2001 Dodge Ram 1500 consumer reviews

side view of 2001 Ram 1500 Dodge
Explore the 2001 Ram 1500 Dodge
Shop the 2001 Ram 1500 Dodge

@001 Dodge 1500

I Love this truck,fun to drive.Alittle rough on the gas.Besides being a gas hog,this truck is just what I am looking for in performance,and four wheeling.

2.9

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2L V8)

The truck in question is as follows. 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab 5.2L V8 4-speed Automatic 2WD (Summery) 2001 was the last year of the 1994-2001 Dodge Ram truck styleing. As of 2002 Dodge redisgned their trucks for a more modern freasher look. This was also the last year of the Dodge 5.2L V8, as of 2002 the 5.2L was replaced by a more efficent 4.7L V8. The 5.9L Would continue to live on for a couple of more years untill the Dodge 5.7L Hemi V8 got into full swing. (Engine & Transmission) The Dodge 5.2L V8 sounds nice mean, As most V8 engines do. It does have a fierce growl that lets you know its a V8 and upon starting it up you might think...Wow...I bet this truck will really move...It wont. Sadly the 5.2L is more bark than bite. With only about 230hp pushing close to 5,000lbs of truck the engine feel's taxed then. Hook up a 3 ton trailer and suddenly you can't even go the speed limit on the highway. Econmy is not very strong either. Completely unloaded I was only able to achive about 16mpg on the highway and normally got between 12 and 14 around town. The 4-speed transmission is also nothing worth bragging about. Its shifts were clunky and slow witted. And it kept wanting to upshift far to early when towing a trailer. (Even with OD disengaged). The 5.2L's successor the 4.7L V8 is nothing more than the modern evolution of the 5.2L. Slightly improved power. Smoother running. More efficent. (Ride & Handling) The Dodge's ride and handling wasn't terrible. It wasn't the best, but it was ok for what it was. The suspension was realtivly soft even unloaded. But this also contributed to a 1970's era Caddy like driving experince as the truck tends to roll deeply into turns. When loaded with some weight in the bed the trucks ride goes from exceptable to almost plush. However the handling suffers even more in this instance. Steering is slow, and provides little feedback. (Brakes) The Brakes on this truck are acceptable. Nothing special. Hard stops are somewhat longish. Pedal feel is not all that great either. (Interior & Inital Quality) The Interior is an array of dark grainy hard plastics with some cloth trimmings. Not bad for 10 years ago. But by today's standerds lacks in both apperance and quality. Some of the Dash trim was rattled loose. The truck has suffered some quite serious mechanical issues. The transmission went out, which was a major expense to have repaird. The Engine to has also required quite extensive repairs. The Interior was also subject to numoros squeaks and rattles. (Pros) Sweet Sounding V8 engine Acceptable ride quality Utility and payload Off design might turn a few heads Lasted 200K miles (Major repairs required though) (Cons) Lack of useable power Poor fuel econmy Cheapish interior Full of squeaks and rattles Off design might get unwated attention Plenty of mantience and quailty issues (Summery) If your in the market for a 1/2 ton truck be for either personal use or hard work, Chance's are you can find a better truck from Ford or Chevy for the same price.

4.4

Excellent Find

The 99-01 Rams are the most saught after Rams due to their classic styling and by 1999 their transmision problems were fixed. They have excellent style, a list of luxury options, and are very reliable. I was lucky enough to find a fully loaded 4wd with only 45k and a perfect body. It wasn't cheap but these Rams hold their value better than the 02-05 Rams. I had a 2000 before this one and never had a problem with it until my son crashed it into tree. By the way nobody was hurt! So I guess they are also very safe!

3.3

Good Truck for the Money

This is my second Dodge Ram 1500 and I have to say, it's a good truck. Can be very relieble if maitained properly. The common problem that Ram trucks have is the rocker panel and bottom of the doors rust. The U joints, ball joints and power steering pump would probaly break first at a good mileage. I would say, very easy to work on and inexpensive on parts. If you need a truck for towing something heavyer, get a manual if not, just a simple automatic transmission would work. Once again, if you maintain properly, will not have to fix it. The handling and design is not the best in any way, but I would say that it's a great value for the money.

4.1

My truck is great. :)

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 4X4 Off-Road and it's probably the best vehicle I've ever had. I love how comfortable it is and is great for long drives. I don't like the fact that it is so thirsty for gas and I'm getting 13 mpg, but other than that, the truck is a fun truck to drive, it's never had any problems,and runs great. :)

4.0

Best truck ever

I love my truck. It is the best truck I ever drove or owned. It is reliable strong and easy to maintain. If you own one change the transmission fluid as ordered or you might cause a problem . I use high end fluid and it pays off big time.

3.7

Great Truck for Pulling

2001 Diesel Sport Cuad Dodge truck. Very good truck and can pull anything. But not much room in rear seat. Too much plastic inside interior.

i love my cummins diesel

I bought this truck used at 80,000 miles and have put another 25,000 on it in one year and i have a company truck to drive for free. i haul a fifth wheel trailer with ease. diesel s speed manual trans four wheel drive, exhaust brake.

4.4

great truck wouldnt sell it for anything

i bought this truck in 2001 and so far ive put about 137k miles on it. It also sat from april 06-07 because i was given a business car. it still runs great. i love the way it looks. Very bold and tough and its never let me down. Beofre i purchased this truck i looked around at all the other brands like ford, chevy etc. and nothing else could offer me all the features that this truck did for the price.

BEST TRUCK EVER

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN 95000 MILES GREAT TRUCK GOOD TOWING AND FUEL MILAGE GREAT RIDE NICE HANDLING