2002 Ford Ranger

Would buy if I had had the money down

by from Burlington nj on September 6, 2017

I love it it's reliable it's everything you expect from a ford drove very smoothly ran pretty quiet as well
Not Rated Reliability

High mileage daily driver

by from Bartlett IL on August 23, 2017

I purchased this ranger at 230 thousand miles from the 2nd owner. In terms of how the truck has held up to 15 years and all that driving it shows it's age. For starters the seats are vinyl and sport a couple years, but are surprisingly comfortable for a 6-1 dude. Three people can fit across but not if they are broad of shoulder and hip and not comfortably either way. I have the 5 speed and 4 cylinder and with most tanks I average 350 miles per tank in mixed driving. Coming from a trans am that needs premium and only gets around 280 miles in mixed the savings are significant. The utility of the truck depends on your ability to load things in layers but it's quite useful even though it's a compact truck with a 6 footbed. The truck was a former fleet vehicle so it's a very basic model. For starters it has no A/C, which is quite uncomfortable on the highway in summer but it's bearable with preparation. Manual windows, no power door locks, mirrors and no sliding rear window. But it's complete lack of features and luxury that makes it a charming workhorse of a vehicle as well as having less things to fail. Performance is adequate to get up to speed reasonably quick, and on the highway in 5th gear it's quite content to sit at 75mph without having to downshift on upgrades and to move around other cars with slow but deliberate pace. The shifter is pretty notchy and rubbery but it's still fun much better than an automatic that's for sure. Overall it's a truck that isn't the most comfortable and fancy but it gets the job done without fuss and cheaply. For a small pickup compared to the alternatives you'll see far more Rangers on the road of almost vintages for a reason, they just work.

Just keeps on running

by from Valparaiso IN on July 8, 2017

We drove this truck for 15 years back and forth to work and about town...we drove this truck up and down the east coast and back..from Indiana to Georgia more times that I can remember.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Just keeps on running

by from Valparaiso IN on July 7, 2017

Sporty yellow small truck

by from Pottstown, PA on July 3, 2017

The Ranger Edge has the 4-Liter engine which has plenty ofpower and I got onver 20mpg onn the second fillup. Adding a tonneau cover and steps for my wife. It goes fast quickly and is fine on decent roads.

Uses car for Havingfun

Ranger, supercab, super reliable

by from Sheboygan, WI on July 2, 2017

I bought this used 3 years ago. It is the smaller 4.0 engine. I had to fix the thermostat and replace the back brakes. I also replaced the windshield wipers and I do the oil changes when due. Not bad for a truck with over 265,000 miles.

Best little truck I ever owned

by from Texas on June 7, 2017

At the time I needed a dependable vehicle during my service to our country! It meet every need and got me to my duty stations for years to come.

Very sound and reliable truck

by from on May 19, 2017

I've had this truck for 11 years now, and I am the third owner. It's been a great little workhorse with no major mechanical issues. I made several trips from Austin, Texas to Wichita, Kansas and back in this truck. I also have back issues, and the main reason I bought this model truck was the seats were the most comfortable of all the trucks I looked at! It's a compact pickup, so it gets good gas mileage for a truck, while still having a six cylinder engine. Could the interior have a few more bells and whistles? Sure. More controls on the steering wheel would be nice, instead of just the cruise control. But then again, I didn't buy this new, so I don't know what all options were available at the time.

Good solid truck

by from VA on April 25, 2017

Have put well over 40k on it. It is the XLT extended cab with a 4.0 V6. Never has it left me stranded. Brakes have ben a bit of a pain at times...need to make sure rear brakes perform to the level as expected. Had to clean and run them up several times. Not a deal breaker for me though.

Excellent small truck with everything I need

by from seattle, wa on January 16, 2017

2002 5-speed manual 4x4 with FX4 package. Truck was in great condition with good power, tow package, and sporty look. Interior cab space is a bit smaller than my last 1987 ranger supercab.

Our Expert Review: 2002 Ford Ranger