2018 RAM 1500 consumer reviews

Explore the 2018 1500 RAM
Shop the 2018 1500 RAM
4.4

Great Vehicle for Mileage and Price

Meets all our needs. Safe, Reliable, Performance and Value for the money are top par. But less stars for styling, etc. but that was out of my choice for this truck to not have all the bells and whistles. NOT reflecting the condition or anything of that matter of the truck I purchased. It is clean as a whistle, with low miles, and purchased a 6 year newer truck with 60,000 less miles, and make the same payment I do on my previously owned 2013 with 92,000 miles.

3.4

Fun to drive (when it works).

I owned a 2018 Ram 1500 that I purchased new, and owned for three years total. I sold it because I just couldn’t justify the cost of ownership, and it was easily the most unreliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. I spent the first TWO YEARS of ownership taking it back and forth to various dealerships because the battery would drain within hours. A few dealership locations swore nothing was wrong with it, one even tried to claim I had the battery cables barely attached and that was the issue. Of course I’m not that slow, so I was fed up and insulted. Not the first or last time I was insulted by a Ram dealership, but that’s not what this review is about. Once I decided that free dealership diagnostics were hopeless, I started learning the basics of diagnosing electrical problems on my own. It turned out the radio was staying on somehow (with the screen and sound completely off) and draining the battery. That is an expensive fix, which is why dealerships did everything in their power not to properly diagnose and replace it under warranty. Eventually, a great service provider at a dealership an hour away did the swap after I came in and informed him of the specific issue. But was that the end of my electrical issues? Nope. Mysterious battery drain still happened occasionally, and it completely diminished my faith in my vehicle and the brand. A tinge of anxiety would appear before starting my truck, mostly because I dreaded needing to jump it or haul the battery back inside to recharge it for hours just to go for a drive. That was just the most frequent of the issues, though. There were other “smaller” and less frequent issues, such as stalling out during u turns for some odd reason. I would have to put the transmission in neutral, turn off the car, turn it back on, and hope during all this I wouldn’t get t boned when this happened on a hill. Maybe that wasn’t the proper way to handle the issue, but trust me, I tried just putting it back in drive again before restarting the vehicle. Never worked. That happening even once is unacceptable, but it happened at least five times. I say “at least” because a few times I’ve let friends borrow my truck for short trips, and they’ve reported the same. Occasionally, it felt as if gears were being skipped when accelerating. The truck would also creak, moan, and whine whenever I would pull out of a parking spot that was on a slight incline. Mind you I always made sure to do basic preventative maintenance, and I always used the parking brake. Most times I wouldn’t be able to fill my tank up in a timely manner because the evap canister was faulty and stopped the gas pump within seconds of beginning to refuel. Sometimes the interior would smell like gas. Despite these issues (and plenty more), I did have a lot of fun driving this truck both on and off road (more like overlanding, never rock crawling, as this was the 4x4 Rebel) when it *did* work. I just wish it could’ve been decently reliable. For the price I paid, I could've (at the time, certainly not now with the chip shortage and rapid appreciation in price) bought a used raptor instead, but I passed up on those and PAID MORE for this. Ironically enough because I wanted a new car with less potential issues. Online it seemed (at the time) that a late 4th gen Ram was the way to go. Boy was I wrong. Oh, and for the kicker, want to guess how many miles I had on it when it started having issues? I’ll give you a hint: less than 5,000. I sold the truck at less than 40k miles after three years because I couldn’t trust it to do any driving over substantial distances without completely quitting on me. So would I recommend this truck? NEVER. Especially not now during the chip shortage when it sells for close to what I paid brand new in 2018. I was glad to get whatever I could for it just to lose the headache. I didn’t even bother trying to recover more cash when selling it. You can avoid the headache I had for three years by not purchasing it at all. P.S.-Avoid the 5th gen rams too. They’re even worse in my first hand experience dealing with the ones owned by friends. Those ones are straight up death traps. Do your own research into those if my review didn’t convince you to stay clear of anything made by FCA. As long as you don’t fall for the fanboy hype and the nice looks, you’ll quickly learn just how awful FCA vehicles are. Learn from the mistakes of others.

1.9

Extremely disappointed

Uconnect software update, froze up my controls, now they are charging me for new one, and they have me over a barrel. Message of failure to download will not turn off, have to u hook terminals to stop from draining battery dead

3.7

Eco diesel has been very good

It has been very good. Only had one recall and service work done. 22-27 mpg. And adequate power. 4x4 works well and is comfortable. Good solid truck.

Great Truck

I traded in my 4Runner on this Ram. The 4Runner was great I just missed having a truck. I love the low price with all of the features that come with it. When compared to the other trucks that you pay more and get less with you can't go wrong. I got the 5.7L Hemi and love it!

RAM, my new Cadillac

Always a Cadillac lover, but mountain terrain requires a little more grit. Needed a vehicle that could traverse the mountain roads but allow clients to still enjoy the Cadillac feel. Works on all levels!

Almost as good as my Hummer 2 was

Wish it had off-road tires like the Hummer 2; they were great in snow. Didn't mind paying $100-$400/tire. Computer screen should be tilted to left for Driver. Radio buttons too complicated. Buttons for Driver heat, and heated wheel, plus switch to 4 wheel drive, down too low. Have no place for purse when middle console for cups flipped down.

Great room inside

This truck has great room front and back it doesn't make you feel like you are bunched together. It has a nice ride on smooth and not so smooth roads.

4.0

Rams are great for light use

I like the ram truck its great for light use (as in hauling stuff on occasion). I mostly use it as a daily driver. Its roomy cab and good size bed. Some blind spots is the biggest negative fun to drive for me because I have had one in the past.

4.1

Hope to be taking delivery Friday

Low mileage with existing factory warranty. Just what we were looking for (retired and will have for many years). Requirements all met, truck to haul with and room for us and the dogs👍