2004 XC70

2004 Volvo XC70

2004 Volvo XC70

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2004 Volvo XC70?

250,000 miles and still going strong

by Cape Cod Nana from Cape Cod, MA on Wed May 18 2016

I bought this car new, currently have 250,000 miles with the original transmission. The car has really nice lines. The ride is smooth and solid. In emergency situations - quick C turns to avoid cars running a light - the car has excellent stability. It runs well on long highway trips at 79 mph, is comfortable for long rides - great back support and a seat heater, sound system is great. It handles really well on snow or ice - has the manual switch for manual transmission control for heavy winter driving as well as the w mode for general winter driving. The car is heavy enough to back a 17' boat down a steep hill into the bay and pull it out again. Made at least ten 7 hour drives with car and roof fully loaded and car was not underpowered. Exterior of car still looks great with no rust. Have had some rust issues underneath with tie rods and bearings due to partially submerging the muffler in salt water while loading the boat. Replaced the pressure control valve (PCV) about 224,000 miles. Generally the car has been extremely reliable. Important for Volvos - change the oil every 3500 miles - the car will love you. This is our 5th Volvo. We had a 240 wagon with 235,000 miles that a nanny took into a tree at 30 mph - bumper on the roof but not a scratch on her! And our 850 GLT wagon had 235,000 miles when we hit a deer at 70 mph. No injuries even though car was totaled from roof frame damage. We put all our driving-aged kids in old 240 wagons and sedans to protect them from themselves. I love this car!

Just bought my first Volvo 2 days ago.

by Realtorbill from Chicago, IL on Mon Jan 23 2017

Mine is a 2004 XC 70 and it is one impressively outstanding machine. I am already looking for another one for my wife. I have had virtually every American make vehicle and a few Japanese imports but none of them compare to this car, With mileage at 148,000, it runs like it just rolled off of the assembly line and handles like a rocket sled on rails...I just regret never buying one earlier in life.

Solid All Purpose Vehicle

by SailorGuy from Easton, MA on Fri Nov 30 2007

I drive about 25K per year and have owned my XC for 2 years now. The car delivers a very confident ride, is plenty peppy, handles very well and the seating comfort is legendary. Pirelli tires are grippers and provide a smooth ride; they just don't last that long (about 40K) which I don't find to be a problem since tires are a marginal cost for this type of vehicle. We're a Volvo family having had a couple 240 wagons, a couple V70s and my XC. The XC's engine is a sweet piece of work. BTW, the 2002 V70 we have is also a great touring car and holds the road on high speed turns quite well. Biggest drawback I've found is odd-shaped storage compartments in driver's area and no place to keep a simple thing like a tissue box. I've gotten over that! Great placement of the cupholders, too! I would buy another XC in a heartbeat.

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD

by Volvo Enthusiast from Chicagoland on Wed Jul 05 2006

The Volvo XC70 AWD is the perfect car! It has awesome styling and lines, giving the driver the feeling of driving a sporty sedan. Its comfort and features rank among the top luxury cars, without the pompous image. It drives so smoothly and quietly, and it seals out outside noise to create a relaxing drive, no matter where you go. It has so many practical features, it is ideal for a growing family, long trips, a car full of friends or tons of cargo. No one who drives this car feels let down!

Great college/ backroad car

by Volvoforlife2 from on Tue Apr 18 2017

Recently, I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC70 Cross Contry from Volvo of Lisle (great dealer!) as my first car. I needed it for college and going, literally, a"cross the country", and from what I have seen, it is a great car. The performance is good...the 2.5 I5 has great acceleration. The steering is ok, suspension is forgiving, and quietness is perfect. Of course, the safety features are excellent, it being a Volvo. I would highly recommend this car whether you want to take a hike in the middle of nowhere, or go to the big city, the Volvo XC70 delivers.

