2004 Maxima

2004 Nissan Maxima

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have you driven the 2004 Nissan Maxima?

2004 Nissan Maxima SE

by Long-time Nissan owner from Mississippi on Sat Sep 20 2014

First, we have owned 4 Nissan cars, 3 Nissan trucks, and the trucks were purchased from the family business when "retired." The current 2004 Nissan Maxima we purchased in 2004 with 3 miles on it, still in "plastic." It now has over 250,000 and the major issue was having to replace the control console on the Dual-Control A/C and a sensor/resistor. Cost about $550. Other than this, it has been routine service every 3000 miles. We use quality oil, oil filter each time, have replaced tires @ about 60,000 miles as needed , and a VERY expensive headlight. Fog lights have occasionally stopped working, then start again. Headliner along rear window top area has started to "unglue" but is still repairable with minimum effort & time if I'd just remember to do it when @ home. All of our Nissans have been wonderful vehicles. When the time comes, if we can afford a new Maxima, we will stick with what works. Good mileage and comfortable when traveling. The Bose radio system really can crank out the music, and the XM is used more than any other radio feature. We love our Nissans!

transmission problems

by my lastmaxima from texas on Sat Nov 23 2013

I bought this case with 42k miles on it, excellent first owner, all service records provided. At around 60k, problems started, it will leak with it rains. Center console and inside door panel will be wet. The sliding sunroof will spontaneously open while driving, embarrassing with company in the car. Anyways that's small problems. At around 85k, the gear started shifting hesitantly from R to D or from P. Very subtle at first, then a few months after notice a huge losses of power and started giving a noticeable pause/lurch when driving and heard changes, you feel it more in lower gear. By this time I took it to the shop, had the engine mounts replaced, $300 after extended warranty. This was a fix for a month, then it started back, this time worse. The car cut off on my at a traffic light, it would cut off after driving it for a few minutes. This was a dangerous situation just trying to get home. Next day, took it to the shop. Thank God for that extended warranty. New transmission cost $5k plus other sensors. ,I paid only th deductible. One year later, exactly one year later, problems again with the acceleration and shifting in low gear. Parked the car immediately and brought to the shop the next day, this time some sensors btw tranny failed + got other little things looked at. This maxed out my extended warranty. So now I'm just sitting on thin ice, waiting to save up some money to get out of this car. And if you're wondering, I did all the recommended service etc err rd and my family only had nissan vehicles.

Does not recommend this car!!

Family car AND fun? YES!!!

by kingobeach from Kansas City, MO on Thu Aug 12 2010

This is the 3rd Maxima I've owned and it takes the fun factor to a much higher level than my previous one. The acceleration is strong once you reach the upper rpm's (3800+ thanks to the variable valve technology) and handling is great. The ride may be firm for those accustomed to a Lincoln, Cadillac or Lexus but I like it. The interior is amazingly roomy and seats are very comfortable - even at my size (6' 2"/230 lbs). Fuel economy driving about 60% highway has consistently been around 23 mpg. I bought this used with 126k miles on it so did have a couple relatively minor issues to resolve. The only problem I have now is a known issue with the radio where the front left speaker cuts out (only) when playing a cd. Though I've only had it 4 months, it's my second favorite car ever. I would definitely recommend one to someone looking for a sports car but married to someone that wants a family-friendly vehicle. The auto transmission also has the slap-shift feature which allows you to manually select gears making this car even more fun - and safe on icy/slippery roads.

Unpredictable

by charris from Virginia on Thu Feb 27 2014

I bought my 04 SE with 120k miles on it. Noticed the same trans problems a lot of other people have mentioned. Shifts really hard and jerks between gears during normal highway driving. Kinda scary when you're not expecting it. I haven't had it replaced it yet but it needs it. I'm now at 171k and it hasn't left me stranded yet. I did have the throttle position sensor changed but would definitely look somewhere else next time for a different car. I love the performance aspect and all of the options on this car (especially the heated steering wheel) but the transmission is a large component to have go bad.

