2005 Grand Prix

4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Silver Bullet

by calexander from lufkin, texas on August 20, 2011

I have enjoyed my car. I purchased my 05 Pontiac used with 89000 miles, now she has 132000 & still going strong. I have never done any major repair work on her; just the usual oil changes/tune ups.

The best american car for the money

by Cash Money from Moss Point, MS on February 8, 2012

I will keep this short and simple my wife and i have owned a 1997 Grand Prix SE for three years now and have only had to replace the serpentine belt. It has over 200000 miles on it. GM did it right with the 3800 class of motors! Naturally i am lookling for another Poniac Grand Prix or Grand AM just the best car for the money!!!

Nice, reliable GTP sedan with with a big flaw.

by Chris Dobbs from Rochelle, IL on June 6, 2006

I've owned this 2005 GP GTP for almost a year, and have put over 21K miles on it. It has been a reliable car, that handles pretty well for an almost two ton sedan, and has a lot of power, because of the supercharger. The cabin is pretty quiet, except for the droning of the Michelin MXV4 energy plus tires, that, after about 12000 miles got extremely loud, and make my car sound like an eighteen wheeler. The black and grey interior is really boring, so I applied an aftermarket dash trim kit. The dash and shifter are coordinated well, surrounding the driver in comfort. There is plenty of trunk space and interior seating room. My only serious gripe is a mechanical omission by Pontiac, which to me is a slap in the face. This car is as I said, supercharged, but isn't intercooled. The car is equipped with knock sensors which detect preignition. When the computer detects the beginnings of knock, it temporarily retards the timing. This robs me of power and mpg's(not to mention it's hard on the engine itself). GM put's intercoolers on their supercharged cobalts and ions, but doesn't put them on this car, which costs several thousand more than either of those vehicles. The result is that my car had plenty of knock retard running on 93 octane gas. I had to do some engine modifications myself to get rid of some of this kr. I looked up the grand prix reliability of a couple years ago, and the non sc gp's were among the most reliable, and the gtp sc engined grand prix was among the worst. Maybe the need for an intercooler has something to do with this. Well I seem to have the kr pretty well under control, after plenty of experimenting with engine modifications, but, in my opinion, the engineers at the car company, which happily took my money, should have done the experimenting.

Does not recommend this car!!

A Whole Lot of Fun

by Raptorsmasher from Rocklin, CA on February 7, 2012

I recently purchased my GXP from a private party in Southern California. The second I got behind the wheel, I knew this car was for me. With 303 horsepower (5.3 V8) and a whole lot of torque (323), one gets a lot of bang for their buck. This car is both comfortable and fast, and she has a sweet purr out of the exhaust. I have seen many reviews speak of the front wheel drive torque-steer as if that were a major issue. Believe me, it's not. For your dollar, you can't go wrong with this car. One final issue is the gas mileage. If you put your foot into it most of the time, you will get 16 mpg, but if you feather it down the highway, 25 mpg is the average.

Fun and Exciting Vehicle

by Mommy Racer! from on October 19, 2010

This car is so much fun to drive! It is my race car! It turns heads everywhere I go and it is so freakin fast (it doesn't drain my tank either!)!!! Its also very reliable, easy to maintain, and all the extra features are fantastic!

This has been a great run with my 05 comp G

by Addicted to speed from Houston, TX on November 17, 2012

Bought my baby new in 04. One tap on the gas and I was hooked. Probably didn't need to spring for comp g, but I?ve been using technology for 8 years is still ahead of the curve. (Me: Tap shift, HUD (which like the guy earlier said is out, but inexpensive to fix, just time consuming) Wife: heated seats and dual climate control. In sales, anything other than a sedan is a risk. I shudder to think of telling a senior executive that would like to join us for lunch ?let me get that seat for you.? That being said I?m continually on the quest for the perfect sedan. 8 years and 103,000 miles later I?ve looked at Cadillac CTS, BMW 335, and Infinity G37 and have come to the conclusion that none motivate me enough to leave my Comp G. Only thing I did was upgrade the factory radio to a Kenwood double din (with integration into the steering wheel controls) Added 2 x JL slash amps and a sub enclosure with dual 10? JL subs in the huge trunk. More than enough room for 2 sets of golf clubs. Hardwired a radar detector up by the mirror nice and clean. So with GM (government motors) in all their infinite wisdom selecting Buick over Pontiac I?m in a quandary. My history: 1974 Le Mans, 1979 Trans Am (with the bird), 1994 Grand AM, 1999 Grand Am Ram Air GT, and 2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G. Loved them all. I will never own a Buick. My decision: I will drive this car until I am forced to buy something else and for the first time in my life I am pretty sure it will not be American.

An overall good car

by GP Owner from on October 29, 2009

I bought my 05 Grand Prix with 29,000 miles on it when it was just one year old. As soon as it reached 65,000 miles, my engine went kaput. There was no warning, not even a single warning light. It was fairly inexpensive to repair and throughout the process, I was told that this happening was extremely rare. I still don't know exactly what happened to that engine, but it shouldn't of ever left me stranded at the edge of the road in a 2-year-old vehicle. My car is now 5-years-old and has 80,000 miles on it (about 50,000 on its new-used engine). It is definetly squeeking and squaking at me. And even though I truly do love it deep down inside, I can't wait to get a new car!

Does not recommend this car!!

overall best bang for the buck!

by Hot Car! from Atlantic City, NJ on August 17, 2009

My 05 grand prix GT was purchased certified used with 34k miles and 1 year 20k miles later i am still satisfied. When i first test drove the vehicle i immediately fell in love. The features i like best are the styling, both exterior + interior, along with performance and handling. Pontiac is no stranger to making exceptionally performing vehicles. Compared to other cars in the same class from my experience, the ability of the grand prix to handle whatever you throw at it is great, whether it be acceleration or taking a 25 mph turn going 55 mph and being confident that your car can handle it without making any modification . The car is wider than most cars in its class which gives it great turn hugging ability. Even in winter weather the grand prix's Electronic stability system well exceeded my expectation when it was needed to perform. There was very minimal slippage on ice even when i had tires that lower than normal tread left. The amount of features available are great. Everything i need to know about the cars performance is right in front of me at the drivers information center panel which is generously faced towards the driver to deter others from touching your radio, giving you more control of the cockpit-like driver area. It explains everything from tire pressure, instant and average MPG with range calculation which is a big help to help manage gas consumption and controls that basically let you customize how your interior and exterior features operate. Many compliments have been given to me about the interior and exterior styling which i also feel is superior to other cars in its class. The ride comfort is also great. I feel like I?m in a cadillac when i go over a small hill or bump in the road because the sport suspension gets right back to comfortable quick with minimal disruption to the cabin. Overall the quality is great and everyone loves my car also. Its definitely an eye catcher.

If you're not out buying one yet... you're crazy!

by ad_1389 from Michigan on August 9, 2009

One of the best cars i have ever owned! great comfort, great handling, great car! not as easy to get in and out of if you're taller becuase of how low the car sits, but handle great in rain and snow. I love my car!

Best car I've owned

by Woody from Oakville, on Canada on January 23, 2015

I started off looking at and test driving a buick lacrosse. Then I was shown a Grand Prix. I took it for a drive and right away knew it was the car for me. It is so comfortable to drive and the controls are easy to use and are angled toward the driver. I like the exterior styling, having received compliments. The interior is not as nice. Too much plastic, and limited head room . Although I like the red lighting, and the seat fabric is holding up well. The paint still looks good and I have had the windows tinted. The 3800 motor is said to be bulletproof and the tranny shifts smoothly. This is the base sedan , but comes well equipped.

1 2 3 4