1996 850

4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Volvos Go Forever!

by Volvo Lover from New Hampshire on April 10, 2007

I own and drive a 1995 Volvo standard Wagon. it has 261,000 miles on it and we've "loved"/"abused" it to the full extent of the law yet it continues to run with minor repairs needed. Even at 261,000 these cars are still in great shape if they're kept up to date with repairs and other things of that sort. i would definately get another 850.

233,500 miles and still running great!

by Super_Car_Fan from Santa Monica, CA on September 2, 2011

I really recommend the 850's/S70's/V70's, great cars, reliable and safe. If you can avoid all AWD's (all years) and turbos before 1997 (just less maintenance to worry about). I bought a used 1995 850 turbo and put nearly 100,000 miles on it! It runs great and really solid for having 233,500 miles on it's engine. Other than a few minor kinda-cheap interior designs I think this car is well made. I've been in three accidents and this car has kept me safe and still drives, it's practically indestructible! Make sure you have a great mechanic, I got screwed a few times (even through the dealership), if you have a great mechanic this car shouldn't be a lot of money to maintain. I would buy another Volvo, great cars!

Love love LOVE my 850

by Volvo4Life from Boston, MA on February 11, 2014

I've owned my 1996 850 Wagon for going on seven years. It was my very first car, purchased from a man who meticulously maintained it so he set me up quite nicely. It's got a little over 180,000 miles on it and aside from a few things here and there, drives like a dream. Not only does it drive well, it. Is. Safe. My first few years of owning my 850 I was a typical teenage driver who had some learning to do and have had my share of accidents in this thing, but it keeps chugging along. I've never heard of a car that's been in five (yes, five) accidents and still runs perfectly. Granted they were mostly fender-benders but there were two where the Volvo was not looking great but it came back good as new! The key for owning an 850 though is having a good mechanic and really maintaining the car. This isn't one of those cars you can just let do it's thing. As soon as you notice something isn't right, get it fixed because if the issue gets worse, you're in for one hefty repair bill. You also do need a mechanic who knows what he or she is doing. A mechanic that wasn't my regular guy once fixed a minor issue in my car and it turns out that while he didn't do fatal damage, he didn't fix it correctly and the same part had to basically be dismantled, reconstructed, and put back in. So make sure your mechanic actually knows Volvos. Also, the brakes will squeal. It's a high-pitched squeal that is not necessarily an indicator that they're dangerously low. Other Volvo owners have noticed the same thing in their Volvos, and it seems to be worse in wet weather.

safest car to drive

by volvo for life guy from rochester, NH on December 1, 2011

I was invloved in a serious high speed car accident, the car literally was crumpled up and air bags deployed, drivers side window glass shattered and I was able to walk away from the accident with no serious injuries. I am now in the search for another volvo, wouldn't drive any other vehicle. Before the accident, I owned the car for 3 years and only performed regular maintance. The car never broke down and was very reliable.

the best thing in engineering ever bult

by losvolvo from northumberland on October 29, 2014

I have read all the other reviews and have been disappointed you all have been buying cars that have a good mileage on and have probably not been looked after ,in the last 15 years i have owned many of these cars in all denominations from the 2.0 liter to the r and t5r I still to this day cant find a car that fits what I require I am an engineer and I know what works the whole car is over built both in style and engineering so stop winging about having to repair it

I would purchase another

by volvo1996 from Philadelphia, PA on September 29, 2011

I have put some money into maintenance, brakes, front axle, ball joints, tie rods and a few other repairs related to maintenance. The auto is 15 years old with 101,000 miles on it so this is normal stuff. Have yet to replace the timing belt, I should. This car starts every time, hums like it is new, power is okay and plenty for me, however some may want more. 20 mpg city and highway on regular gas the car holds its value, and everything works, sort of boxy looking but it is a really good car.

Volvo for Life

by Adam M from Millbrook, IL on October 16, 2007

This is my second Volvo in 5 years. I would never buy another from another car company. The first car( 97' 850 T5), which i totoled, was awsome. I now have a 96' 850 Turbo Wagon. Its got a few very minor issues but it does the job when i'm going between school, work, and baseball.

THE BRICK

by The sage racer from Santa Monica, CA on April 8, 2015

Bought it new in 1996 for my wife and the only major problem has been a broken headlight wiper. Depsite its boxy looks (it's a wagon) it's great for hauling things because the trunk is MASSIVE. Fuel economy isn't great, however a comparable midsize sedan could be a lot worse. It's also safer than any other car for the price and the interior is still tight and has aged very well. It's also surprisingly quick and comfortable on the freeway, but the brakes are a bit squeaky. Overall is an amazing car, I'll NEVER sell it.

Do not make like this anymore

by Gary from Fistown on May 6, 2017

What a car, can last a lifetime if taken care of, they don't rust, keep up with the maintenance and enjoy this car, built like a tank.

Great car but repairs are pricey at dealerships

by Teenager's Dad from Boston, MA on January 24, 2010

We bought our 1997 850 T5 (Turbo) three years ago with 50,000 miles - now have over 110,000 miles - and its still going strong. We now use it as a "kids" car - which they drive to school and to their various afterschool activities. 1. Very fast - very comfortable -- and of course, very safe. Handles well, has a great heater and handles well in the snow. I still enjoy driving this car -- really dispelled my impression that Volvos were boring, slow-moving slugs. 2. Despite its advanced age the car has been reasonably reliable - far better than any domestically built car I've owned recently. Mostly little things have needed repair. I've been able to do most of the small repairs myself. With the assistance of a local junk yard, replacement parts have been cheap -- and reasonably available. Items needing repair have included replacing the driver's visor, dash light bulbs, hatch struts, etc. 3. For more involved repairs, forget using the dealer -- way too expensive for both parts and labor. The car, however, is relatively easy to work on - and can be handled by your local independent mechanic. There are also a number of websites where you can purchase new parts inexpensively. Using these two strategies, I've managed to keep the car looking good and running very reliably. 4. The weaknesses of the are w850/V70 are well known -- but all-in-all are not problematical. Do a little research at some of the enthusiast websites before you buy. Problem areas include the A/C (leaks in the evaporator) and suspension (worn-out strut mounts that can chatter...). 5. Low-mileage turbo models are hard to find -- be cautious of the high mileage turbos as these tend to be driven hard. Overall -- a great car. I have had no regrets about buying it.

1 2