Not Maxima

by Bug Lady from Dalton , Georgia on Tue Mar 23 2010

This engine performs great but uses oil. The car handles poorly in rain and on rough roads. Always a new rattle and knock under the hood. The A/C and heater controls have a mind of their own. The Bose stereo is outstanding and the heated leather sets are very comfortable. This 2004 Maxima doesn't come close to the quality or performance of the the 1999 Maxima I owned for 10 years.

Does not recommend this car!!

Most powerful and reliable vehicle.

by Zachary from Philadelphia, PA on Fri Sep 29 2006

All power options! Maximum safety and economy! Redesigned and more upscale than ever before, the 2004 Maxima re-emerges as the car it used to be - one of the best combinations of performance, luxury and value in the midsize segment. It arrives with a roomier interior, lots of upscale options and a V-6 that purrs. It bounces back in its original role as Nissan's "premier" car, second only to the Z in name recognition.

Luxury Prestige and Good Horse Power

by katanga from New york 11434 on Fri Dec 15 2017

This vehicle performs extremely well for being 13 years old. It starts as soon as you turn the Key. It is reliable, comfortable and drives very well.

its an ok car

by nickb from Queens, New York on Thu Jun 15 2017

buying it with a lot of miles comes with a lot of headache. the oil is the primary thing, always check that.

My Second Max

by Maxima Fan from Waynesville, MO on Wed Dec 22 2010

I bought my 95' Maxima with 171,000 miles on it. 5 spd of course. I like the manual shifts because the engines last longer. Now I just bought an 04 with 67,736 miles on it. It has all the creature comforts and it is also a six spd, the executive edition. The only thing that had to be fixed was the throttle position sensor which the dealer replaced and the battery. I 'm satisfied with the exception of the Skyview Roof. Would have preferred the moonroof. Overall, it is truly the best reliable sports sedan for the money.

04 Maxima

by Burned by Nissan from Western NC on Tue Jul 17 2012

When I finally found a 6th generation Maxima I could afford I was so excited. She was a crimson color with charcoal interior and had 88k miles. Since our little 87 Nissan truck has over 100k and given very little trouble, I just knew the high miles meant nothing, a Nissan's supposed to go forever. What I didn't know is that the 04-06 Maximas all share a faulty transmission. This problem affects Volvos with the same transmission, it's called "shift-bang." What that does is the car will jerk when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Eventually it will also start hesitating when you shift from R to D, then jerk into gear. Besides being aggravating, it will also break the motor mounts. I found out all this stuff from researching the Web and seeing the hundreds of stories from other folks with the same problem. Of course, Nissan Corp. "Could not help me with this problem." I paid a little over $1000 to put on a new valve body and it solved the problem. 6 months later, a new noise emerged from the engine. The Nissan dealership charged $90 to tell me it was "Something in the transmission." Another shop confirmed that for free. Options were a rebuild or remanufactured transmission, the latter being nearly $4000 with a 12-month waranty. This was 6 months after spending $1000! I had other problems that were certainly reasonable with a high-mileage car, but the tranny problem can show up at less than 50k. I got lucky with a trade-in, and bought a Honda coupe. I will never buy another Nissan, they are the best-looking vehicles on the road but the most expensive to maintain.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2004 Nissan Maxima

Don't consider this a quiz as much as a good ol' fashioned jog of the brain: Quickly now, what ever happened to the Nissan Maxima?

You remember the Maxima, right? It was the sedan signified by . . . (We'll wait for the response.)

OK. Wasn't it the one that had the unique . . . (Still waiting.)

To be fair, you couldn't be blamed if you forgot about the Nissan Maxima, especially with the recent explosion of the Altima, its smaller cousin. Maxi-who? Maxi-what?

Maxi-exactly.

In the swirl of press surrounding the redesign of the Altima, it is understandable if you can't put your finger on the Maxima's whereabouts. The Altima did, after all, take home a rather memorable Car of the Year honor not... Read More