2004 Volvo XC70 consumer reviews

$34,810 starting MSRP
side view of 2004 XC70 Volvo
Explore the 2004 Volvo XC70

Super comfortable and fun to drive

Comfort and safety with good gas mileage and AWD. What more can you ask for. Feels like an expensive car when you drive it even now.

Best Car Ever

Ours is an original Sweedish 2004 XC wagon. Safety is a given, comfort, power and of those heated seats! Love this car. 63 years old and this is the last car I will ever own. 170,000 and still going strong.

Great safe family wagon, beats SUVs

XC70 Wagon is a great and safe family car, it beats many SUVs , in terms of hauling people and stuffs. And for the 1% of chance for light offroad, the AWD (if it still works) can be a good help. Nothing is perfect, the volvo engine PCV design is bad, it will get clogged and bust engine cam seal, start leaking oil, around 80k miles range. and my XC70 has been burning left lowbeam bulb crazy, I need to replace it about every 2 years! Still a great family car.

Reliable and Roomy

I've owned my 2004 XC70 for 2 years and put 40000 miles on an already 190,000 mile vehicle, and it's still going strong. It has not had many functional problems, which I think speaks volumes for this old beauty. She still has a modern look, and the aftermarket radio allows me to listen to my audiobooks without a hitch. She rides well and all the benches fold down when I need to transport large items. 10/10

Wish they still made cars as good as this one!

We loved this car. Fantastic winter car - AWD & great road clearance. Best cargo space in a car style (39 sq ft w/ all seats up!). Bigger than most SUVs today. 2.5Turbo has remarkable pick up and gas mileage ~ 21/26 is a good a newer cars today. Handling is superior to almost all SUVs and handles like a car (because it is!). Wonderful family car - and designed with that in mind with many built in features (and of course known for Volvo safety). Volvo 'boxy' styling had to grown on us - but it is clear, the huge interior space benefits from it. Best of all -- it has been highly reliable and extremely good cost of ownership, with mostly only regular maintenance - which we have kept up with and it has served us well.

2.7

Looks good but too many issues

Just got this car with 110k miles. Drives fine but already has power lock problems. Exterior rubber trims are deteriorating. I have cars older than this that are in much better shape.

Volvo XC70 best station wagon

I used to drive a 2006 Volvo V70 wagon w/ 120,000 mi.. I was annoyed by how bumpy the ride was with thin tires, and only 5" clearance off the ground. I started looking at the XC70, which is the same wagon body but 8.5" of clearance and fat tires for more cushioning. I bought a 2004 XC70 with 103,000 miles, and am felling terrific about my purchase. I enjoy being up about 4" higher on the road, and the 2.5L turbo is peppier, and gets about the same mileage (27 hwy, 19 city). This was a 1-owner, dealer-maintained car. I got it from a used car dealer for what I considered a bargain.

3.0

Electrical Problems

I have owned 3 Volvo's. The last 2 are a 2004 and 2007 xc-70's. Both cars have been plagued with a series of electrical problems. On the 2004 the ABS module went bad. The brakes work fine but the module is bad causing the warning light to come on. It is a $1700 problem. In the 2007 ,I have had to replace the on board computer twice because of re-occurring problems. Volvo blamed an after market radio installed after Volvo radio failed and two years before computer problems. Car would start, radio would come on but climate controls, power doors and locks would not operate and dash would not light up. Shut car off and re-started and everything would come on. Too many Gremlins with the electrical components in the Volvo cars.

Maintenance is kind of expensive...

I loved this car, and have a lot of great memories in it. It was reaching time to put a lot of maintenance into it which I'd been deferring...kinda sad, as it's the end of an era.

Great college/ backroad car

Recently, I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC70 Cross Contry from Volvo of Lisle (great dealer!) as my first car. I needed it for college and going, literally, a"cross the country", and from what I have seen, it is a great car. The performance is good...the 2.5 I5 has great acceleration. The steering is ok, suspension is forgiving, and quietness is perfect. Of course, the safety features are excellent, it being a Volvo. I would highly recommend this car whether you want to take a hike in the middle of nowhere, or go to the big city, the Volvo XC70 delivers.