2002 Ranger

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned

by Jersey Rick from Jersey Shore on November 25, 2012

Bought it new in 2002 XLT model extended cab 4x2 and now has 205,000 mi with no problems. Had to replace trans at 94,000 due to bad converter,otherwise no problems at all,can't kill this thing! I just do the normal maint. at the local Ford dealer. Keep thnking about replacing it,but why should I. Runs great ,but starting to show it's age because I don't wax as often as I should. Ford made a mistake by not building the Ranger any more.

Ideal small truck

by No Stranger to Ranger from Chicago suburbs on March 2, 2012

If you need to tow yachts every day, the Ranger probably is not for you; get a Super Duty diesel. The Ranger also might not be right for you if you need a car that does 70+ mpg; get a Fiesta ECOnetic diesel. If you want something that can haul normal loads, cruise around at 25 mpg, and actually start in Winter, then the Ranger is definitely a good choice. Mine is 10 years old, nearing 150k miles, and is still running as well as the day I took it for the test drive. It is the most reliable, comfortable and practical vehicle I have ever owned It just never lets me down. In fact, aside from regular scheduled maintenance my truck has needed only 4 minor repairs, all of which were cases of me letting it down - not the other way around. I love this truck. It has served me very well, and I hope it continues to do so for a long time.

most reliable car ive owned

by guard__dog from CALIFORNIA on June 16, 2008

the truck drives well handles great . all controls are within reach. interior is nice , has rubber floor mats. has a plastic bed cover. the intrument panel is laid out nice. ive never had an engine problem, overall its a great truck

Perfect Work/Commute Truck

by Beastie from El Dorado on January 2, 2009

I used to be a die hard Toyota Person. I had owned 6 Toyota vehicles & Prior to Toyota's a Chevy Vega. I bought my 2002 Ranger XL Utility Grade Truck used, thinking I would have to settle for a vehicle with established problems in need of repairs etc... Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been delighted with the new car performance of this Truck from the day I test drove it, with 83k miles already on it. It now has 96k miles and it is still the great little truck that impressed me when I bought it. I was so impressed with these Mazda influenced Fords, that I have recently purchased another. As used vehicles go, You just can't go wrong with a mellenium era FORD.

Next to the best Ranger I've ever owned.

by sunstang from MD on March 30, 2008

Bought new only after my wife refused to ride with me in my beat up 1986 Ranger with 246,000 miles. Purchased the 2002 XLT ext cab with the 3.0 engine. Driving and using my ranger after 100,000 miles I have to say I think it will surpass my 1986. "Zero" complaints on relialibility. Only areas I think could use improvement is: 1. Get the 4.0 engine vice the 3.0. My truck is way underpowered. 2. Comfort, this truck will let you know you have been riding in a truck after a short period in it. It will beat you to death. 3. MPG NEVER got over 17 MPG, :( Other than that GREAT truck for the $$$$

great little truck

by Red Rider from Central Point, Oregon on June 25, 2012

redhot and fun, we are really enjoying it. Great mpg compared to our former suv. We actually have two Rangers, the above mentioed and a 1992, my hubby drives "whitie" most of the time, with fuel prices he loves getting 24+ mpg

Great Car

by Eddie from Bensalem, PA on September 18, 2009

this car is my first car. i beat the car up and it still has absoultly no problems. after 30,000 miles i havnt had any problems. the 2 things i do wish is that it was a little bigger and it had a little more horse power. but other then that the car is wonderful. this little thing even towed my big 24 foot boat with the 3 litre engine.

Great Preformance

by Chris R from Crossville,T on August 16, 2006

I own a 2002 Ranger Edge 4dr. stepside bed 4wd, this is one of the best preforming truck i have seen. It has a 4.0L 207hp v-6 it was a bit much but im glad that i bought it. It handles good on strait aways but i have noticed that its not so good on turning. The seats do good for what they were designed for but for prefofmance driving if you dont have bucket seats you tend to lean more than nessary. Its a great truck all and all plus its never left me stranded or wanting. I love this truck!!!

2002 Ranger

by deerhunter44 from Georgia on May 30, 2014

Perfect small truck. This my second Ranger sold the first one with 204,000 miles on it. Still going and every thing works perfect. Hope to drive this one for at least 10 years.

Good solid truck

by blankerl from VA on April 25, 2017

Have put well over 40k on it. It is the XLT extended cab with a 4.0 V6. Never has it left me stranded. Brakes have ben a bit of a pain at times...need to make sure rear brakes perform to the level as expected. Had to clean and run them up several times. Not a deal breaker for me though.

1 2 3 4