2000 Volvo V 70

Very reliable car. Very comfortable ride.

by from Durham, NC on July 18, 2017

The Volvo V70 is a very comfortable ride and good handling. Has more than enough pick up to get onto the highway. Great for trips or moving (have use it several times to move.) Only drawback repairs tend to be costly.

Dependable car

by from California on May 25, 2017

Great family car, especially with small children. This year body style & taillights are stylish. Easy to drive and very dependable car.

Longest lasting car IVe seen in years.

by from RIchmond, Va on March 30, 2015

I bought my V70 XC with the wood grain steeringwheel from the original owner a while back with 300,000 miles. I got it relatively cheap. Car was in pretty good shape. It developed a oil leak that was cheap to fix. A radiator hose and front shocks and here I am at 314,000. No major break downs. Just tires and such. Avoid the model with low pros. Bumps tend to be really harsh in the city.

Good old swedish tank

by from Germany on July 31, 2013

This is a third vehicle for us, we have two other newer Volvos. This car looks great und drives like its new, the comfort is very nice and the seats are fantastic. For its age, its a very safe car.

Volvo Nut rates the 2000 V70

by from Decatur Ga. 30032 on March 18, 2013

I love Volvos...when my '92 740 wagon died I had to make a decision, so I looked for another wagon like mine (740 or 940) and couldn't find a satisfactory replacement. I am a fan of rear-wheel-drive but Volvo doesn't offer them now. I found a 2000 V70 wagon with 154,000 miles and bought it from an individual for $3100 about a month ago. For me, it was a real step up to a luxury auto. It has a lot of pep when accelerating and I love the styling; I think I found a great car that will serve me well.

Safety

by from Va on November 12, 2012

This car saved my life. From a major highway accident, this car faired the best. Not all involved made it out.

No more Volvo's for me

by from Ct on February 11, 2011

I have 2000 awd wagon v70 xc. Worst car I have ever owned. In last year I have replaced drive shaft, electronic throttle system, driving rack and now my transmission is going. These are very expensive repairs on top of brakes, tires (if you have awd and lose a tire note ALL 4 have to be replaced), and battery I replaced in last year. Sunroof drips, key gets stuck regularly in ignition, interior is falling apart. This car came from my family and was well maintained by them and me and driven with care. 2 nd Volvo wagon for me. First one had multitude of problems as well. If car has more than 100k for miles I highly recommend you do your research.

Exactly What I Was Expecting

by from Atlanta, GA on November 17, 2010

I have wanted a V70 for quite some time. I do not live with car payments, and I did not have too much to spend. I ended up purchasing a 2000 for about $2500. The car was not in exceptional shape when I got it and I knew, being a Volvo, that repairs are not cheap. I will say that nothing new has gone wrong with it since I got it, just the problems I knew it already had. The main thing to remember about Volvos (at least prior to 2005) is that if you take care of them, they will run forever. But taking care of them is not cheap.

volvo v70, worst car I've had

by from 06473 on March 23, 2010

Nothing but problems, car fell apart and final straw was transmission burning out with 137000 miles on it. Dealer wanted $3800 to replace transmission. Radio didn't work, constantly had antifreeze leaks, brakes were terrible and emergency brake never worked right. Had to replace crank angle sensor, oxygen sensors, water pump, a/c condensor, you name it, it went bad. L-E-M-O-N

Not so solid anymore

by from PA on November 3, 2009

About a year after my original review the car's problems started to go from minor and annoying to serious and frustrating. Despite regular dealer maintenance it's suffered two more emission-control system failures, a burst coolant reservoir that stranded us 200 miles from home, and most recently the dreaded ETM collapse. The ETM has been the last straw because it failed only 3 weeks after the government-mandated warranty expired and cost over $1500 to replace. Volvo refuses to consider any compromise on the repair bill even though ETM failures have been a critical problem with V70's for several years. Specifically, the ETM can fail without warning and throw the car into "limp home" mode where its speed is limited to 20 mph. We were lucky because ours failed on a local street but according to NHTSA some V70s have gone catatonic at superhighway speeds! Our old 245DL lived up to the Volvo legends so we had expected similar reliability out of the V70. I'm kicking myself for believing the mechanics' assurances that it's still a solid car, and not having cut my losses earlier. I now no longer feel safe driving it, so looking for a replacement - and it won't be another Volvo.