1999 Chevrolet Lumina consumer reviews

side view of 1999 Lumina Chevrolet
Explore the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina
4.3

Dependable on the road

I got mine free from a family member 11 years ago and I love the performance and dependability! It still runs great but it is trying hard to fall apart from the interior to the metal you can dent with your thumb with very little effort. It is the leakiest vehicle I've ever had! From the windshield to the trunk! It was garage kept by my Grandma and barely driven no more than 50 miles from home. It has an awesome smooth ride and you'd rather set it on fire than have to change the spark plugs twice but it has given me 181,735 miles and I'll drive it til it won't go any further. If you baby your car, you will be happy with it.

1.6

Pure dog water

This car is terrible it looks poor and drives like crap anyone who bought it needs a refund asap it very uncomfterable dont by it please my son didnt like it either.

i drove it for 18 years and loved it!

it was reliable, sturdy, safe and comfortable - you can only choose one use from the drop down but this car transported children, was used for commuting and was driven for pleasure.

Safe, Solid Car has ran well for 20 years

Drives great, very smooth ride, plenty of leg room and comfortable seats, with very large trunk and a strong motor. Great family transport vehicle or a students first vehicle.

Owned since 2000.

My sister bought one in 2000. She passed away in 2014 and left it to me since I performed all the general maintenance on it. It has only 97,000 on it and still runs great. My only complaint on it is the battery location. You have to remove a brace and the washer fluid reservoir to get to it. Dependable car if you take care of it.

Best car

This car deffinitley met all of the needs of my family and then some we very very pleased with it and would buy another again

3.9

Overall, not a bad choice.

I had the LTZ version, the 3.8L V6 is a powerhouse. My friends Dad still used the enigine from my car in his, and just keeps going. It has over 300k miles on the engine.

It Saved Our Lives

I'm glad to read other stories about how Luminas saved drivers lives. It saved mine, of that I am sure. I owned a '99 since new and the only major repair bill came from the leaking intake manifold gasket problem. But at 15 years it was still in great shape and very reliable. I noted at 5 years it still looked and ran new. Then we were T boned on my driver side and the impact put the car on its side. We had some minor injuries but as the driver I was worst. But what would have been potentially far worse injuries in another car was not that bad. The side impact crash rating was " Good". Believe it. The Lumina is built like a tank. Its not flashy but safe.

Lumina Save My Life...

The first Ownership very well maintained. Now that i am the second Owner and have this Lumina 1999 for 4 1/2 years still running in good condition. Before 180,000 mileage the day i purchased, "wow" i put over 30,000 mileage so far. The Lumina is a good car for my own opinion. why? let me tell you it got front wheel drive, quiet engine, run smoothly which saved me and my family during winter. Lumina is the longest vehicle that i ever owned. All i know it gets me from point A to point B that is why Lumina Save My Life...

Hasn't Let Me Down Yet

I purchased this Lumina two years ago with about 90,000 miles on it. I've only put on 20,000 on it, but during that time, nothing of major mechanical importance has failed. Other than the tires and battery (completely expected), and one minor star on the windshield, I have neither replaced nor replaced anything. It does not leak any fluid, it is very quiet, and very fuel-efficient (around 26mpg in combined city-highway driving, which is good for a V6). I take very good care of it: regular oil changes, all other fluids at required levels, properly inflated tires, and brand-name gas (no El Cheapo Gasolino because the engine may stall on warm start-ups, but that's nothing). Likewise, it takes care of me: gets me to where I'm going without complaints or bad surprises. Too bad Chevy stopped making it, but when it finally gives up on me, I'll look at an Impala or Malibu.