2013 Genesis Coupe

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

4.3

Have You Driven the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

How long has Hyundai been making sports cars?

by Stang_To_Hyundai from St. Louis, MO on Sat Apr 14 2012

When I first saw this car, I was quite curious who made it. Hyundai? A what? Well, lets just say after a test drive, I never want to sit in another Mustang again. Ever. Sure the Mustangs have power, but I've never been excited to go around turns or anything, it was just all about how fast I could go straight. When I got in this car (3.8 track), the steering just feels so precise and Hyundai did a really good job with the suspension, although it is rather stiff, but its well worth it in the corners. Looks like Mustangs and Camaros have to step up their V6 game now. I was also really impressed with the fuel economy. I'm not a boring driver and get mid to high 20s in the city.

3.8 Track 8 Spd Auto

by GenCoupeOwner from STL on Wed Oct 12 2016

86k miles without any mechanical failures. I drive it year round with 45 minutes in rush hour traffic (hence the auto) each way. It is comfortable for a sports car while the seats holds you in place while taking corners. It is pretty easy to get the rear tires to break loose but also easy enough to drive in the snow (3.8 has all its power at the top of the RPM range). Touch screen works well enough. GPS is not fancy but also works well enough. Radio is decent, it is 360 watt Infinity system with 4 2 way speakers, 4 tweeters, and an 8" sub in the rear deck. Loud enough to vibrate your mirrors, not loud enough to gear from your house (which is a good thing). This car has one of the more power v6 engines that is on the market, but any newer v8 will most likely beat it. The 8 speed auto is set up with short gear ratios and 6/7/8 are all overdrive. You can drive in auto, sport or manual mode; manual mode is where you move the gear selector to the left and then you have press it forward or backwards to choose which gear you want to be in. There are also flappy gear leavers on the steering wheel to do the same. If you are in bad weather, you can put the gearbox in manual mode and choose 2nd gear to prevent wheel-spin (first gear is very short, if the roads are wet and you go open throttle, even in a straight line you will spin the tires easily). Xenon lights are excellent, they go quite far and is easy to see at night. it makes the fog lights and the high beams seem useless, even used together, because the low beams out shine them in every way. There are a lot of things I really like about the car, but it is not perfect. I am happy with my purchase. For the price I paid, there was not a faster and nicer sports car in my area. But there are a few things that I think could have been improved if the genesis coupe was not discontinued. Here is what I dislike: * the fake hood vents (either remove them or give an option for real ones as it would help the engine reduce heat at the tracks. No one like fake stuff, it just gives people a reason to make fun of it. * the interior trim has one or two pieces made out of hard plastic that stretch easy. Everything that is not an input, control or has some kind of functionality should be made out of some material that is soft touch. * full safety systems are too invasive if you are trying to drive spiritedly with them on. It would have been better to have a snow/rain mode with everything on that is invasive, a normal move that is not as invasive as the previous one, sports/race that turns off traction control but leaves on stability control that does not come on unless it is in extreme conditions, and off switch that turns off all the safety controls. *18" rims because the 19" rims make buying new tires more expensive because 19" is not as common as 18". There is some point that the smaller rim will save weight or something similar but the reason was too boring for me to remember. * Missing an Heads Up Display (HUD). I think every car should have one of these as they are really useful and cheap to add in. However it needs to have an option to be able to turn if off for the people who do not want it.

Slip sliding away

by Pathfinder from Evansville, IN on Thu Jul 25 2013

We purchased the first 2013 Genesis Turbo Coupe our local dealer received in March of 2012 during final 4 of basketball. We loved the car, the turbo was quick and the fuel economy was great, we hit 31 mpg on our very first tank of gas through the vehicle. About 8 months into owning the vehicle we experienced a very loud noise from under the car. We were pulling onto the interstate and thought we had a tire going down the noise was that loud. Pulling to the side of the road there was nothing wrong. Driving on the noise never left....ever. We took the car into the dealer, it was checked over and no reason behind this noise level increase could be found. We listen to the radio on a volume level of 4 to 5, that had to be increased to 10 to be able to hear the songs. We traded this turbo off and picked up a 2013 Genesis Coupe Track edition. The seats were an upgrade as well as the exterior lights for my wife who drives early mornings in the car and needs the driving lights the track edition offered. However our love affair with the car has soured because now with less than 4000 miles on the car the automatic trans is slipping, not going into gear, at around the 20 mph and 30 mph zone. When the trans "does" finally grab the tires bark and the car does a lunge that the dealer really has not expressed an interest in finding. We are going to give the dealer one more attempt to fix this before we trade the car. The power is fantastic but if you don't have a solid transmission to match with the engine, all the power in the world won't get you out of the way of a truck on the highway if the trans won't mesh.

