2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews

4.1
Average based on 15 reviews

A Solid Swede

by from PA on October 3, 2006

We purchased our V70 new, through Volvo's overseas delivery program. The car has been a solid, generally reliable performer for the last 6-plus years. Exterior styling is traditionally and unmistakably Volvo, but with enough rounded edges to soften the old "box-on-a-box" look of earlier years. The car has an unusual 5-cylinder engine that provides plenty of oomph to kick this midsize wagon onto the freeway. Heated leather seats provide comfort for long trips - we've done up to 10 hours at a stretch - with reasonable room for five. The car came with side airbags, atypical for this vintage, and even the rear center seat is equipped with a 3-point seatbelt. Other safety features that have proven themselves include AWD that makes the car feel like it's on rails in bad weather. The body is tank-like - a couple of years ago we were rear-ended by someone more interested in their cell phone than in driving (!). The wagon suffered only minor damage while the other car's front end accordioned. The downsides have mostly been minor, such as pesky electrical problems that required a couple of dealer visits and a recall to correct, and a cup holder capable of launching your coffee into the rear seat if you press the wrong release button. The one serious and costly problem we faced was failure of part of the emissions control system, which did leave a bit of a bad taste. On balance, the car has been what you'd expect of a Swedish product: well-constructed, no unpleasant surprises, advanced without being "bleeding edge". There may be another one in our future.

Exactly What I Was Expecting

by from Atlanta, GA on November 17, 2010

I have wanted a V70 for quite some time. I do not live with car payments, and I did not have too much to spend. I ended up purchasing a 2000 for about $2500. The car was not in exceptional shape when I got it and I knew, being a Volvo, that repairs are not cheap. I will say that nothing new has gone wrong with it since I got it, just the problems I knew it already had. The main thing to remember about Volvos (at least prior to 2005) is that if you take care of them, they will run forever. But taking care of them is not cheap.

Good car, but buy carefully.

by from New York, NY on September 3, 2008

We bought our CPO v70XC SE with 53K on it and put another grueling 50K on it in 3 years. It was a loyal, strong car that did most everything well. It was subjected to pretty harsh driving—stop & go, heavy snow, extreme cold, extreme heat, and stored outdoors for almost all of its 3 years. These cars tend to fail pretty consistently in certain areas, so finding a good one and keeping it up is straightforward. Check the Electronic Throttle Module as the driveshaft. If I had it to do over again, I would also consider a V70 FWD. AWD is nice, but it's more expensive upfront, thirstier, less reliable. Nonetheless, the car we drive today is yet another XC70.

my fourth Volvo--

by from Medford, N. J. on November 19, 2007

Just don't have to take it back to the dealer after, the warrantry has run out. Find a good mechanic near your home by word of mouth. Very expensive repairs by dealers!!!

Comfort and solid reliability

by from UT on March 12, 2007

We bough our 2000 V70 SE wagon and have never been happier. Volvo knows how to make cars & seats, I could drive across the country and sleep in these seats and not worry about having a mechanical problem. The sound system is FABULOUS with the speakers being up higher on the doors than other cars. Just keep the oil changed and don't drive it off a cliff and these things keep running forever. "Old Reliable!" Our family has had many Volvos over the years and will continue to have many more.

Safety

by from Va on November 12, 2012

This car saved my life. From a major highway accident, this car faired the best. Not all involved made it out.

Good old swedish tank

by from Germany on July 31, 2013

This is a third vehicle for us, we have two other newer Volvos. This car looks great und drives like its new, the comfort is very nice and the seats are fantastic. For its age, its a very safe car.

Spacious, stylish, safe and RELIABLE

by from N.Chicago, IL on March 13, 2007

2000 Volvo V70 's are built well and ride like a dream. I love the look and feel of my V70. I haven't had one problem with it. It is roomy for it's size and has great hauling capacity(people or otherwise) for a wagon. The powerful 5 cylinder engine scoots up any hill easily(non-turbo even). I chose the easier maintained Front Wheel Drive (FWD) W/NO turbo version of the V70 because I wanted simplicity and I sure chose right. It is a fabulous car. These things come with all the bells and whistles too. Volvo knows luxury and style.

I love Volvos

by from Calgary Alberta on August 24, 2007

This is my third Volvo, my second second hand one and I do love it. Compared to my Mercedes 380 SEC it is a bit of a tank, in a good way, too. The only real issue for me is that the driver's seat does not provide any cushy place to put your elbows. The door has hard space and the middle cushion is too low to reach with my arm.

The last real Volvo?

by from Mahopac, NY on August 15, 2006

We bought ours with 45K on it when it was 5 years old. As a CPO car, it was still covered under the factory warranty, so that was a bonus. (And it's a very good warranty. Not one of those warranties where nothing is covered.) After 1.5 years of very hard driving and over almost 30K covered, it's been exceptional -- reliable, reasonably economical, comfortable, great a/c, very strong body. It's what I always imagined a Volvo to be. My complaints are minor: the motor is relatively harsh at higher rpms, the fusebox can get dirty and cause the electrical system to act up, the radio reception isn't the greatest, and the cup holder is prone to breaking. On the plus side, the dreaded Electronic Throttle Module that is prone to premature failure is covered under the warranty for up to 100K. Good move on Volvo's part. Overall, I'm very impressed. It's a very solid, sober, workmanlike vehicle that I'm proud to own. The warranty shows a lot of integrity. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.