1999 Grand Cherokee

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

$576 - $7,132  MSRP Range

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have you driven the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Good car great in the snow

by Jeep Dude from Victorville, CA on Tue Apr 26 2011

Bought it for a great price, needed some work, but has performed flawlessly. Unbeatable in the snow. I commute over 100 miles per day into the mountains and this vehicle has never let me down over the last 2 years. I have gone through some of the worst snow storms Big Bear has had in over 25 years and it never once got stuck nor have I ever chained it up. I have taken it off road several times and it has done very well.

Great value

by Mandy from Louisville on Tue Nov 23 2010

The 99 grand cherokee is my second jeep I have owned and I would strongly recommend jeep products to all my friends and family. For the money you will not find better value, style, comfort and reliability. I love my jeep, and I can say nothing bad about my experiences at all. You can bet that the next vehicle will be a jeep!

Only car I have ever owned

by cffenterprise from Kalamazoo, MI on Thu Oct 15 2009

This is the first car that I have ever owned and got it for my 16th Birthday. It has exceeded my expectations on performance, and handling. The 4.7L V-8 is very powerful and can accelerate very fast for an SUV. It is very comfy on the inside and overall a great car.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

by Lance from Alabama on Fri Jul 17 2009

I bought my '99 Grand Cherokee when it was 6 months old; a former rental vehicle. I tried several brands of 4X4 SUVs, but I chose the GC because of it's ride and handling. It handles very well, and off-road prowess is great. The only problems I have had was with electric radiator fans that would stop working after a few months. After the third fan replacement in the last two years, I installed a belt-driven fan and clutch assembly for better reliability, and unplugged the electric fan. (The fitting for the mechanical clutch/fan is already on the front of the water pump.) Now, with the mechanical fan, my air conditioner works extremely well on the hottest days (+102F), and combined gas mileage actually improved by 1.5 MPG (from 17 to 18.5). I think it's because the constantly spinning fan makes the a/c far more efficient than the cycle on/cycle off electric fan did, which means the a/c compressor doesn't run all the time on hot days trying to keep the vehicle's interior cool. Plus, I don't have to worry about the mechanical fan failing and stranding me 105 miles from home, like the electric one did on July 4th. I recommend this vehicle.

Great truck

by Todd from Minnesota on Thu Mar 08 2012

I really enjoy my 99 grand, this little truck is one of the most reliable vehicles out there, I can trust that my jeep will get me where I want to go whether its out on the town or through the most difficult terrain. I have 257k+ miles on mine and still going strong. Has gotten me through some tough winters. I love my jeep!

My Jeep

by Jeep Josh from Missouri on Tue Feb 10 2009

I drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and wouldn't want any other car. I live in the Midwest and must drive in multiple conditions which the Grand Cherokee has no problem with. It handles well and makes turning almost like driving a car. It runs great in the cold and snow or in the dead heat of summer. I've never had any problems with it other than regular upkeep.

First Jeep

by Average Joe from Eastern, NC on Thu May 28 2009

I bought my first ever Jeep Grnd Cherokee at a repo auction 4 years ago. She was in pretty rough shape but I got a great deal on her. Not appearing very well taken care of, I figured it to be temporary transportation at best. That was FOUR YEARS AGO!!! She now has 185,000 miles on her and she still runs fantastic. I must say that the 4.0 6 cylinder is bullet proof. Not much on power but super reliable. I've heard from many who have exceeded 300k miles with little effort with this motor. I also love how these things come decked out. I've never had a vehicle with as many bells and whistles. At first I thought, " Great, let's see how long they work.." but wow, no problems there either. Sun roof, power windows(shocker), 4x4, power seats, heated mirrors, everything still working great at 10 years old and counting. I'm really impressed with this rough old girl. My Chevy, Ford's and Nissan's have never held up this well.

99-05 4.7L common problems

by Dovakiin from on Mon Feb 24 2014

There is an acceleration problem where the engine refuses to accelerate no mater what you do. With this acceleration problem, if you are driving slow enough/stopped, the engine will shut off almost every time. The worst part is, no shop can figure out why this is happening. Often when you unlock the door with the key and try to open it, the alarm will go off. Every once in a while, the key wont turn in the ignition and you have to fiddle with it for quite some time to get it to start. And recently, the locking mechanism for the hatchback broke. All these problems are quite common among the early 2000 model Grand Cherokees, especially the acceleration problem.

Does not recommend this car!!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Jeep Lover from Albany, NY on Sun Aug 12 2007

i bought a 1999 jeep grand cherokee with a little over 100,000 miles on it. now it has over 200,000 miles on it and it still is running amazing. best car ive ever owned. i thouhgt the gas milage was going to be terrible for this car but suprisingly it was not bad. much better then my previous yukon.this is the absolute best car in the snow. i live in upstate new york where snow is terrible and ive never been stuck once. the price for new jeeps are a little extreme, for example my brother bought and 06 model for close to $40,000 and it doesnt even have leather or a sunroof. but to be honest this suv is worth every penny. i know some people have had worse experiences with this car and have wrote bad reviews for it but in all honesty no car is perfect and every car will have its problems including $60,000 BMW's.

Great 4x4, but high maintenance.

by MT Man from Montana on Sun Nov 16 2014

This Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 can go through anything. Excellent in all weather conditions. I have Hankook Dynapro ATM tires and it's the perfect combo. Never had a better car in the snow. However, while the Jeep is a great vehicle it's pricey to maintain. Just about everything has been repaired or replaced. Got more money into the car than what I bought it for. MPG could be better. I get 16/24ish depending on conditions. Power with the V8 is good and passing is not a problem. Plastic lower body panels are good protection from rock chips, but fade to a blotchy gray. I like how high up I sit when I drive, though it does drive like a truck. You don't float like a Cadillac by any means. You feel the road, every little bump. Overall, if you want a good 4x4 that's also a daily driver get this car. I recommend it. Just realize that it comes with maintenance.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee started the revolution toward stylish, upscale sport-utility vehicles in 1992, just as the original Cherokee popularized the whole sport-ute segment a decade earlier.

But for '99, the all-new Grand Cherokee is playing catch-up in a world crowded with Navigators, Escalades, Land Cruisers, ML430s and other cushy high-end utes that have taken the place of luxury cars in ritzy driveways.

No doubt the erstwhile Grand Cherokee needed updating. Despite its rugged good looks and abilities, it was noisy, gobbled gas and suffered from spotty reliability. That, and the interior, needed some attention.

And in redesigning the Grand Cherokee, DaimlerChrysler (nee Chrysler Motors) faced... Read More