2000 V70

3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

A Solid Swede

by JayKay from PA on October 3, 2006

We purchased our V70 new, through Volvo's overseas delivery program. The car has been a solid, generally reliable performer for the last 6-plus years. Exterior styling is traditionally and unmistakably Volvo, but with enough rounded edges to soften the old "box-on-a-box" look of earlier years. The car has an unusual 5-cylinder engine that provides plenty of oomph to kick this midsize wagon onto the freeway. Heated leather seats provide comfort for long trips - we've done up to 10 hours at a stretch - with reasonable room for five. The car came with side airbags, atypical for this vintage, and even the rear center seat is equipped with a 3-point seatbelt. Other safety features that have proven themselves include AWD that makes the car feel like it's on rails in bad weather. The body is tank-like - a couple of years ago we were rear-ended by someone more interested in their cell phone than in driving (!). The wagon suffered only minor damage while the other car's front end accordioned. The downsides have mostly been minor, such as pesky electrical problems that required a couple of dealer visits and a recall to correct, and a cup holder capable of launching your coffee into the rear seat if you press the wrong release button. The one serious and costly problem we faced was failure of part of the emissions control system, which did leave a bit of a bad taste. On balance, the car has been what you'd expect of a Swedish product: well-constructed, no unpleasant surprises, advanced without being "bleeding edge". There may be another one in our future.

Good car, but buy carefully.

by Car Nut from New York, NY on September 3, 2008

We bought our CPO v70XC SE with 53K on it and put another grueling 50K on it in 3 years. It was a loyal, strong car that did most everything well. It was subjected to pretty harsh driving?stop & go, heavy snow, extreme cold, extreme heat, and stored outdoors for almost all of its 3 years. These cars tend to fail pretty consistently in certain areas, so finding a good one and keeping it up is straightforward. Check the Electronic Throttle Module as the driveshaft. If I had it to do over again, I would also consider a V70 FWD. AWD is nice, but it's more expensive upfront, thirstier, less reliable. Nonetheless, the car we drive today is yet another XC70.

Comfort and solid reliability

by Runner from UT on March 12, 2007

We bough our 2000 V70 SE wagon and have never been happier. Volvo knows how to make cars & seats, I could drive across the country and sleep in these seats and not worry about having a mechanical problem. The sound system is FABULOUS with the speakers being up higher on the doors than other cars. Just keep the oil changed and don't drive it off a cliff and these things keep running forever. "Old Reliable!" Our family has had many Volvos over the years and will continue to have many more.

The last real Volvo?

by Knickerbocker from Mahopac, NY on August 15, 2006

We bought ours with 45K on it when it was 5 years old. As a CPO car, it was still covered under the factory warranty, so that was a bonus. (And it's a very good warranty. Not one of those warranties where nothing is covered.) After 1.5 years of very hard driving and over almost 30K covered, it's been exceptional -- reliable, reasonably economical, comfortable, great a/c, very strong body. It's what I always imagined a Volvo to be. My complaints are minor: the motor is relatively harsh at higher rpms, the fusebox can get dirty and cause the electrical system to act up, the radio reception isn't the greatest, and the cup holder is prone to breaking. On the plus side, the dreaded Electronic Throttle Module that is prone to premature failure is covered under the warranty for up to 100K. Good move on Volvo's part. Overall, I'm very impressed. It's a very solid, sober, workmanlike vehicle that I'm proud to own. The warranty shows a lot of integrity. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Volvo Nut rates the 2000 V70

by Volvo Nut from Decatur Ga. 30032 on March 18, 2013

I love Volvos...when my '92 740 wagon died I had to make a decision, so I looked for another wagon like mine (740 or 940) and couldn't find a satisfactory replacement. I am a fan of rear-wheel-drive but Volvo doesn't offer them now. I found a 2000 V70 wagon with 154,000 miles and bought it from an individual for $3100 about a month ago. For me, it was a real step up to a luxury auto. It has a lot of pep when accelerating and I love the styling; I think I found a great car that will serve me well.

Safety

by Saved_by_volvo from Va on November 12, 2012

This car saved my life. From a major highway accident, this car faired the best. Not all involved made it out.

I love Volvos

by Volvo fan from Calgary Alberta on August 24, 2007

This is my third Volvo, my second second hand one and I do love it. Compared to my Mercedes 380 SEC it is a bit of a tank, in a good way, too. The only real issue for me is that the driver's seat does not provide any cushy place to put your elbows. The door has hard space and the middle cushion is too low to reach with my arm.

Very reliable car. Very comfortable ride.

by Anna Mae from Durham, NC on July 18, 2017

The Volvo V70 is a very comfortable ride and good handling. Has more than enough pick up to get onto the highway. Great for trips or moving (have use it several times to move.) Only drawback repairs tend to be costly.

Longest lasting car IVe seen in years.

by Vastylezzz from RIchmond, Va on March 30, 2015

I bought my V70 XC with the wood grain steeringwheel from the original owner a while back with 300,000 miles. I got it relatively cheap. Car was in pretty good shape. It developed a oil leak that was cheap to fix. A radiator hose and front shocks and here I am at 314,000. No major break downs. Just tires and such. Avoid the model with low pros. Bumps tend to be really harsh in the city.

Spacious, stylish, safe and RELIABLE

by John from N.Chicago, IL on March 13, 2007

2000 Volvo V70 's are built well and ride like a dream. I love the look and feel of my V70. I haven't had one problem with it. It is roomy for it's size and has great hauling capacity(people or otherwise) for a wagon. The powerful 5 cylinder engine scoots up any hill easily(non-turbo even). I chose the easier maintained Front Wheel Drive (FWD) W/NO turbo version of the V70 because I wanted simplicity and I sure chose right. It is a fabulous car. These things come with all the bells and whistles too. Volvo knows luxury and style.

1 2