Good and Bad experience with this car.

by Dan from Portland, OR on Fri Aug 21 2015

There is a noise coming from the waste gate in the car that Hyundai knows about and refuses to fix. Mechanically it doesn't cause a major problem. But it sounds awful and can give people the wrong impression about how nice this car is. Also this car has a sprung hub clutch which makes a rachety noise through the gears due to the springs. It's a wonderful thing to have to reduce the friction on the contact points of the clutch itself. But I don't believe the springs in the clutch are strong enough for this car which is why it makes that noise so quickly. Especially in first and second gears. Hyundai had there Field Service Engineer take a look at it and said it is a normal operational sound that the cars make after being worn in. Mind you I have less than 15,000 miles on the car when I took it in. BMW has these same types of clutches installed in there cars but they don't make this noise. I have also found that the Electronic Stability Control(ESC) in this car doesn't allow the transmission to have same sized tires in the front and rear. Tires in the front are slightly smaller. Which is what I'm sure many other people have come to find will cause the transmission noises and makes it next to impossible to execute taking a corner safely. I found this out when I decided to buy new tires for the car. Thank god my friend runs the tire store I got them from or it would have ended up costing me about $1800 total. (Performance Tires) Also the Electronic Traction Control cuts the fuel from entering the engine at inopportune times. I've almost died a few times due to this feature. Luckily for me I found a way to trick the car into disabling this feature by automatically: 1. Start the car. 2. Pull the 10a fuse. 3. Press the Stability control button. 4. Then place the 10a fuse back. I've also seen some reviews complaining about the turbo not working all the time. These are actually safety features that Hyundai put into the car that won't allow the turbo to engage until the car is warmed up. I have also found that you have to press the pedal pretty far to get the turbo to engage. Which in the long run will save you thousands in repairs or having to buy a turbo timer to give it time to cool down properly. Other then those few problems/concerns, I love this car. It is fast handles corners great. All around wonderful car for the price paid. Hopefully this review is helpful.

Does not recommend this car!!

Fun to drive

by BG from Columbus, OH on Fri Jan 18 2013

Got the 3.8 Grand Touring in copper w/auto, w/ NAV, w/spoiler (the one in their brochure) and love every thing about it. 348HP, comfortable leather seats, responsive handling, looks great. Test drove a 370Z. The interior isn't as nice as the coupe and has less HP. Going to add Stillen cat-back dual exhaust.

Fun to Drive Sports Car

by KeysCopRetired from Key Largo, Florida on Fri Mar 28 2014

I've owned my 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T for 1 year now. This is a fun to drive sports car that has great performance and turns heads with it's sleek & sporty styling. Average fuel economy I've experience is about 28 mph....31 on the highway, 25 in the city. While this is a great car, it's not perfect. My biggest complaint is the dangerously aggressive traction control. Right after I bought this car the traction control nearly got me in a crash. The TC is so aggressive that at the slightest hint of wheel spin...a little sand, loose pebbles, anything the traction control shuts down all power to the wheels for 2 seconds. So if you are in the middle of the road trying to accelerate into traffic, you may get run over. I now drive with the TC OFF. Five stars if not for the traction control issue.

