2002 Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2002 Ford Ranger?

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned

by Jersey Rick from Jersey Shore on Sun Nov 25 2012

Bought it new in 2002 XLT model extended cab 4x2 and now has 205,000 mi with no problems. Had to replace trans at 94,000 due to bad converter,otherwise no problems at all,can't kill this thing! I just do the normal maint. at the local Ford dealer. Keep thnking about replacing it,but why should I. Runs great ,but starting to show it's age because I don't wax as often as I should. Ford made a mistake by not building the Ranger any more.

Ideal small truck

by No Stranger to Ranger from Chicago suburbs on Fri Mar 02 2012

If you need to tow yachts every day, the Ranger probably is not for you; get a Super Duty diesel. The Ranger also might not be right for you if you need a car that does 70+ mpg; get a Fiesta ECOnetic diesel. If you want something that can haul normal loads, cruise around at 25 mpg, and actually start in Winter, then the Ranger is definitely a good choice. Mine is 10 years old, nearing 150k miles, and is still running as well as the day I took it for the test drive. It is the most reliable, comfortable and practical vehicle I have ever owned It just never lets me down. In fact, aside from regular scheduled maintenance my truck has needed only 4 minor repairs, all of which were cases of me letting it down - not the other way around. I love this truck. It has served me very well, and I hope it continues to do so for a long time.

most reliable car ive owned

by guard__dog from CALIFORNIA on Mon Jun 16 2008

the truck drives well handles great . all controls are within reach. interior is nice , has rubber floor mats. has a plastic bed cover. the intrument panel is laid out nice. ive never had an engine problem, overall its a great truck

Perfect Work/Commute Truck

by Beastie from El Dorado on Fri Jan 02 2009

I used to be a die hard Toyota Person. I had owned 6 Toyota vehicles & Prior to Toyota's a Chevy Vega. I bought my 2002 Ranger XL Utility Grade Truck used, thinking I would have to settle for a vehicle with established problems in need of repairs etc... Nothing could be further from the truth. I've been delighted with the new car performance of this Truck from the day I test drove it, with 83k miles already on it. It now has 96k miles and it is still the great little truck that impressed me when I bought it. I was so impressed with these Mazda influenced Fords, that I have recently purchased another. As used vehicles go, You just can't go wrong with a mellenium era FORD.

great little truck

by Red Rider from Central Point, Oregon on Mon Jun 25 2012

redhot and fun, we are really enjoying it. Great mpg compared to our former suv. We actually have two Rangers, the above mentioed and a 1992, my hubby drives "whitie" most of the time, with fuel prices he loves getting 24+ mpg

Next to the best Ranger I've ever owned.

by sunstang from MD on Sun Mar 30 2008

Bought new only after my wife refused to ride with me in my beat up 1986 Ranger with 246,000 miles. Purchased the 2002 XLT ext cab with the 3.0 engine. Driving and using my ranger after 100,000 miles I have to say I think it will surpass my 1986. "Zero" complaints on relialibility. Only areas I think could use improvement is: 1. Get the 4.0 engine vice the 3.0. My truck is way underpowered. 2. Comfort, this truck will let you know you have been riding in a truck after a short period in it. It will beat you to death. 3. MPG NEVER got over 17 MPG, :( Other than that GREAT truck for the $$$$

Great Preformance

by Chris R from Crossville,T on Wed Aug 16 2006

I own a 2002 Ranger Edge 4dr. stepside bed 4wd, this is one of the best preforming truck i have seen. It has a 4.0L 207hp v-6 it was a bit much but im glad that i bought it. It handles good on strait aways but i have noticed that its not so good on turning. The seats do good for what they were designed for but for prefofmance driving if you dont have bucket seats you tend to lean more than nessary. Its a great truck all and all plus its never left me stranded or wanting. I love this truck!!!

Great Car

by Eddie from Bensalem, PA on Fri Sep 18 2009

this car is my first car. i beat the car up and it still has absoultly no problems. after 30,000 miles i havnt had any problems. the 2 things i do wish is that it was a little bigger and it had a little more horse power. but other then that the car is wonderful. this little thing even towed my big 24 foot boat with the 3 litre engine.

Very sound and reliable truck

by Limerick1978 from on Fri May 19 2017

I've had this truck for 11 years now, and I am the third owner. It's been a great little workhorse with no major mechanical issues. I made several trips from Austin, Texas to Wichita, Kansas and back in this truck. I also have back issues, and the main reason I bought this model truck was the seats were the most comfortable of all the trucks I looked at! It's a compact pickup, so it gets good gas mileage for a truck, while still having a six cylinder engine. Could the interior have a few more bells and whistles? Sure. More controls on the steering wheel would be nice, instead of just the cruise control. But then again, I didn't buy this new, so I don't know what all options were available at the time.

2002 Ranger

by deerhunter44 from Georgia on Fri May 30 2014

Perfect small truck. This my second Ranger sold the first one with 204,000 miles on it. Still going and every thing works perfect. Hope to drive this one for at least 10 years.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2002 Ford Ranger

Good things come in different packages.

Take the Ford Ranger.

A pair of compact Ranger pickups arrived for testing, an XLT 4x4 and a Thunderbolt 4x2.

The XLT was dressed in FX4 trim, which means it was equipped for off-roading with in-dash dial-up four-wheel-drive controls, oversized 31-inch radials and a stance several inches higher than normal to better travel through snow, over boulders and into and out of streams.

The Thunderbolt was dressed with a hood scoop, front air dam, wheel-lip extensions and ground effects plastic trim along the rocker panels. Thanks to 15-inch radial tires and the plastic cosmetics, its stance was lower for more sure-footed travel over the straightaways and into and... Read More