Volvo XC70 best station wagon

by pbinCA from Pleasanton CA on Wed Aug 23 2017

I used to drive a 2006 Volvo V70 wagon w/ 120,000 mi.. I was annoyed by how bumpy the ride was with thin tires, and only 5" clearance off the ground. I started looking at the XC70, which is the same wagon body but 8.5" of clearance and fat tires for more cushioning. I bought a 2004 XC70 with 103,000 miles, and am felling terrific about my purchase. I enjoy being up about 4" higher on the road, and the 2.5L turbo is peppier, and gets about the same mileage (27 hwy, 19 city). This was a 1-owner, dealer-maintained car. I got it from a used car dealer for what I considered a bargain.

There are better values

by R Nelson from Myrtle Beach, SC on Sat Sep 24 2011

I purchased this car new and I had no problems until 67,500 miles then "Drive Angle Gear Assembly" had to be replaced. Two weeks later "Blower Motor and Power Stage for Blower Motor" replaced. I like the car but maintenance can be expensive.

Does not recommend this car!!

Wish they still made cars as good as this one!

by Volvo Roadtripper from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Oct 31 2017

We loved this car. Fantastic winter car - AWD & great road clearance. Best cargo space in a car style (39 sq ft w/ all seats up!). Bigger than most SUVs today. 2.5Turbo has remarkable pick up and gas mileage ~ 21/26 is a good a newer cars today. Handling is superior to almost all SUVs and handles like a car (because it is!). Wonderful family car - and designed with that in mind with many built in features (and of course known for Volvo safety). Volvo 'boxy' styling had to grown on us - but it is clear, the huge interior space benefits from it. Best of all -- it has been highly reliable and extremely good cost of ownership, with mostly only regular maintenance - which we have kept up with and it has served us well.

Back in a Volvo after 13 years!

by Helga the Volvo from Minnesota on Wed Dec 23 2015

We were happy to find a used XC70 to use as a utility vehicle. We had a 1987 240 Wagon that we owned for 17 years and really enjoyed getting back into one. The car seems to have more interior room than others that we tried, and so far we are finding that we feel at home again.

Beefy Wagon with Power and Style

by Relatively new Volvo Owner from Rockville, MD on Wed Nov 16 2011

I've always admired the styling of the Volvo XC70 but it wasn't until I recently purchased a used 2004 model that I understood why Volvo fans keep coming back for more. Make no mistake about it, this is not an underpowered station wagon designed for the grocery store run. It has a 2.5l turbo charged engine that offers plenty of power and even though the car is relatively heavy, it can accelerate like a Porsche when the need arises. If you are used to V8 powered SUVs, then you will love this car. Even though it is a wagon, the tough looking exterior makes it look beefy and therefore, less family hauler'esque. The front skid plate is plastic but a tough plastic at least. The overall build quality is extremely solid with heavy clunking doors and sturdy looking wheels. The long roof rails on top mean you can put anything from 9 bikes (I've actually seen this) to two kayaks and anything in between. The interior space is also impressive with a massive rear area and several hidden compartments. The XC70 drives well but I would not call it a performance car. It feels more like a type of truck with torquey acceleration and somewhat vague steering. It performs best when traveling at speed on a highway or plowing through rain soaked streets. Speaking of which and depending on the model, there is a "w" button on the shifter console that you can press which puts the car in wet and/or snow mode. This means even mashing on the pedal will cause the car to accelerate more slowly and use more of its traction controlled AWD. It's a neat feature. Additionally, my Volvo is loaded so it has all sorts of nifty features such as heated seats, an air filtration system, sunroof, rain sensing wipers (they even detect snow), built-in child booster seats and my favorite; a rear fog light. The stereo is a bit dated and there is no bluetooth but such things are not my highest priority in a used 2004 car. Perhaps the best part of the XC70 is the plush interior. Mine has leather seats and a nice thick telescoping steering wheel which is great for tall people. The trim quality is typical, solid Volvo and still looks good in 2011. There is plenty of room in the back and the rear seats fold flat for large cargo. Overall, I would highly recommend this car. True, maintenance can be pricey but mine is still under it's limited warranty and so far, I have not had any issues. Before buying used, I would make sure the car has had regular service as it does need software updates from time to time and plenty of TLC for the turbo charger. Also, I would recommend buying from a Volvo dealer in order to get roadside assistance and regular maintenance from folks who truly understand Volvos (there seem to be so many references and maintenance updates). This car is a keeper.

1 2 3