Hyundai got it right

by salbee couper from Milford Ct on Thu Jan 31 2013

Ive gotten so many compliments from the least likely people. Everyone loves the color (shorline drive blue) and i love the performance, ride and handling. Not too bad on gas either. Still breaking it in so i havent gotten on it yet, but this thing just wants to go, go , go. Very happy I bought this for my everyday driver, every drive to work is exhilerating. The acceleration and braking are phenominal. DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR IN SNOW WITHOUT PROPER SNOW TIRES, YOU WILL BE SORRY

Great Car for the Price

by Coupe Owner from Tampa, FL on Wed Jun 18 2014

I bought the 2013 3.8 Track Model with the 8-speed transmission. I really only have one minor complaint about the car's drivetrain and that is the manual mode for shifting with this transmission can be a little slow to shift and doesn't let you downshift as quickly as I might like. In automatic mode, the shifts are smooth as silk. It has plenty of power, the steering feels great, the Brembo brakes are stellar and the features (Nav, Leather, Sunroof, Infinity Sound System, Cruise, Automatic Climate Control, 350 hp, 290 lb-ft of torque, adjustable suspension, Brembo Brakes power driver's seat, power windows, HomeLink, and the list goes on) offered are awesome for a car in this price range. Also, build quality is really good. The car feels very solid and well put together. Unlike other cars in this price range, the materials don't feel brittle and cheap. Also, if you are a visceral person, the sound that the 3.8 makes is magical when you put your foot down. I don't drive with kid gloves and still manage to get 21-24 MPG on average. I have not had any issues with reliability (currently at about 16,000 miles and a little over a year old). The only time it was in the shop other than normal scheduled maintenance was when I damaged the splash guard pulling too far over a parking curb with an extra long piece of rebar sticking up. It's comfortable to drive on both long and short trips, even with the sports seats (which I might add keep you nicely tucked in the seat even when turning hard). The only other complaint I have is that the roof is extremely short in the back seat. Do not expect any passenger over about 5' 6" or so to be able to comfortably sit in the back seat.

KDM power 2.0T Part 2 Update

by kultureshok from Los Angeles on Mon Oct 20 2014

i wrote a review about a year ago on this car, so this is merely an update. After having the privilege of owning this car for about 12 months now i have to say i made the right choice for me. I have the 2.0T with the paddle shifters and to this day the car runs perfectly fine. yes i know 12 months isnt exactly a long time but i thought i just through it out there for anyone considering an alternative to a Frs or any other sporty vehicle within the same price range. My car now has 16000 miles and haven't had any issues with the power train or engine/cpu. Pros: Attractive exterior, its definitely a neckbreaker interior is always thought out well, (better than the G37 coupe). Good amount of torque at just 2k rpm, you can literally pass cars in any gear using the paddles. the ability to use regular, mid grade or premium gas. the driving position is great, everything is within easy reach. Cons: mediocre gas miles from a 4 cylinder, even if you try to lay off the boost. averaging about 23 mpg and that's with Premium gas. Some materials inside the cabin are sensitive and can easily scratch. Doesn't feel as planted around sharp corners. rear end stick out alot. and lastly weight. 3425 for a 2.0T is alot. I mean its not obese but definitely needs shed a least 250 pounds to make it more balanced. Overall the Genesis is a great solid sport coupe that has a lot to offer. Glad i chose this over an FRS.

Love this car

by road warior from Phoenix, AZ on Tue Oct 02 2012

This car is absolutely great. I put about 25m miles on a car per year and wanted one that I would enjoy since I live in it. Bought the 3.8 GT and have 12m miles on it since May. Love the comfort, love the electronics, love the mileage and love the performance. Have had some trouble with the transmission, which Hyundai is working on. The adaptive transmission, after about 5m miles, starts slipping; especially from 4-5th gear under load. Would I recommend this car to a friend - YES. Would I get another - YES. Fun to drive, turns heads and never gets boring.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

In its first three model years (2010-2012), the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T was not a car I could get excited about (read my review of the 2011 2.0T R-Spec here). Its poky engine and sloppy handling made it under-deliver on its billing as an affordable, rear-wheel-drive performance coupe. Fortunately, the new 2013 version brings relief. (Please note that the Genesis Coupe shouldn't be confused with Hyundai's Genesis sedan, a very different luxury model covered separately.)

The redesigned 2013 Genesis 2.0T is better in a big way, with more power and a retuned suspension, though an unflattering-sounding engine hurts the otherwise-improved driving experience.

What may be even more damaging, though, is... Read More