2018 Tiguan

4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Smooth

by Cars Plus from Gaithersburg, MD on July 29, 2017

Major improvement if you are looking a bit larger SUV then previous years. Technical upgrades, huge screen, comfy seats and most of all smooth riding. The ability to switch to different driving modes is a plus. Turning radius is much better and when you driving, it really doesn't seem much bigger. However if your going shopping...this is where you notice you have the room in the back. Nice job VW!

Great car

by Mflores302 from Yorktown ny on September 10, 2017

It's an amazing car, I had the 2011 model and they have perfected this one 100 percent. Gas mileage amazing, I drive 65 miles a day and a full tank lasts me a week. Car has tons of room and very comfortable.

Great buy

by Ash1042 from Salt Lake City on December 22, 2017

I owned a Tiguan prior and traded it in for the latest version. It’s a great and reliable car. They have changed the transmission and there is a bit of a lag which is a little disappointing. They’ve also taken away some of my favorite features like the extra storage and adjustable arm rest. That was a little disappointing. Overall I still think it’s a great buy.

The best compact 3-row vehicle on the market

by oronymo from Seattle, WA on February 21, 2018

The 2018 Tiguan, especially the SEL Premium version with LED headlights, is a perfect execution of simple, clean, classic German design without all of the silly and quickly dated flourishes common on its Japanese counterparts. The "Silk Blue" is particularly fetching in this model. The value is exceptional - with just about every feature one could possibly want in a vehicle - all within the value range of $30-40k. In fact, we are continuing to discover new features and conveniences like rain sensing wipers, customizable driver profile memory, active lane assist, customizable driving dynamics, and more. The new Tiguan has the best infotainment system of *any* vehicle we tested - even compared to the fantastic new Volvos - with a large, very slick and responsive glass touchscreen (unlike the slow Volvo interface, or the annoying dial-driven interfaces on Audi and BMW), carplay and android auto, well integrated combination of touchscreen and physical controls for HVAC, and the unique customizable digital cockpit display. But the best, and main, feature that made us select this vehicle over all the other options (especially the Audi Q5) is the optional 3rd row that they managed to fit into a compact 184" long vehicle. They're fantastic for transporting extra kids and very little is sacrificed in cargo space when stowed. The only other options are the Mitsubishi Outlander (ugly, sketchy reliability, uninspiring driving dynamics), Nissan Rogue (incredibly boring in all aspects), Kia Sorento (a good alternative, but bulkier, not as nimble, and surprisingly more expensive), or the Land Rover Discovery Sport (poorer reliability, more expensive, less optimal for city driving). The only disappointment is the engine. It's a retuned VW 2.0T that is supposed to be "more efficient" but it just ends up being slower than the standard 2 liter turbo. Gas mileage is average along with performance numbers. I would have preferred more performance, or at least a better trade off in economy for the decreased performance. The one benefit is that it runs on cheaper regular 87 unleaded (unusual for a small turbo like this). You can also set a default driving dynamics (sport throttle, sport steering, etc.) that is configurable with your driver profile - which helps a lot in making the car feel far more sportier than it's default mode. All in all, we are VERY happy with our purchase.

Loving this car!

by VAMom2017 from Richmond, VA on December 8, 2017

My husband has a 2018 Audi SQ5, and I keep telling him that I don't understand why his car costs twice as much as mine! The Tiguan feels very luxurious and drives smoothly. It has many of the same features of the Audi. I'm glad that the back seat is very roomy, though it's at the expense of the third row which is really only suitable for small children. My one complaint is that due to the spare tire and the third row seating, the cargo space floor is set very high.

Comfort & very good responsive on long ski trip

by CC from Nassau, NY. on February 24, 2018

On our first family annual ski trip of over 5 hrs. One way with the 2018 VW TIGUAN. GREAT COMFORTABLE AND SECURE RESPONSIVE ON THE ROAD. Handling on whining roads to the slopes on the snow car had great traction going vertical and side to side. Believe me when I say that I tested to the fullest.

Great Handling SUV

by Durb from Garrettsville, OH on February 20, 2018

I've had this car for approximately a month now and have been very pleased with the overall handling of the car and it's quiet cabin. There is plenty of room in front and back and has the typical VW controls and steering wheel. I bought this for my wife after I've owned the VW Sportwagen for two years. I love how it handles and it has the same controls as most other VW's including mine. Therefore going from one car to the other doesn't require learning all new control locations. Being an SUV, it's much easier getting in and out of compared to my Sportwagen. I was dissapointed that the Fender audio system in my Sportwagen SE doesn't come on the SE version of the Tiguan. You have to get the SEL Premium for that. And, VW could have added the simple adjustable arm rest in this new Tiguan. That's a little annoying. I owned a 2006 Honda CRV that had close to 300,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I have no complaints about it. I also drove in the new CRV. Honestly, they are very similar but the driving experience of the Tiguan was slightly superior IMHO. Now resale value... not so sure. Overall, I liked the look of the Tiguan and driving it better than the CRV. Power is mediocre in the Tiguan. The eight speed transmission has to run it's course and I feel like it's not quite as peppy as other SUV's but honestly it doesn't bother me because I'm not in a sports car. It's an SUV. Other than the minor complaint about the armrest, there is not too much to complain about. I'll have to wait to take it off-road but I can say the Ohio snow's we've had hasn't slowed the car down at all (Allroad version). Also, the reliability rating is based on one month of use. Haven't had the car long enough to really check that off. However after 1600 miles, we've had zero issues.

Versatile and roomy

by Grandmother from Baltimore City, Maryland on December 4, 2017

I needed a car that was small enough to parallel park in the city on a daily basis and still carry 4 grandchildren plus lots of gear when needed. The rear seat is roomy enough for an adult and with the seat down, holds my camping and Girl Scouting gear. But, when I need to transport the 4 toddlers, I can put in the carseats and go.

out of 5 starsReliability

2018 Tiguan SEL 4MOTION

by Bill & Denise from Chardon Ohio on March 5, 2018

My wife and I test drove many different cuv & suv from many different manufactures. We settled on a Tiguan sel. Quality of Fit & finish, materials used, technologies, and ease of use are Great! Interior room and quiet cabin were excellent. And visibility is Great! VW hit a homerun with the 2018 Tiguan.

Love it!

by Annie from Lookout Mountain, GA on February 20, 2018

We traded our Chrysler Van for this little jewel. I have back concerns and was worried it wouldn't be comfortable on long trips. I was very wrong. It's comfortable, plenty of leg room, little road noise and we love the interior. The heated seats heat in a flash! I'm so glad we bought this SUV.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 12