2003 Civic

2003 Honda Civic

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2003 Honda Civic?

Honda Civic Coupe 2003 okay, but can be tricky

by bubba from Lansing MI on Mon Aug 06 2012

This is a great car. I like the 5-speed and it gets very good gas mileage. However we had to replace the engine just after we bought it (used). The previous owner apparently used the wrong kind of oil or something else happened which blocked the small channels used to circulate the oil through the engine. As a result, it burned oil like you wouldn't believe. The Honda Dealership said it was too expensive to repair and recommended replacing the engine, whcih we did. It runs fine now; However I would note that this is a potential trouble spot for that engine. We also replaced the muffler. Car has a timing belt rather than a chain. These must be replaced at about 100,000 miles. If it fails, the whole engine will be ruined. Serious risk. Newer models have a chain instead -- more reliable.

Honda, Honda Honda

by ZoomDaddy from Rochester, NY on Mon Feb 11 2013

This has been a great vehicle! I bought it used in 2005 with 53,000 miles. It now has 174K miles and I've had very little extra maintenance. Even the additional work was not costly. I still have the original clutch & it's still getting around 38 mpg! It's definitely not the quietest or smoothest vehicle, but that was not it's purpose. I had the inspection done last week and the Honda mechanic said there should be no reason to get at least 200,000....here we go!!

My Honda Civic Si

by Maximillian from Northern California on Mon Sep 01 2008

My car is five years old. Recently, the automatic door locking/opening mechanism ceased to work properly. This is a great car for the money. With over 100,000 miles on this car, I am most happy with the way it performs. I have the two-door hatchback model. The back seats fold forward to give a very large useable space. I get 31 mpg highway, and 26 overall. I take good care of my Civic, Recently, i did the 100,000 checkup. There were no problems to repair..just normal service. There are times I would prefer to have an automatic. I hope to drive my Honda for a long time.

Surpising Preformance And Quality

by TexRodeo from Charlotte, NC on Mon Apr 24 2017

I recently purchased my 2003 Honda Civic-EX Sedan, nearly a month ago now after losing my 1993 Infiniti J30 in a minor bump-up accident. I always wanted a Honda vehicle and had driven many different Honda's over the years, but had never been afforded the opportunity to own one until now. I found my Civic in an ad locally and had contacted the gentleman and later went to drive the car. First Impressions, I was thinking, OK another boring Econo-Sedan. WOW, was I wrong...! I had read about the Honda VTEC system before but I now have experienced it first hand and I am very Impressed. I must say, for a tiny car with a small 1.7 Litre Engine, I guess the VTEC System really does make the difference because even with the 4-spd Automatic, it sure doesn't disappoint in any way and is still a very peppy little thing. Talk about a little Powerhouse while being gas very conscious, Really the best of both worlds. I must say, I really do think that Honda was really hitting on something with this one. I really do look forward to driving this little car every time I go out in it. I have done some of the needed minor repairs that had been somewhat neglected and I still have quite a few more things to go on my list, before I get this car the way that I want it, but like with everything, it all takes time and money. I will say that in this case, the drivetrain is over all is very sound and is obviously in great mechanical condition. My Civic is now 14 years of age and has now has just short of 131k miles and things will need always need doing on any vehicle. Overall, I think that thus far it has been and it will continue to be well worth the effort in the long run. After all it is a Honda.

Amazing

by Cars for you from Utica NY on Thu May 31 2012

im 16 and just started driving and this car is just a great car i think all young teens should have one its very dependable and is great on gas its also a very nice sounding car mine only has 57,000 miles and runs like a champ... Its a really run car .the only thing i think is bad about the car is the stero system is not the best.. but its good for me... in all i think honda makes the best all round cars...

