2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo consumer reviews

side view of 2006 Monte Carlo Chevrolet
Explore the 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
4.1

Lucky Owner

I was searching for a good value to replace a high mileage Pontiac GTP AND newer F150. I wanted a large trunk and I prefer coupes. Test drove the LT with 3900 V6 and I loved the smooth power. I bought it used in March 07 with 15k miles. I have 48k miles on it now. I had one issue with a power steering fluid leak. On highway drives it averages over 28mpg, in stop and go driving it gets just over 20. It's very comfortable and powerful, there's no power loss with the AC. The XM radio is great for trips (but I'd prefer better, crisper speakers) steering wheel mounted controls are very useful. I like the 17inch wheels, it looks more aggressive than the previous SS models. The back seats are still roomy and the trunk will hold golfbags without having to take out any long clubs. One downside is trade-in value. I considered trading it for something smaller. At 197 inches long its a challenge in a small driveway, but I'd rather keep the reliability, power and styling than trade it for the same priced econobox.

2.0

Don't buy a Monte Carlo

Car looks nice overall and has a fair amount of power. Front wheel drive with the V8 makes this car a pain to drive at times. Interior is comfy but the overall quality of the parts such as exterior moldings, instrument cluster, radio and the seat cloth material is severly lacking. I owned a 06 monte with the 5.3 V8 and it was in the shop more than what I got to drive it. Very disappointed in the quality and reliability and will never buy a GM again.

4.4

good looking car

The car is over all a good car. I wish they didn't stop making the model. Wish they always put traction control on the models paint job pretty goo engine good handles great

It's no Camaro, but.....

I bought mine used with 32K on it. It has the 3.9 V6 and I get 27 to 29MPG on the highway using the cruise control. I get complements on the Laser Blue color every where I go! It's very comfortable to drive even on long trips. It handles great, the performance is great, I haven't tried to bury the 145MPH speedo yet, but if you turn off the traction control and floor it from a dead stop, you can smoke the front tires for 70 feet or more!!(Click on pic) All in all I really like this car and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off!

Strong fun car

The guy who claims only 15.5mpg needs to learn how to drive and not to be cheap with the fuel. Premium fuel gets the best mileage with this car. And 25 hwy is possible unless your on the pedal all the time. Over all real good car. Fun to drive.

awesome car around

i have owned 3 monte carlos, have owned other cars in between, wont own anything but Monte Carlos. most dependalbe, comfortable, & safe car. drive 100 miles per day, in NY weather...it's the best! you can't sell me on anything but this car.

3.4

All in all a good car

The features my 06 Monte Carlo LT came with made this car a good value. It came with remote start, XM radio, and is equiped with onstar yet it didnt cost an arm and leg. The 3.5 V6 is a little lacking on performance and braking and steering leave something to be desired. I've had a tie rod end replaced, my airbag sensors trip warning lights on the instrument panel sporadically, and my trunk release needs to be replaced because it does not open the trunk fully. Gas milage is great and This car is comfortable!!! So far I've only had problems with little annoying things covered by the warranty. All in all its a good car.

Best car on earth

I had this car for about 3 months now and I told everyone about to go buy them one for it's overall appearance, performance, and design. the interior design could of been better but that is my only issue with the car.

4.3

VERY PLEASED

I owned several vehicles in the past and the hangling is great.it has enough power and speed to play on the freeways and also cruise on a nice evening with the wife.

3.4

Fuel Economy Disappointment

Maybe I fell for the "Displacement on Demand" hype, or maybe I was just being optimistic. In either instance, I would become disappointed with the fuel economy. I am averaging 15.5 mpg on a 25/75% split respectively between city and highway driving. My only other disappointment is in the rough ride of the tires and vibration. Multiple trips to the dealership for warranty replacement of tires simply got annoying and so I have given up. But not all is bad. I do love the tuned exhaust and the performance is perfect for a guy who got married and left the Corvette single life for something "more responsible and practical." (Ironically though, my SmartBuy will end about the time the new Camaro hits the showrooms, what a coincidence - ha) Also the standard features on the SS are great.