2006 Chevrolet Equinox consumer reviews

side view of 2006 Equinox Chevrolet
Explore the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox
Shop the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox

Best First Vehicle

I was given a small car after I graduated high school and it was lovely, but I live in a state where it snows 9 months out of the year, and this little car loved spinning out of control without my permission. I was always nervous, and my nerves proved me right when I was struck by another vehicle flinging me across 2 other lanes of traffic and into a parking lot, where I stopped after slamming into the store's sign. Totaled the car and after that I decided that I needed a bigger vehicle. I absolutely love Chevys, they have always been in the family, as a result, that's where I started searching. I found the Equinox, I had seen them around town and loved the way the exterior looked. I found a good used dealer with a good price and purchased the SUV. Perfect for a girl who doesn't want to pay loads of money for gas, as for a full sized truck would cost. The interior is very interesting and holds up well, except it stains easily. Nothing a little cleaner and a rag can't fix though. I enjoy the stereo, which had a few problems at first, but it was due to the previous owner. The sound is wonderful, especially for stock. The back seat slides back and forth which is wonderful because I have a lot of tall friends and they always comment on how "roomy" it is. Additionally, the back seat folds down, perfect for a college kid moving in and out all the time, plus your stuff doesn't get wet, as it would in the bed of a truck. The center console is a little awkward at first, but a wonderful space saver. The floor mat in the back seat is awesome, I never have to shampoo the carpet. On the exterior, the frame that holds the windshield is difficult with snow, there is a lip which causes the problem. The windshield wipers push snow against it and it creates a blinding spot at times, this was the biggest problem, otherwise everything else was minor. The all wheel drive, along with anti-lock breaks, is wonderful, even with balding tires, on ice and snow. It also got me out of the mud a few times, as well as pulled others out of the ditch. The place for the jack is wonderful, as well as, the place where the spare tire goes, it makes so much more room inside the vehicle. I plan on buying another Equinox, new, after graduating college, and I can't wait to have more great experiences with my Equinox now. I would recommend this vehicle for any girl, especially those who live where there is lots of snow. Additionally, it may be pricer than a small car, but I feel extremely safe, it runs great, and it was totally worth the extra money.

Awesome Car

Bought this car brand new and have had it for 5 years. I travel alot and it has 120,000 miles on it. Yea, I know! It has held up very well on the outside and inside too! In 5 years though I've never had any major work need to be done on the car other than regular tune-ups. My Equinox is a LT AWD and I love it. It handles great and gets great fuel-economy for the size of the car. Speaking of size, this car has tons of room on the inside. There is a ton of storage in this car and plenty of room for 4 passengers. I took a cross-country road trip in this car and had the best of luck! It's the PERFECT vehicle for a family as well. The ride is smooth and steering is on par for a SUV. Handling is great and I live in an area that gets alot of snow and ice in the winter and the AWD is worth it. It does excellent in the snow. It even does better than a truck I used to own a while back and it had 4WD. The interior is nice if your not used to high end cars like Chrysler and Lincoln. The window controls are in an odd spot but it's not hard to get used to and I even like them there! I also have the Pioneer Premium Sound System and it was way worth extra money. The sound quality is great and I like to jam so I would know. The radio has alot of buttons but they aren't too hard to get used to. If you aren't too good at getting used to new things or alot of buttons I would get the steering wheel-mounted audio controls. They would be well worth it. I went for the 6-Disc CD player as well and is was worth it all the more. The climate controls are easy to use as well. I have a moon roof in mine and I don't think I could live without one now. There is a bad blind spot on the car however but it can be fixed easily with a spot mirror. I'll never own another model of car again!

3.6

Best Car I've Had

Going from an 89 Cavalier Z24 to a 2001 Cavalier 4 door, the 2006 Chevy Equinox is by far an upgrade!

3.6

Ok vehicle

I bought a 2006 equinox LT with 39,000 miles on it. After a month of having it the check engine light came on due to a blocked fuel injector. The heating element went out on the driver side front seat and had to be replaced plus the turn signal stopped working. Everything was covered under the bumper to bumper warranty that came with the vehicle. Overall it rides great and there is a lot of room. The gas millage is better then I planned it to be. I really do love it but I am not sure that I totally trust it yet. I have only had it for about 3 months now. I would say if you get this vehicle make sure to get a full warranty with it and if there is a chance to extend the warranty do it!

2.9

Dissappointed

Looks great, runs great, but too many issues. Bought with 70K miles. now has 80K. Windows hard to get used to. No rear heat and air controls. Leaks water in spare tire area and from rear light area. I have seen the leak in spare tire area in 3 out of 4 I looked at once it was noticed. AC issues - fan stopped working (melted wire in connector); randomly stops blowing cold going down highway until shut off and restarted; not real cold at idle. Randomly when starting the starter stays running but does not start. After a couple keycycles it starts. Like I said this is random but not most of the time. This thing has been in shops too many times with no problem found. For the price I expected a lot more reliable.

great car, about to buy my second

I have owned this model car for one year, and I have been thrilled with it. It has been reliable, fun to drive, comfortable, and gets great mileage for its size. 2 days ago, I was hit by a very large truck, and sadly, the Equinox was totaled. However, having be struck on the front passenger's side by a huge truck, I literally walked away with 2 scrapes and minor abrasions from the airbag, and NOTHING ELSE. I sustained no fractures, and I happily surprised that my injuries were not much worse. The EMTs and police even commented that my injuries probably should have been worse, considering the severit of the accident. I am so happy with how safe my Equinox kept me! I am now looking to replace it with another Equinox. This model is great.

Great Car

I purchased My Equinox used with 15,000mi on it. Had it for about 1 1/2 years and so far been totally satisfied. The ride is smooth and comfortable. Handles well except when turning into tight spaces (takes very wide turns). The best thing about this car is the room, has the feel of a mid size suv. So far it has been problem free. The two biggest draw backs are with the seats; stains very easily and when backing up it's very difficult to see over both driver and back seat head rest and I am 6' 3".

Fun

Very Reliable, roomy for road trip with 4 people. Love the AWD. Handle great around corners. The Back seat is adjustable and it makes it easy fit four adults and still have cargo room.

Great buy

We bought this car a couple of weeks ago. The car is perfect. We got a 2006 blue/green LT AWD. The car has every option except leather. For the price you can't beat it. I have gotten so many comments in the past weeks it's great. No problems so far. Hopefully none down the road. In my opinion it drives and handles better than our mustang v6. I can say I have no complaints or regrets of buying.

3.4

Good not Great SUV

My wife and I traded in a Honda Accord and purchased a 2006 Equniox LS as its replacement right before we moved cross country. It was a very comfortable ride for the 3 of us (we also have an 18 month old son) and we had the thing loaded down to the max. It does awesome on the freeways going 80-85 mph very easily and handled very well. We got upto 25 mpg on the trip out here when we didn't run the AC which i think is more than the EPA estimate. Around town we seem to get about 20-22 mpg. The interior design is different and i think that is why i don't like it. The window controls are the hardest to get used to. I also hate that you have to purchase the cross bars for the roof rack in order to be able to use it. We purchased a luggage carrier that did not need the cross bars only to find out there are no slots under the parallel bars to slide the straps under. very poor design. Other than minor degin flaws the only other complaint i have is the amount of noise this car makes. the engine is extremely noisy. There is no perfect car however and the extra space is so nice to have with a small child for the car seat and stroller. I would definetly reccomend this vehicle to anyone who needs more space than a 4dr sedan and wants somewhat decent gas economy.