NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2004 XC70

2004 Volvo XC70

2004 Volvo XC70

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2004 Volvo XC70?

250,000 miles and still going strong

by Cape Cod Nana from Cape Cod, MA on Wed May 18 2016

I bought this car new, currently have 250,000 miles with the original transmission. The car has really nice lines. The ride is smooth and solid. In emergency situations - quick C turns to avoid cars running a light - the car has excellent stability. It runs well on long highway trips at 79 mph, is comfortable for long rides - great back support and a seat heater, sound system is great. It handles really well on snow or ice - has the manual switch for manual transmission control for heavy winter driving as well as the w mode for general winter driving. The car is heavy enough to back a 17' boat down a steep hill into the bay and pull it out again. Made at least ten 7 hour drives with car and roof fully loaded and car was not underpowered. Exterior of car still looks great with no rust. Have had some rust issues underneath with tie rods and bearings due to partially submerging the muffler in salt water while loading the boat. Replaced the pressure control valve (PCV) about 224,000 miles. Generally the car has been extremely reliable. Important for Volvos - change the oil every 3500 miles - the car will love you. This is our 5th Volvo. We had a 240 wagon with 235,000 miles that a nanny took into a tree at 30 mph - bumper on the roof but not a scratch on her! And our 850 GLT wagon had 235,000 miles when we hit a deer at 70 mph. No injuries even though car was totaled from roof frame damage. We put all our driving-aged kids in old 240 wagons and sedans to protect them from themselves. I love this car!

Just bought my first Volvo 2 days ago.

by Realtorbill from Chicago, IL on Mon Jan 23 2017

Mine is a 2004 XC 70 and it is one impressively outstanding machine. I am already looking for another one for my wife. I have had virtually every American make vehicle and a few Japanese imports but none of them compare to this car, With mileage at 148,000, it runs like it just rolled off of the assembly line and handles like a rocket sled on rails...I just regret never buying one earlier in life.

Solid All Purpose Vehicle

by SailorGuy from Easton, MA on Fri Nov 30 2007

I drive about 25K per year and have owned my XC for 2 years now. The car delivers a very confident ride, is plenty peppy, handles very well and the seating comfort is legendary. Pirelli tires are grippers and provide a smooth ride; they just don't last that long (about 40K) which I don't find to be a problem since tires are a marginal cost for this type of vehicle. We're a Volvo family having had a couple 240 wagons, a couple V70s and my XC. The XC's engine is a sweet piece of work. BTW, the 2002 V70 we have is also a great touring car and holds the road on high speed turns quite well. Biggest drawback I've found is odd-shaped storage compartments in driver's area and no place to keep a simple thing like a tissue box. I've gotten over that! Great placement of the cupholders, too! I would buy another XC in a heartbeat.

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD

by Volvo Enthusiast from Chicagoland on Wed Jul 05 2006

The Volvo XC70 AWD is the perfect car! It has awesome styling and lines, giving the driver the feeling of driving a sporty sedan. Its comfort and features rank among the top luxury cars, without the pompous image. It drives so smoothly and quietly, and it seals out outside noise to create a relaxing drive, no matter where you go. It has so many practical features, it is ideal for a growing family, long trips, a car full of friends or tons of cargo. No one who drives this car feels let down!

Great college/ backroad car

by Volvoforlife2 from on Tue Apr 18 2017

Recently, I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC70 Cross Contry from Volvo of Lisle (great dealer!) as my first car. I needed it for college and going, literally, a"cross the country", and from what I have seen, it is a great car. The performance is good...the 2.5 I5 has great acceleration. The steering is ok, suspension is forgiving, and quietness is perfect. Of course, the safety features are excellent, it being a Volvo. I would highly recommend this car whether you want to take a hike in the middle of nowhere, or go to the big city, the Volvo XC70 delivers.

Volvo XC70 best station wagon

by pbinCA from Pleasanton CA on Wed Aug 23 2017

I used to drive a 2006 Volvo V70 wagon w/ 120,000 mi.. I was annoyed by how bumpy the ride was with thin tires, and only 5" clearance off the ground. I started looking at the XC70, which is the same wagon body but 8.5" of clearance and fat tires for more cushioning. I bought a 2004 XC70 with 103,000 miles, and am felling terrific about my purchase. I enjoy being up about 4" higher on the road, and the 2.5L turbo is peppier, and gets about the same mileage (27 hwy, 19 city). This was a 1-owner, dealer-maintained car. I got it from a used car dealer for what I considered a bargain.

Wish they still made cars as good as this one!

by Volvo Roadtripper from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Oct 31 2017

We loved this car. Fantastic winter car - AWD & great road clearance. Best cargo space in a car style (39 sq ft w/ all seats up!). Bigger than most SUVs today. 2.5Turbo has remarkable pick up and gas mileage ~ 21/26 is a good a newer cars today. Handling is superior to almost all SUVs and handles like a car (because it is!). Wonderful family car - and designed with that in mind with many built in features (and of course known for Volvo safety). Volvo 'boxy' styling had to grown on us - but it is clear, the huge interior space benefits from it. Best of all -- it has been highly reliable and extremely good cost of ownership, with mostly only regular maintenance - which we have kept up with and it has served us well.

Back in a Volvo after 13 years!

by Helga the Volvo from Minnesota on Wed Dec 23 2015

We were happy to find a used XC70 to use as a utility vehicle. We had a 1987 240 Wagon that we owned for 17 years and really enjoyed getting back into one. The car seems to have more interior room than others that we tried, and so far we are finding that we feel at home again.

Super comfortable and fun to drive

by Taximom from South Windsor ct on Sat Sep 22 2018

Comfort and safety with good gas mileage and AWD. What more can you ask for. Feels like an expensive car when you drive it even now.

Great safe family wagon, beats SUVs

by Sam from Maryland on Wed Apr 04 2018

XC70 Wagon is a great and safe family car, it beats many SUVs , in terms of hauling people and stuffs. And for the 1% of chance for light offroad, the AWD (if it still works) can be a good help. Nothing is perfect, the volvo engine PCV design is bad, it will get clogged and bust engine cam seal, start leaking oil, around 80k miles range. and my XC70 has been burning left lowbeam bulb crazy, I need to replace it about every 2 years! Still a great family car.

1 2 3