Sporty, bullet proof, and thrifty too!

by Uncle Turbo from Lake Wallenpaupack, PA on Sun Oct 28 2007

I purchased my Civic new in Feb. '03 and I now have 67K miles on the car. It is a 4 door EX with 5 spd manual transmission. I didn't need all the EX features but I wanted the VTEC motor and ABS brakes which in '03 were only available on the EX. I also opted for the side air bags. Aside from normal maintenance all I have had to replace was a noisy strut which was a warranty repair. The original tires only went 24K miles. I replaced the OEM Firestones with Michelins and after 40K miles they still have plenty of tread left. The brakes are only 1/2 worn and are still the original pads. No clutch work needed as yet. For a "small" car the trunk is very spacious and I use it a lot. The back seat is comfortable for anyone 6' or shorter. The interior is very functional not overly fancy. All the controls are easy to understand and work smoothly with a "quality" feel. The materials have held up well and with a little cleaning the interior looks close to new. The exterior styling is pretty conservative, but the wedge shape is areodynamic and is not outdated. The paint is good quality and shines up great. My only compliant is the sheet metal of the the hood is rolled too thin. It is easily dented by acorns that fall from the Oak trees in my yard. I have to be careful where I park the car when the "nuts" are falling. The engine is zippy and the 5 speed manual transmission shifts very smoothly with short throws. It drives like a sports car and handles very well when pushed hard on back country twisty roads. For performance you have to keep the rpm's up over 3,000, but that is easy as the motor pulls strong all the way up to 6,500 rpm. I planned to keep this car for 15 years when I bought it and that is still the plan. I still have fun driving it and the 40 mpg on expressway trips is great too! I keep accurate fuel records and 35 mpg is my norm for mixed driving and 32 mpg for strickly around town mileage.

Honda Civic update

by Jsport from Maryland on Thu Sep 27 2012

Nice runaround car but it lacks engine guts. I even have a stick and you really have to be careful pulling out in traffic. Also the 2003 model needs a transmission job on the manuel shift which we did after buying a used model $1400 ouch! But it gets 30-35 city and 38-40 hwy. My next car is going to be the new 2013 Nissan 2.0 with 27city and 37 hwy and drive a bigger car, automatic, and look goood! Good luck, talk them down unless it has the trans job done already.

My first and most memorable car

by Raspitah on Tue Aug 15 2017

I owned an automatic LX version. Got it used with 13,000 miles on it. The car was great on gas and maintenance was affordable. I once got trapped on a flooded road with 3 1/2 feet of water in NYC on the FDR drive. I swear, my little Civic amazed me that day. I exaggerate not! My little civic drove through the "river" without stalling. It passed all sorts of luxury vehicles and even SUV's that drowned! I thought to myself "I made a good choice with this one!"

Crazy reliable

by Carter from Columbus, OH on Mon Nov 18 2013

This car isn't the quietest or smoothest but it insanely reliable. Purchased car at 47k and now have 125k and have only spent $260 total in 6 years on non-routine maintenance repairs. Gas mileage is great at 28-30 city and 36-38 highway. Not a car meant for long trips as it isn't too comfortable but for a daily driver it will save you tons of $$$.

Great car great fuel economy

by Honda Josepie from Wellsburg, WV on Mon Jul 16 2012

Purchased 2004 Honda civic lx with 18000 miles on it. Regular oill changes and preventive maintainance 80000 miles did not burn oil .ran like a champ. Traded it in on a CRV. Ilove my hondas Had hondas past 12 years. Thanks Honda

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2003 Honda Civic

Probably the most extraordinary thing about the Honda Civic Hybrid is its very ordinariness.

Beneath its placid exterior, the Hybrid is an electronic marvel designed to wring optimal mileage from each gallon of gasoline. The system is a complex balancing act between an internal-combustion engine and an electric motor, the goal being an environmentally sensitive vehicle that gains in fuel mileage and reduces air pollution, without sacrificing performance.

The Civic Hybrid drives pretty much like an everyday Civic, and there are no real compromises in accommodations or comfort.

The Civic Hybrid is one of just three such production vehicles on American highways, along with another Honda, called the... Read More