a perfect Audi Allroad. What a mistake ! The car has been serviced by the dealer as finding a local repair shop to work on it is impossible. We have been very careful to do all the right maintenance at the right interval as we wanted to keep it for a long time. The chain for the oil pump broke and left my daughter standed in the wintertime along the side of the road. Had it towed to the dealer who was so happy. They offered to do a new short block for $ 10K ! I had the pump replaced and they warned about a little whine in the turbo. Maybe it got starved for oil when the pump went out. In about 200 miles it went. A total of about $ 7500. for that little episode. Last month the transmission went out for another $ 4900.00 !! We have so much money wrapped up in this car it's hard to get rid of it. We have a 12K mile warranty on the trans and I promise a used Toyota Corolla will replace it . We do love the German feel when driving it but what a piece of junk when it come to repairs.

TDI

by Person from Williamsport, PA on Mon Jan 02 2012

Has the old diesel engine without the re-uptake of exhaust, decided on that instead of the new diesel. Gets about 40 MPG. Nice and sturdy.

Money Pit

by SadPassatOwner from Phoenix, az on Mon Oct 13 2014

Bought 2005 TDI new from dealer about 9 years ago. The car handles really well and has an upscale feel (at least for a 9 year old car). At 50k miles the dashboard cluster was replaced since the screen fades when it gets hot. The real problems started right after 60k miles. We found out -too late- about the little plastic tensioner for the oil chain. Cost 2400 USD to replace the chain for a gear (Dealer came down on labor price a little, VW did NOT for the part, even though all European passats and other cars that use the same engine had switched). This car is sold with a 100 percent failure rate and a stalling engine on a freeway should be considered unsafe and therefore a respectable and customer caring company would issue a recall. Anyway at 100k miles the transmission was replaced. At 110k miles the driver window fell down. The wire cable that moves the window runs over 3 metal rollers with the 4th being plastic... guess which roller failed. Now at 154k miles the oil pump failed and the engine is shot. Free oil changes for life were included by dealer so this was done at the right time/interval. Outer CV boots are replace every 6 months - I do it myself now for about 100 USD. VW's are not bad cars (any brand has lemons) but they are not standing behind their product. Total cost for repairs (incl the total loss of the engine and therefore no trade value): 12000 USD.

Think before you review

by Diesel doctor from Suwanee on Thu Mar 14 2013

I have owned this car since it what new , I see a few bad reviews on this car that complain of repairs , first of all most any car ( especially a diesel) if properly kept , not driven crazy and has on time service ( by a true diesel mechanic!!!) will go very very far without many major issues , this car has the feel of a mercedes c class with the efficiency of a Prius and great durability so you it out does almost every ford , Audi , Acura , Chevy sedan ect , here are my reccomendation if you buy used by from someone who knows diesels and knows how to drive them , and once you do have it don't gun it to the floor everytime you start driving that's a good way to destroy the turbo , that being said I like the comfort a lot , it shocked me how much better it rode than a Jetta , plenty of room and lastly before you complain about repairs bills think about how much this car saved you at the gas pump , this is by no means a lemon or bad car I do reccomend it over most every car on the market today

Great Car

by Levi's TDI's from Ludington, MI on Tue Mar 24 2015

Gets about 35mpg average and 41 mpg on the highway. Has good power. I installed two more seats in the back so you can haul 7 people. Even fully loaded you still get great mileage. Has plenty of leg room and is very roomy inside. The car has 115,000 miles and uses no oil. I replaced the balance shaft assembly with an ALH oil pump. The balance shaft assembly is really the only weak spot in the car. Use a good 5w40 motor oil and it is a very reliable car.

Solid Car

by Brima2 from Goldsboro on Thu Nov 02 2017

I purchased this 2005 Passat GLX just before they changed the body style and have owned it through 235k miles. It is a solid car. It still drives smoothly. As with all VW, the only issue I have is you are better off taking it to the dealership (or someone who specialized in VW) for service, or you will be sorry. It is not high maintenance, but when needed you need to just bite the bullet. That said, I would highly recommend and have just purchased another Passat...and still held onto the 2005.

IRON BOY

by IRON BOY from Dallas on Mon May 15 2006

The ride, drive and handling of this vehicle is amazing.The monsoon audio system is adequate but not exceptional.VW's seams to have reliability issues but diesel engine are known to last for a long time with proper care.I haven't any problem yet.The EPA fuel economy is an understatement.I got 42/43 MPG's cruising on the freeway.

I still love mine!

by VW fan from montrose co on Sun Jan 28 2018

I love the comfort of this car it was very well made and solid. I purchased it in 06 with about 25k on it for commuting 120 miles a day. I sold my Honda Civic because it felt so cheap, the seats were hard and I could hardly keep it on the road on a windy day. I had the glow plugs replaced on recall about 10 years ago. Two months ago the car started a little slow and I googled battery problems and ran across a article that my recalled glow plugs were recalled but that it had expired. I contacted a new dealership in Grand Junction Co and the service manager agreed to replace them for free. Other than that, the only problem is that the door locks are starting to act up, you never know if they will work so you have to check them, it locked me out twice when the key was in the ignition so I carry a spare now. Overall I still love this car and now have 245k on it . I can drive from Co to Idaho on a tank of gas which makes me feel safer when traveling alone without my husband. I will keep it till one of us dies.

Look somewhere else

by Drivernotwanted from Midwest on Tue Nov 08 2011

Bought my Passat TDI wagon new in 2005 and have put 200K+ on it. In short, I bought it to keep it. Love the ride and radio, things mostly end there. It has cost me thousands to keep this car on the road. Lots of well documented issues with this engine and the car. Before you buy one of these check out some of the forums related to it and save yourself some major headaches.

1 2 3 4